Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Weekly Smorgasbord

Favorite links from last week:



    Posted: 14 Aug 2012 08:48 PM PDT
    "I used to call it depression, but it's not. That is a real things, a clinical thing, and this is just me, feeling bored, stupid, tired out, listless, sad, burned out, day after day after endless-never-ending-day."

     "Nope, it's the good, hard, real work of life, the repetitive work, the work that lets me rock back onto my heels with a satisfied feeling, a look-what-I-have-accomplished sense, that saves me in these seasons."

    "The work of my hands and my body pauses any existential crisis, the daily work of living redeems, and I feel the acedia fading with each day of right choices, one after another, each step of pushing back the darkness with fabric softener, veggies, backyard camping, laughter seeking, and newly-white bookcases in the fading sun."

    LOVE this.
    Posted: 14 Aug 2012 08:45 PM PDT
    I can't wait for this ebook!
    Posted: 14 Aug 2012 08:45 PM PDT
    "When it comes to faith, I find that there are two different types of metaphor. There are the ones that illuminate, in some humble way, the great mystery of God. And then there are the ones that reduce the whole thing to one small, knowable element…like driving a car, with Jesus sipping gas-station coffee right next to you."
    Posted: 14 Aug 2012 08:44 PM PDT
    "I credit this, even above any church service or big Christian conference I ever attended, with what has helped me the most in my year to year life with God." "The idea of studying a child's laughter or why a bird builds a nest near my dining room window comes easier to me because I've done it before and God has spoken to me through these things. I've practiced it with my own hands. The years when sermons seem dry and Bible studies bore are the years I find myself picking out a single verse and meditating on it over a kitchen sink full of dishes, my arms half deep in the soap. And to be alone, to be silent in communion with God is ever preferable to me over many other things."

    This is so fascinating. I want more of this in my life.
    Posted: 14 Aug 2012 08:42 PM PDT
    "But I'll leave those stacks of books beside the couch and I'll leave the house with dishes in the sink. I'll let friends pop in when the basement is a wreck and I'll nod politely to the blocks and action figures on my way up to bed and tell them I have too much life to live."
    Posted: 14 Aug 2012 08:42 PM PDT
    This breaks my heart.
    Posted: 14 Aug 2012 08:40 PM PDT
    This was an interesting little project I had fun participating in.
    Posted: 14 Aug 2012 08:39 PM PDT
    "And someday, maybe they will choose to let others help carry them when they can't make it anymore and when they are untethered and feel ill-equipped for the world like I so often do." I struggle with letting people see my humanity, and I think it's multiplied with my kids.
    Posted: 14 Aug 2012 08:37 PM PDT
    "What I need to know is if a blessed life is substantial. Take away the darlingness of my life, the ignorance I still live in, the wealth of stuff I own, and what I want to find out is, 'God, are You real? Are You operating as more than a celestial alms-giver in my life? Am I myself blessed, or am I just carrying around what others consider proof of blessing?'"

    I ask myself this a lot, too.
    Posted: 14 Aug 2012 08:36 PM PDT
    "Most bystanders passively accept bullying by watching and doing nothing. Often without realizing it, these bystanders also contribute to the problem. Passive bystanders provide the audience a bully craves and the silent acceptance that allows bullies to continue their hurtful behavior."

     Interesting and important.
    Posted: 14 Aug 2012 08:18 PM PDT
    "So if guilt has been chasing your around and yelling in your ear about how you can't do something unless you really feel it then it's time to kick guilt to the curb. Do it. Do it today. Do it tomorrow. Do it for the rest of your life. And when you get Home to hear, 'Well done, good and faithful servant" you'll feel what really matters most.'"
    Posted: 13 Aug 2012 10:34 PM PDT
    "Brother, if your sister tells you it hurts, it just hurts. If your sister tells you it wounded her, it just wounded her."
    Posted: 13 Aug 2012 10:18 PM PDT
    "I LOVE the term complementarian when it indicates that male and female were created in the image of God to reflect the whole of His character in a way that a single gender could not. I am glad to be a strong helper to my husband with God as my example of what a strong helper does. I receive God's instruction for wives to submit to their husband as a helpful tool when my husband and I hold differing opinions we can't work out with reasonable discussion (which is rare). I also value God's instruction for wives to respect their husbands, something I believe ministers great grace to our husbands when they are struggling with their own weight of responsibility."

    Posted: 11 Aug 2012 09:44 PM PDT
    LOTS of strong language, but this was really interesting to me.

    Posted: 10 Aug 2012 09:41 PM PDT
    "What I have found in every such home is a woman who loves her family and puts thought into making her home a cozy, comfortable place... a Sanctuary."

     I pray that our home is this for our children. And for us.
    Enjoy!

    No comments: