Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Weekly Smorgasbord

Here are my favorites around the Web from the past week:

On Faith:

Grace and the Giant Peach | A Deeper Story
Posted: 12 Oct 2012 01:05 PM PDT
"My friends with older kids say that they hear me, these half-listening children of ours. That one day they will say something that lets me know they understood. I hope so, because grace is the very first thing I want them to understand. I hope they understand it always, starting now. I have grown up slowly and with a limited understanding of how vast this word is. It had its limits, this grace, in my childhood mind and then I proved it unlimited."


Posted: 12 Oct 2012 01:03 PM PDT
"Every time you feel lost, the map back to happy is really simple: Jesus' grace is the one-way love that gets you back to Joy. Jesus takes you. Jesus takes you. And He'll take you all the way Home."
  
Such good advice here.


On Family: 

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 01:00 PM PDT
I've enjoyed AP's "31 Days of Motherhood" and this is one of my favorite posts.

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 12:59 PM PDT
"We've transformed the holy, terrifying, magnificent, and loving God of the Bible into Santa and his elves. And instead of transmitting the gloriously liberating and life-changing truths of the gospel, we have taught our children that what God wants from them is morality. We have told them that being good (at least outwardly) is the be-all and end-all of their faith."

This was interesting and something I've seen too often.


Allison Tate: The Mom Stays in the Picture
Posted: 14 Oct 2012 10:19 PM PDT
"But we really need to make an effort to get in the picture. Our sons need to see how young and beautiful and human their mamas were. Our daughters need to see us vulnerable and open and just being ourselves -- women, mamas, people living lives. Avoiding the camera because we don't like to see our own pictures? How can that be okay?"

YES. [I try to practice this with those oft heinous weekly family pictures. :)]
Posted: 12 Oct 2012 12:58 AM PDT
"They are sometimes drugged and/or tied to their beds to keep them easier to care for or to prevent them from harming themselves out of sheer insane boredom and attempting to make themselves feel something at all."

 "The children received one diaper change a day, if any, and sometimes were not changed or fed over the weekend. Many of the children had terrible diaper rash, sometimes suffering from one raw, open wound in their whole diaper area."

 I can hardly comprehend that this harsh treatment is the reality for some children in the world.

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 01:05 PM PDT
"A few nights ago I engaged myself in a tale spin until 2:30 AM. I lay as still as I could muster, trying to sleep, but I played through the list, how precious are Ian's big brown eyes, and what a big man he's going to be one day; how I want to stop and listen to him, just for once; how I should have have had the house clean when Seth got home from work; and how I'm so hard on my oldest, even though he's so good and bright. Finally I called myself negligent, the mother/wife-guilt threatening to swallow me whole. If I come out of this study of chains, if I come out free, I'll most certainly have a limp."

I've been here. At this exact place and it's so hard.

"I am not a prisoner of my children. They do not keep me in chains and bark at me for drinks as my masters. I am a prisoner of Christ. I am His alone. Knowing who I am, my Christ-Esteem, it opens my ears and my hands to love those around me. It pours me thick with joy. I can hear when I'm listening to that One voice."

On Living Rightly:


Guy Martin Delcambre | a life bigger than little.

 Posted: 12 Oct 2012 01:03 PM PDT
"UNTIE THOSE THINGS UNIMPORTANT and learn value in what really is important and irreplaceable;   writing assignments for projects and my book and blog posts have been delayed and at the mercy of family. I'd burn every book someday written by me for another chance to watch my daughters smile honestly."

 "VALUE YOURSELF LESS IMPORTANT in your pursuit of the day; involve others in your life and dreams and pursuit; One of the greatest personal exercises on help and humility was a survey I recently sent out to a few of those who have been close to me asking them to comment on what they see my strengths, weaknesses, inadequacies and shortcomings to be. The longing for tomorrow was crowding our togetherness today."

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 12:58 PM PDT
"The biggest and most freeing disappointment of life is realizing our stories are not our own. That our time on earth is about more than just us." "This is scary, because it's an invitation to live into a larger narrative, which inevitably means risk and adventure. It means taking chances and losing it all. It means the possibility of pain."
 


On Writing:

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 01:01 PM PDT
"It's no secret that I desire to grow my blog. And it's actually slowly growing (glory to God), and I am constantly amazed…But it's not the number one priority in my life. It never will be...Other than God (proper evangelical disclaimer for ya'll), my number one priority is my family."

What a great "31 Days" idea!
Posted: 12 Oct 2012 01:07 PM PDT
"Write the story you know. Write the story you live. How you see and breathe and shape and understand this glorious, broken, beautiful, redeemed world that Christ has given us. We need that. We need your story."

On Music:
Posted: 12 Oct 2012 01:00 PM PDT
"That music was influential enough to merit his inclusion in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but much of it since then has been willfully uncommercial, the product of a man who cares not a whit about the prospect of hit singles and awards and accolades. Almost all of it has borne witness to a man on a quest for something deeper and more satisfying than the usual sensual, hedonistic pursuits. That the quest has led him down some unlighted byways and dead ends is undeniable, but few songwriters have documented their spiritual discontent and restlessness as painstakingly or as accurately as Van Morrison."

Loved this article on one of my favorites.


On Election Humor:

Saturday Night Live - Vice Presidential Debate Cold Open - Video - NBC.com
Posted: 14 Oct 2012 06:40 PM PDT
HYSTERICAL. Trust me.

On Various Other Topics:

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 01:02 PM PDT
"Most of us present an enhanced image of ourselves on Facebook. This positive image—and the encouragement we get, in the form of "likes"—boosts our self-esteem. And when we have an inflated sense of self, we tend to exhibit poor self-control. "Think of it as a licensing effect: You feel good about yourself so you feel a sense of entitlement," says Keith Wilcox, assistant professor of marketing at Columbia Business School and co-author of the study. "And you want to protect that enhanced view, which might be why people are lashing out so strongly at others who don't share their opinions." These types of behavior—poor self control, inflated sense of self—"are often displayed by people impaired by alcohol," he adds."

This is really interesting to me because I know I'm "braver" online than in person. Something to think about for sure.

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 01:06 PM PDT
This is probably my favorite "31 Days" series. I love every single one. The quotes and the posts.
 

Enjoy!

No comments: