Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Weekly Smorgasbord

Here are your weekly links. This is a heavy list, friends. Posts here brought me to tears. I hope they continue to bring me to tears, but more importantly bring me to my knees. Let your soul be stirred, as well.




On Faith:

Posted: 21 Oct 2012 01:12 PM PDT
"First, we must understand that the phrase "take the Bible literally" is primarily a litmus test---and a silly one at that---for "do you really believe the Bible?" This is why so many Christians hold to this myth---they want to be counted among the Bible-believers. But this is not faithful to God's Word."

Interesting thoughts. Peyton and I just had a conversation about something similar the other day.

Posted: 23 Oct 2012 01:58 PM PDT
"In Madagascar...no one knows who my parents are, everyone speaks to me in French (because I'm a "vazaha" foreigner), as a 26 year old college grad, I was reduced to the knowledge of a toddler, it is mentally exhausting to have an indepth conversation in Malagasy, no one "ooohs and ahhhhs" over my being married, people openly ask why we don't have more children..The ONLY thing that will make a difference here is Jesus Christ. He is who they do not know about - He is the One they need to hear about. My identity has to be in Christ alone."

Posted: 23 Oct 2012 02:05 PM PDT
"I see my kids desire to blend with the group, be accepted for who they are. I see the same desire in me, even after all the graduations and time passed, it's still there. I always come back to the same answer: Jesus loves me and I am enough just like I am."

Posted: 23 Oct 2012 02:04 PM PDT
I vehemently agree with all seven points.
Posted: 23 Oct 2012 02:03 PM PDT
"Well, here's something the Lord has been convicting me of lately; the use of "most Christians" or "many Christians" when describing something I think is important when evaluating the Evangelical landscape. And I know I'm not alone. Since I've been more cognizant of it, I've noticed that others do it too – in conversations, on social media, in blog posts and even in books. It's normally accompanied by a lament of something that is wrong that these "most" or "many" are guilty of."

So true.

 On Family: 
Posted: 23 Oct 2012 02:01 PM PDT
"Once I decided that my children were God's best will for my life, I saw all of my life through this grid. So when I went through my day, in general, if an interruption came into my life, since my "grid" said, "My children are my decided and valued priority,"...The other tasks and goals in my life are secondary to the plans I have made to keep the Lord, my children and my husband first."

This is a good way to think.
Posted: 23 Oct 2012 01:53 PM PDT
"Going about it alone doesn't work. A crew is required. It's why the Forster children have godparents. But, ideally, each child has a slew of godparents, right? Folks dedicated to helping the parents of the child do well. A people purposed to love the child above and beyond general Christian love for the world. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, friends."
Posted: 23 Oct 2012 01:53 PM PDT
"The reason I think people talk about the "terrible twos" is because of two things- fit throwing and stubbornness. While I don't particularly enjoy either of these things, I think they serve a greater purpose, and I'm a little bit proud of myself for keeping perspective on this. I believe God designed children in such a unique way, and it's for His greater purpose."

I loved this post and definitely agree with Kodi on this aspect of parenting.


On Living Life Rightly:
Posted: 23 Oct 2012 01:55 PM PDT
"An authentic life is not measured in degrees of sin-sharing comfort. An authentic life is measured in totality...There are corollaries to authentic life wreckage–ultimate joy and peace are found through reconciliation in the cross; reconciliation has a cost, but it's reconciliation nonetheless; and joy comes in the morning, so if it is morning, celebrate the joy."

This post is older, but I missed it awhile back.  I actually have a post in drafts about something similar- basically does being authentic always mean focusing on the negative, the hard, the pain? I don't really think it does.

Posted: 23 Oct 2012 01:48 PM PDT
"Fussing. That's what he did. He fussed over Mama. In a good way. In that way of people who love their jobs and love the people they serve. In that way of people who always have a kind word to speak to others. In that way of people who live to serve. In that way that makes others leave a table not only full from the food but full of goodness, too."

I want to serve like this.

