Friday, October 12, 2012

Weekly Smorgasbord

Here we go with last week's links:




On Faith:
Posted: 11 Oct 2012 06:48 PM PDT
"We have no trouble laying the heavy hand of our moral judgements on things like how some little old lady casts her vote, but we can't seem to wrap our minds around the idea that corporate policies that kill, maim and enslave millions of innocent people might be subject to moral demands as well."

 This is hard for me, to be perfectly frank. It's simply not a common way to think. But it should be.
Posted: 11 Oct 2012 02:08 PM PDT
"But, that fear and that doubt of the Goodness of God still hangs on in my spirit some days. There have been seasons where I have fought the lie that if I loved my children too much that God would snatch them away. I have to fight the idea that God is so jealous that He'll pluck the very thing I love to teach me not to value things of this earth."

I struggle with this so much at times.

Posted: 11 Oct 2012 02:01 PM PDT
"He doesn't choose your pain anymore than you would choose pain for your own children, despite the fact that sometimes your children are in pain that you have ultimately allowed. You allow them to make their own choices, or be a part of something that has the potential to hurt them — and then they get hurt. Then you weep together. You speak words over them to balm their wounded heart. You love them so much."

Posted: 11 Oct 2012 01:59 PM PDT
"back in the apartment, i can hear the neighbors. hear them talking about the new people moving in, wondering why we are here. they are not happy, they don't understand. a couple of weeks ago another little family moved in upstairs, people who look and act like us. a bunch of freaks, the neighbors said, and i crouched like a rabbit, frozen, caught where i was not supposed to be. the thoughts i never wanted spoken aloud, right outside my door."

This is interesting to me because the idea of this kind of "urban missions" really fascinates Peyton. I, of course, love the comfy suburbs. We'll see where God takes us, but I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up somewhere like this one day.


On Family and Parenting:
Posted: 11 Oct 2012 02:05 PM PDT
"At bottom, culture is the power of "legitimate naming." Indeed, we have named "unintended" pregnancies into a social problem. The term—as Hunter describes the process—has penetrated the structure of our imagination, our frameworks for how we think and converse, and our perceptions of what normal reality should look like (hint: "planned"). The reality remains, however, that "unintended" characterizes 44 percent of pregnancies...Such naming is a form of power."

As someone reaping innumerable joys from an unplanned pregnancy, I thought this post was super on point. Why do we condition ourselves to think unplanned equals bad?

Posted: 11 Oct 2012 01:52 PM PDT
"Out of reopened eyes and refreshed gratitude, I will have to act. I don't know what steps I will take yet. But there is one that I will not take: I will not be part of suppressing my girls' (or my boys') voices anymore. I still believe in respectful awareness of others' quiet moments, still plan on holding out high behavioral expectations for them. With that in mind, though, I want to hear my children's voices raised in joy, in sorrow, in questioning the status quo, in response to the injustice they will undoubtedly encounter."
Posted: 11 Oct 2012 01:51 PM PDT
"I encourage everyone to find the overlaps. Find authenticity and respect and LOVE for other women. Because when you find yourself holding your friend as she labors, and supporting her choice to birth at home, and being there for one of the most important and sacred moments of her life, you'll find that the differences completely go away, and it becomes one of the most sacred moments of YOUR life, too." What beauty.

Posted: 11 Oct 2012 01:41 PM PDT
"I am so incredibly SICK of feminists demanding that women Be All Things To All People At All Times. How is this any different than the oppressive patriarchy we all despise? So, I give birth to a human being and suddenly, I'm supposed to follow the feminist rule book about NOT talk about what I pack in my kids' lunch? Because that's NOT what the MEN talk about?! Give me a break!"

Okay, first of all, I'm not really at all what I would call a "feminist", but I was interested in the article that this responds to (I had seen it mentioned elsewhere) and so I read it. EE is right on the mark with this one.

Posted: 11 Oct 2012 01:38 PM PDT
"But we really need to make an effort to get in the picture. Our sons need to see how young and beautiful and human their mamas were. Our daughters need to see us vulnerable and open and just being ourselves -- women, mamas, people living lives. Avoiding the camera because we don't like to see our own pictures? How can that be okay?" YES. [I try to practice this with those oft heinous weekly family pictures. :)]

On Rest and the Grace for Off Days:
Posted: 11 Oct 2012 02:06 PM PDT
"I'm learning what rest is not...It is not the absence of activity. I believe wholeheartedly that we can be actively doing something and be at rest."

 "I also know that rest is not the opposite of energy. Sometimes in order to rest, it takes a lot of energy. Rest for me sometimes means expending energy and at the same time letting my mind rest and my soul breathe."

 "Rest is also not the opposite of work. There are times when my body is at rest and even my mind, but my heart is hard at work. Maybe even God is working, others are working or I'm working in order to be at rest. Work isn't necessarily contrarian to rest."

All very true
Posted: 11 Oct 2012 01:55 PM PDT
"I'm dragging. I'm not doing crafts today. I'm not taking them on a walk. I'm not reading to them. We'll get a smidgen of school work done, the basics."

"These are not the days I want to live as life, but there are some days like these, and I'm just going to have to give myself grace."

The day I read this was one of "those" days and I was so thankful for the permission and validation this post brought.


On Writing:
Posted: 11 Oct 2012 02:03 PM PDT
"To write is to give. To be flat out, all out generous with your story. To wrap up your words, your life, your failings, your most miserable moments and your wild and wonderful discoveries and give them to somebody else. To share them with someone, to encourage someone, to re-gift what have been the hardest parts of your story in ways that make other people feel they are not alone."

 "To write is to pour out your life as a love offering for people you may never meet, because when you do so you feel God's pleasure in your fingertips."

"And maybe you were made for this time and these keyboard letters to leave a legacy."

YES.

On Various Other Topics:


Posted: 11 Oct 2012 02:00 PM PDT
"Now that information is ubiquitous, the obligation changes. It's no longer okay to not know." Very true.
Posted: 11 Oct 2012 01:56 PM PDT
I think Influence sounds like so much fun. Peyton and I discussed this- next year this kind of thing just isn't in the cards and the year following we'll likely be in NYC so it won't be a good year- but the next year I'm going to a blogging conference. It felt good to actually say that now even though it's a long way away. It's a fun goal/ambition for me.

Posted: 11 Oct 2012 01:53 PM PDT
Super cute idea!

Posted: 04 Oct 2012 09:51 PM PDT
Love this.






Enjoy!


1 comment:

Emily Sovich said...

Wow, this is great! There are so many thought-provoking articles here I hardly know where to begin. :-)