Friday, September 14, 2012

Tunes for the Month: September

I told y'all last week that I've decided to create monthly playlists and that I was going to blog about them, so here's the first one.  September's playlist was really fun to create and literally every song on it is one of my favorites.  Here they are:

1. Lonesome Day- Bruce Springsteen
Joke's on me, It's gonna be okay
If I can just get through this lonesome day

 
I put several songs from The Rising on this month's list because I've been missing listening to it (the copy of the CD we have is scratched) and because it's so relevant (as I mentioned, it's his 9/11 album).  Anyway, I listened to this one the other day and it felt so true to me.  It was a day Peyton was working a long shift and I was tired and cranky and I felt so much less alone hearing The Boss sing about someone else's lonesome day.

2. Watin' On a Sunny Day- Bruce Springsteen
This is another one of my top picks from The Rising.  It's hard to pick a favorite (excepting the title track), but I really like this one.

3. Mary's Place- Bruce Springsteen
Familiar faces around me
Laughter fills the air
Your loving grace surrounds me
Everybody's here
Furniture's out on the front porch
Music's up loud
I dream of you in my arms
I lose myself in the crowd 
Peyton hates this one.  I, on the other hand, LOVE it. It's one of those "take me back" songs.  For some reason, I remember driving home from a friend's house after a sleepover my senior year of high school and listening to this song. Also, does anyone not love the imagery of furniture on the front porch? This album wrecks me, but this is a song that makes me feel good.  Y'all I want to get all my best friends together, put my furniture on the front porch and be surrounded by loving grace.

4. The Rising- Bruce Springsteen
I wrote and wrote about this already, but it resonates on so many levels.  Obviously, I adore it as the tribute it was written to be.  It too serves as another take me back song and I feel myself back in my 4Runner with the windows down just singing my heart out about "a catfish dancing on the end of my line". Also, I would not be alone if I said that I think there are obvious references to the Resurrection in here.  Nish tweeted last night (and wrote this fabulous post recently) about hearing God in the secular and why we're afraid to do that. So I'm claiming it right now- I hear Him here.  That said, although he's clearly a secular musician, Springsteen himself says that his faith influences his writing more than his politics (and his politics seem to influence it a heck of a lot). All that to say, I'm pretty comfortable reading between the lines, espesially with this song.

5. My City of Ruins- Bruce Springsteen
Now the sweet veils of mercy
drift through the evening trees
Young men on the corner
like scattered leaves
The boarded up windows
The hustlers and thieves
While my brother's down on his knees

If that's not hauntingly beautiful, then I just don't know what is.  

And this-
Now with these hands
I pray Lord
with these hands
for the strength Lord
with these hands
for the faith Lord
with these hands
I pray Lord
with these hands
for the strength Lord
with these hands
for the faith Lord
with these hands
Come on rise up!
makes me want to do something BIG.   

The song was originally written to help promote revitalization of Asbury Park (don't think we won't be visiting New Jersey during our NYC year).  The area had really deteriorated due to a lot of different factors and Springsteen wanted to do his part to help restore it.  Peyton and I talk so often about the unfortunately similar situations in several beautiful areas around us. Anyway, Bruce kind of reworked the song after September 11 and that's what I think it's mostly associated with now.

6. Waiting for My Real Life to Begin- Colin Hay
This song will forever remind me of the weeks leading up to Graves's birth.  I almost get teary thinking about that time and this post. It's just surreal to think about life before he was a part of our family. Even though I don't think our family is complete, I feel "settled" in a way I didn't before him.  I think I'm just at a place of contentment with the fact that it's the four of us for awhile. It's so nice to not be in that "limbo" state anymore. Also? this is a beautiful song. 

7. On a Night Like This- Dave Barnes
Y'all I'm going to be crude for a second- if anything could drive me to hop under the covers it's this.  My friends were all so obsessed with "Dave" in college, but I didn't really get that into it.  But this song? Guys. It's steamy.  I don't know, I just think it's gorgeous. 

8. So Are You to Me- EastMountainSouth
As the music at the banquet
As the wine before the meal
As the firelight in the night
So are you to me
As the ruby in the setting

As the fruit upon the tree
As the wind blows over the plains
So are you to me 

Another wonderful love song that I don't think I'll ever get tired of.
9. Montezuma- Fleet Foxes
Oh how could I dream of such a selfless and true love
could I wash my hands of
just looking out for me

In dearth or in excess

both the slave and the empress
will return to the dirt I guess, naked as when they came

To me, the lyrics are powerful (um, "Could I wash my hands of just looking out for me", that preaches) and the music is so, so good. 

10. Battery Kinzie- Fleet Foxes
This song is downright depressing if you listen too hard (okay, if you listen at all), but the tune is so good that it's stuck being one of my current faves. 

11. Timshel- Mumford and Sons
I love Mumford. Period.  But this is my favorite.  Again, it does have kind of depressing undertones, but at least this one has some redeeming lyrics:
But you are not alone in this
And you are not alone in this
As brothers we will stand and we'll hold your hand
Hold your hand 
I think alot about my kids when I hear this one.  I love these lines:
And you are the mother
The mother of your baby child
The one to whom you gave life
 
And I will tell the night
Whisper, "Lose your sight"
But I can't move the mountains for you
 
12. Winter Song- Sara Bareilles
This is my winter song.
December never felt so wrong,
cause you're not where you belong;
inside my arms.

I still believe in summer days.
The seasons always change
and life will find a way.

Another song I just love, in spite of some dreariness.

13. Waiting for Tonight- Tom Petty
I discovered it recently, and the lyrics don't do much for me, but I love the music. 

14. Keeping Me Alive- Tom Petty
Well, sometimes we ride around
She plays the radio up loud
If I was sad, well, I'm happy now

And it feels so good to know
I got you, where you belong
Here in my heart, right by my side
Honey, you're getting me by
Yeah, keeping me alive

It feels good to end the list with a feel good song. I love this one.  The beat is catchy and that would be enough to put it on my list, but ya'll, Peyton and I do this....riding around, talking and listening to music and almost without fail when we do that I can say "If I was sad, well, I'm happy now".  That (and Peyton) are one of the things that "get me by" sometimes. 

I guess that's why I've enjoyed writing this post.  Sometimes, on hard days these songs, in a weird way, help me "get by".  Maybe they don't keep me alive, but they make me feel alive. And on the awesome days? They make them more awesome.

Part of my point is writing this is just for myself, I think it's fun and will probably be interesting to look back on.  But at the same time, as I said when I came up with this idea, I feel like music is one of the most important things (outside of people) in my life, so I thought sharing about it would help y'all know me a little better.

If anyone has any suggestions for my October list, I'd love to hear!

1 comment:

leahcolbeck.com said...

I so appreciate it when people share music - because it is not my forte that is for sure. And since I am about 5 years behind I finally listened to Mumford last month for the first time.