Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Weekly Smorgasbord

Some lovely links from last week:



    Posted: 24 Sep 2012 12:54 PM PDT
    So sad, but hopeful.
    Posted: 24 Sep 2012 12:50 PM PDT
    Love.
    Posted: 24 Sep 2012 12:50 PM PDT
    "The "social and cultural conditions" Hunter refers to involve what he calls "authoritative communities." These communities make character possible by teaching the young to subordinate their own opinions and desires to what their respective communities require of them." "The ultimate "authoritative community" is, of course, the Church. At least in theory, the Church is where, through word and sacrament, prayer and fellowship, and in the power of the Holy Spirit, we are conformed to the image of God's beloved son day by day."

    Avoiding Logical Fallacies in Theology – Justin Taylor
    Posted: 22 Sep 2012 01:12 PM PDT
    Very interesting tips for debaters.
    On doing school at home
    Posted: 21 Sep 2012 09:17 PM PDT
    Love this.
    Posted: 21 Sep 2012 09:16 PM PDT
    "And that weekend of investigation began a year of covert surveillance into brothels for my husband and I."
    Why Abortion Should Not Be Politically Decisive for Christians - Red Letter Christians
    Posted: 19 Sep 2012 08:39 PM PDT
    Here's the deal: I found this article really interesting and there's a good bit in here that makes sense and that I'm inclined to agree with. I agree that as Christians should be investing more energy in other endeavors to try to reduce abortions rather than simply trying to make it illegal. I also agree that many times, we conservatives neglect to care for the "least of these" as well as we should. That said, I can't wrap my mind around not wanting to make abortion illegal. Even if it doesn't decrease the number of abortions, I feel like if we equate it to murder (which I do, because I feel that it is) then we need to take a stand against something we feel is morally repugnant, regardless of the practical outcome.
    Posted: 19 Sep 2012 08:34 PM PDT
    "I confess, I have at times wanted to grow it into this thing: this living, breathing organism that is day-job like in its massive responsibilities while providing my family with ten meeeeeeelion dollars…a month! And at other times, I've been perfectly content to invest and care for a small number of engaged readers. I've known any number of readers is a gift, any engagement with my content is leadership and any motive I have will on one day be pure and the next day be entangled with selfishness & idolatry." This post so resonated with me. I've been thinking a lot about my blog lately (beyond just "What should I post about today?") and I'm not even sure what I want from it sometimes. I'll probably write a whole post at some point.
    Posted: 19 Sep 2012 08:32 PM PDT
    "On the one hand, of course, we want to think that this is awesome. Children benefit from being heard; they need to be free to discuss, debate, disagree. Eight-year-old philosophy may not beneficial to the hearer, but it's a valuable process for the one working out her ideas of the world. Isn't it nice that I'm staying home from any potential careers to be the Sounding Board, be the Trusted Adviser, the Philosopher Matriarch, the Unconditionally Interested."
    Posted: 19 Sep 2012 08:32 PM PDT
    Adding this to my reading list.
    Posted: 19 Sep 2012 08:29 PM PDT
    "...there is a fine line between honestly preparing couples for marriage and parenting and casting out random, threatening jabs. At stake in the distinction is not only a healthy theology of marriage and children, but the kind of culture our language creates. In a society where marriages and unborn lives are often treated as disposable, we can't be sloppy with our words. Yes, let's protect young Christians from a romanticism that ultimately self-destructs, but let us do so in a way that honors the institutions of marriage and family. Neither romanticism nor cynicism will lead to the kind of cultural shift that our marriages and families so desperately need." SO TRUE. Loved this one.
    Posted: 19 Sep 2012 08:27 PM PDT
    This was an interesting post that got me thinking more critically about our giving.
    Posted: 19 Sep 2012 08:26 PM PDT
    Well, lots of things. Joy does a great job sharing some.
    Posted: 19 Sep 2012 08:25 PM PDT
    "And instead of wishing days away or waiting for the next big life move to happen, I'm finding myself wanting it to slow down just so my boys are still small enough to both fit on my lap at the same time." Ahh, yes. Erin is so right.
    Posted: 19 Sep 2012 08:24 PM PDT
    One of my favorite of the "letters" that showed up in my Reader.
    Posted: 19 Sep 2012 08:24 PM PDT
    "Cynical, apathetic, narcissistic… the trifecta of characteristics that have come to define the millennial generation of which I'm a member. It's time for us to start turning mirrors into windows. It's time for us to start looking past ourselves." YES.
    Posted: 19 Sep 2012 08:21 PM PDT
    "Here I am: with a real breathing metaphor of contentment and peace, with a milk-drunk, blissed-out, flour-sack of a baby, thick with goodness, and something breaks through the veil between earth and heaven, I understand down in my marrow and now I can't think of God as anything other than Abba." "Here I am: stronger, bolder, fearless, empowered, soul-quieted, a giver, nourished by nourishing, a mama." " And here I am now: nursing a squirming and disinterested toddler, every once in a while, and knowing that one of these times, it will be her last time, and it will be my last time to lay skin to skin, tummy to tummy, with my own babies, breastfeeding, and that time is coming soon." Oh, gah. The tears, man. This was kinda a bit of a dagger-in-the-heart to read, understandably, because we're on the tail end of this journey. Anyway, this is a simply gorgeous post and I loved it.
    Posted: 19 Sep 2012 08:17 PM PDT
    "I wonder if public "authentic" living has first of all, exhausted us, secondly, made us "save" our deeper thoughts and questions for online conversation and caused us to shy away from personal contact, and third, created a culture of "authentic production" that is nearly impossible for the normal human to keep up with." More interesting thoughts on this.
    Posted: 19 Sep 2012 08:13 PM PDT
    "I've learned also that unorthodoxy is not, primarily, a matter of not crossing the correct "t"s or dotting the right "i"s, it is not a matter of not toeing the party line. It is, at a more basic level, a matter of telling a lesser story about a different god." "Admittedly, some of the stories that the Church has deemed unorthodox have the power to captivate, for a time. But none of them can ultimately compare to the story the Church has celebrated each time the people of God gather round the bread and wine."
    Posted: 19 Sep 2012 08:11 PM PDT
    Oh, y'all. Sometimes, I love Pinterest. But sometimes, things like this make me want to scream. Wow.
    Enjoy!

    No comments: