Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Weekly Smorgasbord

Okay, I'm mixing things up and trying this a new way this week. Categorized! Let's see how we like it, shall we? These list seem to be something most of y'all enjoy and I thought it would only help to have them organized a bit.  Especially now, when some weeks there are so many links, I though it could only benefit everyone to be able to glance at the list and more quickly determine what peaks your interest, because never in my life would I expect you to click on all of these.  So for example, if organizing and decorating aren't your thing, you may won't to skip the kitchen decorating post and the one about getting rid of sticky points in your day.  And if you aren't a birth junkie, you might want to skip Miriam Leigh's birth story.  Kinda blows my mind anyone would want to skip any of that, but you know that's why they're on my list.


    On Faith: 
    Posted: 30 Sep 2012 09:55 PM PDT
    "The highest calling of all human beings is loving God, and loving all other human creatures. Of course the latter category includes our physical family, but it certainly does not prioritize them such that we are commanded to love family above or to the neglect of neighbor."

    Y'all know how much I value family, but there's some interesting stuff here.

    Posted: 30 Sep 2012 09:49 PM PDT
    What a good reminder about our ultimate goal for our children!

    Posted: 30 Sep 2012 09:46 PM PDT
    Apparently, some of the info in this post about fertility issues is maybe not fact based. I realize it's controversial, but I'm still sharing it because overall I feel like the message is an important one.

    Posted: 30 Sep 2012 09:40 PM PDT
    "Some presume fault in both camps, in fog machines and lazy missionaries alike. In the monetary and theological false-walls that hide an ancient way of being. In skinny jeans and fresh-pressed khakis. Maybe we the cynics are seeking something more balanced, more abundant. Or maybe (just maybe) we are death-bearers of presumptuous sins."

    Seth nails it, per usual.

    How Favoritism Fractures | Redemption's Beauty
    Posted: 27 Sep 2012 09:05 PM PDT
    Beautiful.

    Posted: 27 Sep 2012 09:04 PM PDT
    "I have become so profoundly aware of what women who are awake, are capable of doing. When one individual woman is awakened it is awesome, but when she gathers with a collective of women who are awake and rising up together, it is magnificent, miraculous and awe-inspiring."

    Barnabas's Blog: Can you catch sin like a cold?
    Posted: 25 Sep 2012 08:07 PM PDT
    "So many Christians live in cultural quarantine, shutting themselves off from what they see as sinful influences. They avoid "bad" people and even places. They talk about those people and places like they are disease carriers – "We can't have them around" or "We couldn't go there." They act like someone can sneeze sin onto them, that they will catch the bad decisions and guilt of another through physical proximity."

    On Family:
    Posted: 30 Sep 2012 09:57 PM PDT
    I love talking with parents of older kids- it's just so encouraging!

    Posted: 30 Sep 2012 09:44 PM PDT
    "Sisters make circles of time, a completing of sentences and memories and laughter, the past curving into now and you both know how it all rolls."

    Yes. And now I want another girl.

    Posted: 30 Sep 2012 09:43 PM PDT
    "When you say your "I do's", when you you start your happily ever afters, when none of it quite feels like you thought it would. When you don't know how to pick a mattress, when the sofa is in the wrong place, when you regret what feels like signing your life away to someone else. When you keep on keeping on. When you remember how to say sorry. When you need a safe place to say how cliche you feel all "barefoot and pregnant" I will so be there."

    I love this.

     On Music:
    Posted: 24 Sep 2012 10:02 PM PDT
    "These songs are honest expressions of what life around us looks like. The descriptions of love and pain, loneliness and hope are real to us. It is what frustrates me about the general church audience. If artistic expressions do not have an evangelical agenda, or they don't explicitly cheer for Jesus, they tend to fail commercially. In my experience, the music with those kinds of agendas is shallow and somehow not ultimately believable to me. Ironically, what people probably want, and have a hard time articulating, is a description that gives voice to their experiences of doubt and faith and life, but they have been tricked into a very narrow view of where those descriptions come from. And so they often settle for the Jesus cheerleaders or worship songs that have been loaded with sentimentality but not reality. People set expectations that they are going to connect with real life during their worship services through the medium of worship music."

    This is really fascinating to me.  I love Jars of Clay, so I'll be really interested in hearing this album.

     On Loving Ourselves Rightly: 

    Posted: 30 Sep 2012 09:50 PM PDT
    "I think too many of us have been told that the unique pieces of us, the ones that shout, are too brilliant for the world. That they are TOO much and that we must stifle the parts that were made to shine."

    "Don't you dare dull what was made to be brilliant."

    Maybe my favorite post of the week.
    CBS WKBT News Anchor's On-Air Respsonse to Viewer Calling Her Fat (Oct. 2nd, 2012) - YouTube
    Posted: 02 Oct 2012 07:53 PM PDT
    "To all the children who feel lost...do not let your self worth be defined by bullies. Learn from my experience that the cruel words of one are nothing compared to the shouts of many."

    On Childbirth:
    Posted: 30 Sep 2012 09:56 PM PDT
    Nothing like a good birth story and this one (a homebirth) was just fascinating to me. Makes me want to do it again (and also attend a birth).

    On Love and Marriage:
    Posted: 30 Sep 2012 09:48 PM PDT
    Found this via a Twitter link and loved it.

    Posted: 30 Sep 2012 09:47 PM PDT
    Hauntingly beautiful.

    Posted: 30 Sep 2012 09:45 PM PDT
    "People who are deeply committed to marriage as a lifelong vow have happier marriages not only because of what they do in their relationships, but because of what they think about being married in general."

     This was interesting.

    On Homemaking and Managing:

    Posted: 30 Sep 2012 09:41 PM PDT
    Good tips.
    Homestead Revival: Simple & Beautiful Kitchen and Pantry Organization
    Posted: 29 Sep 2012 12:19 PM PDT
    Love this (via Ann Voskamp).

    On Various Other Topics:
    Posted: 30 Sep 2012 09:51 PM PDT
    I wish I could do this, but I'm scared :)

    Posted: 30 Sep 2012 09:47 PM PDT
    I'm planning a "What I'm Into" post for later this week.

    Posted: 25 Sep 2012 01:16 PM PDT
    This is funny.



















    Well, there you go! Let me know how you like the new set-up. It's a bit more time, but I like it better myself, actually. Oh, and the categories will likely change from week to week depending on the variety of topics.

    *Sorry for the hug white, eh, orange space at the end.  I'll have to work on that next time when I move stuff around.

    No comments: