Friday, October 5, 2012

Tunes for the Month: October

I so enjoyed my September playlist and I'm pretty freakin' excited about October's.  Lots of current favorite songs and a few that I've loved and loved for years.  I added the first seven or so and then I just started going through Peyton's relatively extensive iTunes library and picking ones I liked.  Thus the plethora of "A" songs toward list's end.

1. Some Nights- Fun.

   

 No. When I see stars, when I see, when I see stars, that's all they are
When I hear songs, they sound like this one, so come on
Oh, come on. Oh, come on, OH COME ON!

Peyton just got this CD and and we *love* a couple of songs on it.  Excuse the play on words, but the band is really "fun".  Okay, honestly, I'm not really sure about the meaning of this song (I'll probably Google at some point).

And, whoa, I had to share the video.  I had actually never seen it before, but I wanted y'all to get a listen, if you haven't. Anyway, I love it.  In the comments, I saw a couple of Queen/Freddie Mercury references and they were right on point, I thought.  The thing is hugely theatrical and reminds me more of a musical than a music video. It's like Newsies meets North and South.  Anyway, I'll probably be watching again.  Okay, I for sure will. Enjoy it.

2. We Are Young- Fun.

Tonight
We are young
So let's set the world on fire
We can burn brighter
Than the sun  

Another new favorite. It's obviously not the most substantive thing in the world- friends in a bar getting "higher than the Empire State", but we like it.  It's catchy.  Again, [Fun.] is Fun.

3. The Cave- Mumford and Sons

So tie me to a post and block my ears
I can see widows and orphans through my tears
And know my call despite my faults
And despite my growing fears...
  
So come out of your cave walking on your hands
And see the world hanging upside down
You can understand dependence
When you know the maker's land...

And I will find strength in pain
And I will change my ways
I'll know my name as it's called again
This one is from Sigh No More, Mumford's old album, but it's one of my favorites, so I really wanted it on the list.

Okay, let's be very honest.  If you read the lyrics in totality, they're beyond morbid.  They're well, grotesque, almost.  But is not a little gruesome when we fully awaken (time and time again) to seeing the widows and orphans, seeing the land as the Maker's, knowing we need to change our ways? It was the tune of the song that initially stirred me, but as is almost always the case with Mumford, the lyrics resonate deeply, too.

4. I Will Wait- Mumford and Sons



So I'll be bold
As well as strong
And use my head alongside my heart
So take my flesh
And fix my eyes
That tethered mind free from the lies...

Raise my hands
Paint my spirit gold
And bow my head
Keep my heart slow





I'm not gonna lie, I got teary watching them on SNL.  I just love them.  This is from the new album, Babel, which is wholly awesome, but "I Will Wait" is probably my current favorite.  I love the idea of using my head alongside my heart juxtaposed with the image of keeping my heart slow.




5. Wonderful Remark- Van Morrison


That was a wonderful remark
I had my eyes closed in the dark
I sighed a million sighs
I told a million lies to myself, to myself
Ooh oh, ooh oh, ooh oh, ooh oh, ooh oh, ooh oh

I read an article on Van Morrison this past week (link coming) and it reminded me of some of my favorites.  This song sounds very desperate in every line except the chorus, which is full of hope and joy.  I love it.



6. Full Force Gale- Van Morrison

And no matter where I roam
I will find my way back home
I will always return to the lord

In the gentle evening breeze
By the whispering shady trees
I will find my sanctuary in the lord

I was headed for a fall
The I looked up and saw the writing on the wall

Like a full force gale
I was lifted up again
I was lifted up again by the lord


Well, I just qouted the song in its entirety, basically. I can't get enough of it. I can't remember the first time I heard this song, but I loved it so much and had to figure out what it was (I think I heard it on the radio or something).  It continues to be one of my all time favorite spiritual songs by a secular (albeit very spiritual) musician. It's also the kind of song I love to turn on when I'm having a hard day.  I love remembering that the thought of finding my way back "home" and I love the imaginary of the gentle evening breeze and the whispering shady trees....what a beautiful sanctuary.

7. Peace Train- Cat Stevens

Oh I've been smiling lately, dreaming about the world as one
And I believe it could be, some day it's going to come

Cause out on the edge of darkness, there rides a peace train
Oh peace train take this country, come take me home again

Now I've been smiling lately, thinking about the good things to come
And I believe it could be, something good has begun 

Ultimate hippie song right here, folks.  I wanted another old school favorite and this one is another feel good song for me.  Something uplifting and powerful about thinking about "the world as one", although from a theological perspective, I have to acknowledge that I know these things will never happen before Christ returns.  It's probably a little weird that "Peace Train" brings to mind images of Isaiah 11 for me- crunchy hippie momma meets hopeful Evangelical, right? 



8. This Time of Year- Better Than Ezra


 
Well, there's a football in the air,
Across a leaf blown field.
Yeah, and there's your first car on the road,
And the girl you'd steal.

So go on with yourself

If there's a feeling that there's something else.
Seems like it's always understood
This time of year.

Well, I know there's a reason to change.

Well, I know there's a time for us.
You think about the good times
And you live with all the bad.
You can feel it in the air,
Feeling right this time of year

Well, this should have been number one.  It's the quintessential Fall song.  I'm including the video, because I love that it was written in a broken down car in Clinton, MS. 



9. Acuff Rose- Uncle Tupelo

Early in the morning, sometimes late at night
Sometimes I get the feeling that everything's alright
Early in the evening, sometimes in the day
Sometimes I get the feeling everything's okay
Because everything cuts against the tide
When you're by my side

Here's where I started with the "A's", obviously. We sang this at Summer camp at Strong River and I loved it from then on.  It's just beautiful.  Even to my eight, nine and ten year old self, I heard such beauty in these lyrics and the country strumming.  Gah, I miss those days and that music.  The music was what made camp camp.  We had a thing called "Brown Cow" every night where we all sat around in a big, dimly lit room and drank chocolate milk and were led in twangy sing song sessions by pre millenial hippie college students who wore Tevas (I don't think Chocos were a thing yet), Columbia shorts, and had beards or braided ponytails.  It is one of the biggest parts of childhood that I long to relive. 



10.  Accused of Love- Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers

And I don't even know the wrong I've done
And I don't even care anymore
All I know is I believe that you and me
Forever will stand accused of love

Pretty sure this is NOT a wholesome song.  It's actually the first time I listened to it.  But I like the way it sounds, so I went with it.  [One thing about this project is that it's fun finding new songs.]

11. After Her- Dave Mathews


Sun will shine no matter what I do
Sun shines bright now with you
What a wonderful thing for you to do
Moon shine bright reflection in your eyes
A finer place he could not find

In my life never before have I lover so adored
Her eyes her hair everything she says
My delight can tickle me inside
Touch my heart touch my mind 


Who doesn't like Dave, right? I mean he's old school in a new school kinda way (meaning he's not a 70s singer songwriter, but this is also not from an album released like last week).  Anyway, I think his lyrics are beautiful and I love the music.  I think, as if it wasn't very evident already, I discovered with this list what an affinity I have for a folksy, twangy style music.



That's it! Just eleven this time, but I know I'm going to enjoy soaking in them this month. These posts take a bit of time to write, but I have absolutely loved doing it.  It's fun to share what I'm listening to and more than that the memories or feelings the songs bring out from within me!

 

2 comments:

Bre said...

My son's high school marching band all sings "tonight" in the stands at football games while the drums play the beat. It is so cool!

Love you song selection this month!

Peyton said...

Better Than Ezra? good job. I like the list.