Friday, August 31, 2012

Skillz Set: Ann Peyton Says Her Catechism



At this point, Ann Peyton's favorite part of school is definetly saying her catechism. As in, we started doing it once a day at the Morning Meeting and then we decided to do it at night, too and then this week she started requesting to do it before her nap. So, we work on it three times every day now.

One thing that has been neat about starting to do school with our little punkin is that we're already seeing where her strengths lie.  I really believe all children at this age are sponges, so I don't think she's really out of the ordinary, but memorization has been an area she's really excelled in so far.  On the other hand, asking her to trace (something I'd think most kids would love) is like pulling teeth. She's not very good at it and it irritates her so much when I make her start over because she's all over the place.

[Also, sidenote: I hate that I feel like I need to do this, but with this type of post I feel like I do.  I hope this doesn't seem like bragging...Yes, we are very proud of her, but I'm not trying to be a show off.  First and formost, this blog is, before anything else, the one and only way I consistently document our lives and I want to include as much of them as I can here. If y'all enjoy this it will make me so happy, but my primary motivation is just to have it here for myself and Peyton and for her later.]

Anyway, we're memorizing a few different things, but her favorite is by far the catechism we're doing with her. I mentioned it before, but this specific one was written by Matt Friedeman. He teaches at WBS (where Peyton went for a while) among other things and is very active in pro-life/family ministry in our area. It was somewhat important to Peyton to use a catechism written from a Wesleyan perspective, so I'm glad we found this! It's neat watching these little trinkets become "hidden in her heart" and we anxiously await the day she will truly grasp their meaning.

Here's what she's learned so far:


1. Where do we learn how to love and obey God?
In the Bible
2. What is the Bible? 
Sixty-six God inspired books that teach us about God and how we can be holy as he is holy.
3. Who wrote the Bible? 
Across 1,600 years more than forty people who where guided and inspired by God.
4. Name the five books in the Bible that are called the Law. 
Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy.
5. What is the message of the Law? 
God is holy and He wants us to be like Him.
6. Name the Old Testament historical books. 
Joshua, Judges, Ruth, I and II Samuel, I and II Kings, I and II Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther.

At the end she gets goofy and starts talking about "milk spots" on her Little Miss Curious sticker.  Haha, I love this girl!

And I wanted to share this one more.  It's shorter and the same thing, but at the end you see her excitement over this whole activity:


I hope learning Truth always brings her such joy!



1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

That is impressive! She is so sweet!