Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Weekly Smorgasbord

This week's links:



  











Posted: 31 Jul 2012 12:50 PM PDT
"Dear Body, I now love you for your brokenness and imperfections and the shame you were willing to carry and the heaviness of old story you lifted with me. If I had to do it again, if I had to fly again down those stairs, so I can understand a little of the suffering and desperation and loneliness of others, I would do it again."

This was a hard read. Hard but good.

My, My, My…Body
Posted: 31 Jul 2012 12:48 PM PDT
The link that led me to this post on Twitter said it was "sexy as hell" and y'all....it is. Nothing graphic, but don't read if it's not your thing. Also? it's a bit heartbreaking.



Marriage Letters
Posted: 31 Jul 2012 12:45 PM PDT
"The names I call you take an attribute that I recognize in you and then they set a course for you. You have certainly called me things that I would never have seen, and those things are becoming true of me, in the way I see myself. We all make choices based on who we think we are, what we've been called."

I'm going back and rereading the "Marriage Letters" that I missed and I'm loving them (and will probably link to them) all.

Posted: 31 Jul 2012 12:44 PM PDT
"Looking back, maybe it was easier for me in a way, because I had less of a life of my own to give up-no career I adored (I honestly don't think I will ever adore a career...maybe "like" but not "adore"? we'll see one day), no night life, or fancy trips to look back on and crave more of. No "peace in the house" as my sweet little pondering Andrew put it. Maybe I was lucky in a way, because I got exactly what I needed at the time. I wouldn't change a thing for the world."

Carrie and I had this conversation the other day. Sometimes I think we have it easier than a lot of other mommas because there's just nothing to really compare it to. I've spent almost all my adult life being a wife and momma and it's been so good.

thankful house: Share my watermelon?
Posted: 31 Jul 2012 12:42 PM PDT
"So, they can hush up. They can get a life. They can get over it. Catering to them only spoils them and makes you miserable. However, I can also hush up. I shouldn't bend my every facet to meet their every whim (which was the nurse's point, and remains quite valid). But, I should also not expect that of them."

 "I am here to serve them, after all; to serve them as Christian brothers and sisters.Often, the way I serve is through discipline and guidance.But, sometimes, the way I need to serve is to get on the floor in the blanket fort, and, in the sentiments of Clark W. Griswold, "Have a good time, dammit."

I tend to ere on the side of being "not fun" myself, and I've been trying to get out of my comfort zone and try to do some the fun activities I usually leave for Peyton (climbing in the playhouse, letting AP cook with me, ect.)







In which this is saving my life right now | Sarah Bessey
Posted: 31 Jul 2012 12:37 PM PDT
Gorgeous post. And also, I was thankful for this opportunity.

12 Years and Why Are We Married Again?
Posted: 31 Jul 2012 12:36 PM PDT
"This was and is the answer my soul was desperate for hearing. "Why marriage?" Because I would give my living and dying breath to reflect an image like that – an image of a marriage declaring an insurmountable love."
Powerful stuff here, friends.

Moses died today
Posted: 31 Jul 2012 12:35 PM PDT
I don't even know what to say about this one. I was just drawn to it and captivated by it.



In which we are colouring in summer | Sarah Bessey
Posted: 31 Jul 2012 12:34 PM PDT
What a fun idea! This is just so much more my style than those sleek printables. We're doing the rainbow bucket list and I might do something different in the Fall if I can come up with it!
Love Well: Planned Spontaneity
Posted: 31 Jul 2012 12:32 PM PDT
"But that was my first clue. I like spontaneity - if I can control it. Enter the oxymoron: planned spontaneity."

This is so me.

Knowing God by Name
Posted: 31 Jul 2012 12:31 PM PDT
"Sometimes The Lord is Peace sounds like my mother, loving tenderness weaving through every word, and I am comforted soul-deep; sometimes The Lord Who Makes Holy sounds like my sarcastic professor, cutting clarity punctuating every sentence, and my pride and I are put back in our place. Always God sounds like Jesus, even if they're words he never spoke; always God sounds like Scripture, even if they're sentences I never read."

This is beautiful.



