Thursday, November 8, 2012

Letter to (Three Year and Seven Month Old) Ann Peyton

Dear Ann Peyton,

What are you up to this month? Quite a bit, of course.

Your love for raisins has turned obsession. You and Papa. I mean they're good, I get it. But y'all think they're candy. You eat them with at least one meal, sometimes two, many times all three.  And you eat a lot of them.

Puzzles. These have become quite the fixation, too. Minnie keeps buying them for you and you adore them. You do the same one a few times and then you can do it super fast! You've graduated from the 24 piece puzzles and Minnie's started buying 48 piece ones now. You have Elmo, sock monkeys, Dora, an "under the sea" themed one, and multiple princess ones.

Speaking of princesses, Cinderella is by far your favorite. You do acknowledge that you look like Belle and I've taught you to say that you and Belle are both "brunettes", which is more than hysterical (maybe just because I'm your momma, though). But you mostly want to pretend to be Cinderella. If it comes to it and there's a need for you to be someone else, you have a neat trick. For example, you were Tinkerbell for Halloween, but you told everyone your name was "Cinderella Tinkerbell". You had me convinced you were Cinderella dressed up as Tink ;)

In addition to princesses, you have a new found interest in fairies. You have a little fairy book you got from a friend last Christmas and you recently rediscovered it. Your favorite fairy in the book is named Isabelle. So all last night you told me things like "Cinderella Isabelle needs to potty. Cinderella Isabelle wants some raisins". Apparently, it's a good double name.

I know I say this all the time, but one of the biggest blessings in my life is watching yours and Graves's relationship grow. Y'all are going through a stage right now where you really really love each other, but you're also at each other's throats a lot. I say it's a stage. Could just be childhood, though. Whew.

We went up to Nashville last week to visit Cookie and poor Graves was SCREAMING in the car. You were patient at first, but you finally got frustrated and told him "I can't help you, Baby Graves. STOP CRYING."

This week, though, I was taking you to school and I left Graves with Papa. You started sobbing hysterically yourself and begged me to let him come with us. You tole me "I just really, REALLY love him". It melted my heart, partially because it was a really beautiful picture of grace as he mostly loves to pull your hair in the car.

Like I said, y'all get frustrated with each other a lot these days. Usually for you this manifests itself in the form of *very* high pitched screams. We've started talking to you about what to do if he takes a toy from you or pulls your hair or something. What you do now is you gently squeeze his hand (I do this to you when I need to get your attention when you're not behaving) and say "NO, Baby Graves, PLEASE don't do that", firmly, but calmly. It seems to be working well so far.

You're a special little girl, Annie. I can't say much more than what I've said for the past forty one months, but I'll keep saying it. We adore you. We are proud of you. We love you to the moon and back. Forever.

Love,
Momma (and Papa)

P.S. Your turkey outfit is a 3T.




No comments: