Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Weekly Smorgasbord

This week's list is longer than usual because it's been so long since I've done one! I actually have a few more links that I'm just going to add to next week's because it was getting overwhelming.



Posted: 03 Sep 2012 01:31 PM PDT
Hahaha!
Posted: 03 Sep 2012 01:30 PM PDT
"I can't help but wonder what we could learn if we weren't afraid to fail."
Posted: 03 Sep 2012 01:28 PM PDT
Beautiful.
Posted: 03 Sep 2012 01:27 PM PDT
You can probably guess that I'm excited about this. This is the first time they've chosen a book I've already (mostly) read!
Posted: 03 Sep 2012 01:26 PM PDT
I really do try to be wise with my words. I'm not always successful, I fear. This was an interesting post, though.
Posted: 03 Sep 2012 01:24 PM PDT
Interesting article on pacifism (that I don't entirely agree with...I don't think).
Posted: 03 Sep 2012 01:22 PM PDT
"What I do have, though, is a recent realization that as a dad, I want to do everything I can to protect my kids from anything that will force their hearts to ask, "'How many likes did I get?'"

Yes.
Posted: 03 Sep 2012 01:22 PM PDT
I love Mumford and also loved thinking of worship sounding secular songs.
Posted: 03 Sep 2012 01:19 PM PDT
Worth watching, in my opinion.
More Than a Sabbath: My Fast from Consuming | The High Calling
Posted: 01 Sep 2012 02:04 PM PDT
"We are gluttons for pixels, consuming our way toward some unnamed eighth deadly sin. I carry the buffet in my pocket, the entire Internet of humanity resting against my thigh for me to unwrap for a quick bite at any spare minute on any day." "If you love me, Don Draper says, then buy stuff.Jesus has different advice. "Do you love me?" he asks. Then feed my sheep."

Good take on consumerism.
Posted: 01 Sep 2012 01:56 PM PDT
I really don't have an issue with it. What say you?

Posted: 29 Aug 2012 09:56 PM PDT
"So here we are, still in our imperfect house. I take baths in my regular tub. I put my dishes and pans away in spaces that make no sense for them. I try not to pay attention to the things that bother me. My kids are happy and safe here, and that's all that really matters. I may not get my dream house now, but with every month that goes by, I get closer to my real dream: I'm one month closer to becoming completely debt free."

Loved this (via Peyton, of course).
Posted: 29 Aug 2012 09:55 PM PDT
This was an interesting read. It's a lot and I'm not saying I agree with every bit of it, but it was fascinating and I thought there were some very valid points.
Posted: 29 Aug 2012 09:54 PM PDT
"I kneel beside my tinies, this can be my cathedral. I set my hand on Joe's slow-breathing chest, his heart now calm, he smelled like baby soap and water, like fabric softener and a broken heart-being-mended, and I knew this: there is holy work in compassion, and in offering my presence, my validation, my listening ear, my broken mothering, and sometimes, simply the act of loving and listening and sitting with a soul in the midst of grief and upset – however childish and immature, or massive and grown-up and painful – is honey, and milk, and warmth, and rest, for the tired and suffering one."

Beautiful post!
Posted: 29 Aug 2012 09:53 PM PDT
"If ever I catch myself pretending or proving, I know I'm processing my hurt the wrong way. The right way is approaching this situation with soul integrity—responding in a way that's honest but also peacemaking."

I really want to read Unglued.

Posted: 27 Aug 2012 09:43 PM PDT
"In the wake of a terrorist attack in Egypt that left 21 minority Christians dead at the hands of radical Muslims, there was fear throughout the country that any Christian gathering was a target. So when Christmas Eve came just a few days later, Christians left their houses for church services feeling like there was a bull's-eye on their back. And sure enough, what they found when they arrived at their Christmas Eve services was a mob of Muslims waiting for them.The mob was there to deliver a very clear message: "If the terrorists want to kill you, they'll have to kill us, too." They were there to act as human shields."

 These are some great stories.
Posted: 27 Aug 2012 09:19 PM PDT
"So you need parental consent to contract a state-sanctioned marriage under the age of 18 in the U.S., but you, all by yourself, can give full consent to the irreversibility of sterilization at 15?"

Whoa.
Posted: 27 Aug 2012 09:13 PM PDT
"I wanted to be the primary author of the message she would become to the world."

Yes, this.
Posted: 27 Aug 2012 09:12 PM PDT
What a *great* idea!
Posted: 27 Aug 2012 09:12 PM PDT
Interesting history lesson.

Posted: 15 Aug 2012 09:35 PM PDT
Interesting analysis of literature.
Posted: 15 Aug 2012 09:34 PM PDT
This piece on suffering is really good.

Hope something resonated!

No comments: