Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Home Living Herrington Style: Kitchen Edition


I've been meaning to do some "house updates" type posts forever, and since we've been getting work done on our house, it reminded me again and I decided I didn't want to put it off anymore.  Definitely the biggest change recently (like gradually, over the past, oh, year) has been the kitchen.

Here's a before shot:

The first change was getting rid of the wine rack and adding a play kitchen. I think having a  kitchen for the kids in the big kitchen is so much fun. It wouldn't fit in their room, but I like it better in the kitchen anyway!
 

Our first big project was changing the cabinets.  The stain of them wasn't very pretty and they just seemed outdated and gross from a lot of wear. This is them before:

The project was a pretty big undertaking.  Peyton took off work and did it himself and it was ALOT.

And here they are finished:

We left the doors off one set and I LOVE how it turned out!


The next thing we wanted to tackle was the floor and we knew better than to do that by ourselves. We did pull up the old floor but then we had someone come and lay the brick pavers that we decided on.



I think they turned out pretty well!
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-aZjT0vUi0P0/UCCpuoW9KeI/AAAAAAAAQQc/SiOnBW5cq54/s1600/Graves_20120730_002_edited-1.jpg

I had a couple more small "crafty" things I wanted to do. First, I whipped up a curtain to hide our trash cans. [We used to have (nonfunctional) trash compactor in that space.] This was actually my first sewing project on my new machine and the first thing ever that I did with no instructions/pattern.  I was pretty proud of myself!


Next, we added this little table we painted (hey, can y'all guess my favorite color?). I didn't realize I'd use it for this, but right now it houses most of our homeschool resources.


Finally, and I was really pretty proud of this, because I'm SO not artsy and I think it turned out okay (and also because I came up with this idea in my head without even a Pinterest prompt or anything- not saying it hasn't been done, but I haven't seen it). Anyway, I used some ModgePodge, scrapbook paper, paint, and an old window frame.
 
 

And that's it. I think the room has totally changed it's look and I'm really proud of how far it's come!

1 comment:

The Niemeyer Nest said...

I love it especially the red frame with the fruits of the spirit! Very pretty! I also love the floors. Is it hard to keep brick pavers clean? We put hardwoods in our kitchen and I have regretted it since the day they were installed. It's impossible to keep clean.