Why It’s Okay to Not Be Enough | (in)courage
Posted: 31 Jul 2012 12:27 PM PDT
"When we boast in our weakness, our hearts hurt for the struggles of others, and we are more willing to share even in our little. A sufficient grace makes our weaknesses our power. The accomplishments of others begin to seem right, and whatever I receive, I accept it with gratitude....So when the mighty fall, when the rich go bankrupt, and the greatest dreams land broken, we can say to ourselves and to all the world what is true. His grace is sufficient. Power is perfected in weakness. Only after our deaths are we resurrected."

PREACH.
suzannah paul | the smitten word: converted
Posted: 31 Jul 2012 12:20 PM PDT
"There was a definite conversion: your words transmuted us to you and me."

The reason I'm linking to this is probably not the reason you think. In fact, I hesitated to link to it last week for several reasons. For one thing, I've had this conversation (re: spanking) with people in a way that never "transmuted us to you and me" and I don't want anyone to think that's why I'm linking to it. More importantly, while I wouldn't try to convert my "single payer heath care" friends to a Republican agenda and I don't try to "convert" my friends from other denominations to Methodism, had I a Buddhist friend I most certainly would consider it my call and duty to try to "convert" them in the sense of leading them to Christ. All that said, I had to link this week because this post (specifically the last phrase quoted above) has been on my mind so much. It'll probably become a full post one day, but sometimes it's hard for me to balance my passion for things with grace and humility.  I know that over the course of this blog I've probably done that which I hate- transmuted some of y'all from an "us" relationship to a "you and me" one and it breaks my heart that I've done that.  I'm still trying to figure it all out.  
Her.meneutics: Bowing Down to Your Birthing Ball?: Dismantling the Idol of the Perfect Birth
Posted: 30 Jul 2012 11:11 AM PDT
I think it's very, very possible to make a birth experience into an idol (and to people who birth is not a big deal to, I know that sounds *super* weird). I actually really struggled with this and had several conversations with Peyton and one of my closest friends about how I would feel if my "perfect birth" was never actualized. I want to say that I don't think it's wrong disappointing. I know that's natural and on some level, I think I would have even grieved that perfect birth, regardless of Graves's health (again, I know that blows some people's mind and they think it's shallow). So, to an extent, I don't agree with everything here. But I do totally agree it can be made into an idol (as anything can).

Posted: 26 Jul 2012 09:57 PM PDT
"The question of whether or not Maryan or her friends can "have it all" is worthless to them; they fully expect to sacrifice themselves on the altar of motherhood, to give of their time and energy and bodies until there is nothing left. Here in the west we have the luxury of arguing our life choices, of casting our votes on how other women live their lives; but there are pockets all over the world dealing daily with tragedies not so existential in nature."

Posted: 26 Jul 2012 09:20 PM PDT
"If my child speaks in the tongues of men or of angels, masters sign language at six months and Spanish and Mandrin Chinese by six years, but does not learn to love, she is only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If he has the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge-ABCs at a year, reading by two, writing chapter books in Kindergarten-but does not have love, he is nothing. If I volunteer for every mommy ministry-MOPS, AWANA, Sunday School, and if I give all I possess to the poor (or at least bring loads of groceries to the foodbank), but do not have love, I gain nothing."

Posted: 26 Jul 2012 01:32 PM PDT
"On both sides of our latest culture war divide, we must learn to have level-headed disagreements without resorting to accusations of hate speech and boycotts. As Josh Ozersky argued on TIME Thursday, 'businesses should be judged by their products and their practices, not by their politics.'"

This is my stand on the issue.

Posted: 26 Jul 2012 01:17 PM PDT
"These quiet, compelling photographs elicit a reaction that Mr. Parks believed was critical to the undoing of racial prejudice: empathy. Throughout his career, he endeavored to help viewers, white and black, to understand and share the feelings of others. It was with this goal in mind that he set out to document the lives of the Thornton family, creating images meant to alter the way Americans viewed one another and, ultimately, themselves." "More than anything, the "Segregation Series" challenged the abiding myth of racism: that the races are innately unequal, a delusion that allows one group to declare its superiority over another by capriciously ascribing to it negative traits, abnormalities or pathologies. It is the very fullness, even ordinariness, of the lives of the Thornton family that most effectively contests these notions of difference, which had flourished in a popular culture that offered no more than an incomplete or distorted view of African-American life."





Enjoy!

1 comment:

suzannah | the smitten word said...

thank you for the link!

my mother called me, worried, after i posted that poem, mostly because she thought i didn't believe in sharing my faith anymore. i do, just within the context and reciprocity of relationship:)