On Social Issues of Grave Importance: Poverty and Abortion

Posted: 21 Oct 2012 12:55 PM PDT
Heartbreaking truth.
Posted: 21 Oct 2012 12:59 PM PDT
"The Morning Center project was founded to provide free full-service maternity care to women in urban and under-served areas where quality care is limited. We will provide Charitable maternity care through mobile care units and local partnerships."

 This is so awesome and could be huge in limiting abortions.

Posted: 21 Oct 2012 12:54 PM PDT
Since a group of my favorite bloggers went to Haiti, I've been really interested in this country and the heartbreaking conditions there. Here are some details.

Posted: 23 Oct 2012 01:52 PM PDT
"Did the child know? Why didn't they fight? Did they believe, somehow, their present homeless reality, might actually be better somewhere else as their kidnapper said...Did they start to worry when they were loaded on a boat headed out to an island? Did they scream when they were met by men carrying guns? Did they cry in shame when they were undressed and cleaned from head to toe?..And when the men arrived, men paying lots of money, tourist men… did they bleed when they were raped?"

This is the hardest thing I've read in awhile, maybe ever. It broke me.

Posted: 23 Oct 2012 01:50 PM PDT
"And something in my heart went…snap. I want to take the makeshift mop out of her tiny hands and break it into one million pieces. I want to scream and pull every hair out of my head. I want her to not be mopping the dirt outside of her filthy tent where she has lived for nearly two years. I want her not to be here in this terrifying place while my five babes are being tucked neatly into their safe, warm beds with their bellies full and our life the picture of security. I want her to stop mopping that damn dirt, because it is so futile and unfair and broken and everything, everything about this is wrong." "There is hope here. I can't explain it, but it's here, I can feel it, I can even see it. It's literally everywhere. It's a mopping dirt kind of hope – frustrating, decisive, complicated, dogged, wearisome, inspiring."


On Social Media:
Posted: 23 Oct 2012 02:06 PM PDT
"High comment numbers do not indicate higher blog post quality, but the activity generated by that post in terms of traffic and inspiring others to share over the long term does."

This was really interesting and a good reminder when I get frustrated over my itty bitty blog no mattering to anyone but me.


On Writing:
Posted: 23 Oct 2012 01:59 PM PDT
"I write and scratch at all the complicated inside-outness of my own head. The words, no the writing the words down, they help make sense. I draw my own road map in reverse. It happens and then I write it."


On Dealing with Anxiety and Depression in Non-Medicinal Ways:

7 Things to Do When You're Feeling a Little Sad | How to Talk Evangelical
Posted: 23 Oct 2012 02:10 PM PDT
"I know how you are: you get sad, and you want to crawl inside yourself and stay there. But go, and just sit there, because there is something powerful about the voices of women, loud and soft and distinct and beautiful." "If you need to cry while you sing, do it. Don't worry about the kids. They're so busy with the wind and the music that they probably won't even notice, and if they do, then they do. It's okay, I think, for kids to know that their parents cry." "There are all of these voices, books and blogs and poems and stories, and they're saying the things that you can't say. They're putting words to the indescribable feelings in your heart. Find them. Breathe them in."

 These are all SO good and I use a lot of them already myself.

On Various Other Topics:
Posted: 19 Oct 2012 09:17 PM PDT
"Michelle Obama is–refreshingly for many of us–lauded for being nurturing, beautiful and stylish as well as whip smart, athletic and strong. And we imagine that Obama has the strength to make her needs known and that if she has, for now, chosen motherhood, that it is the role she wants. She is a black woman free to make that choice. These things are revolutionary for black women, even if some white women see business as usual."

"Feminists who wish that Obama would strike a blow for feminism and against stereotyped roles of women, too easily forget that all women are not burdened by the same stereotypes. The way sexism visits white women and women of color, including black women, is similar in its devastation but often unique in its practice."

I thought this was an interesting perspective about those who attack the first lady for saying her number one role was "mom-in-chief".

Posted: 23 Oct 2012 01:56 PM PDT
Maybe make this soon?















I'm not sure I can say "enjoy" this list in it's totality. But blessings as you read.

No comments: