Friday, November 16, 2012

Tunes for the Month: November

Well, here we are halfway through November and I'm just now posting my playlist, actually just now making it. This month was fun because Peyton collaborated with me on it. He has a pretty large iTunes library and that's mostly where I pick songs from (I occasionally buy a few or get them off a CD we have). Anyway, he reminded me of some awesome songs. And he totally already gets how I do this, most of the songs he would say "this sounds like Fall to me". Anyway, here are the results of our efforts:

1. We Gather Together- Festival and Hosanna Choir
I really, really like hymns. I wrote a post about it once, but by and large I prefer them to contemporary Christian music. It's more my style (that's not to say there aren't a handful of contemporary Christian artists that I love and some songs that are truly numbered among my favorites). Anyway, I like hymns so much that we have a pretty extensive collection of "hymn CDs". I wanted to include a couple of my favorite Thanksgiving related tunes, and I chose two to bookend the list. 

2. Furr- Blitzen Trapper


I love this song. Love. The lyrics are super weird at first glance, though. Ultimately, I think it tells a story of a young man's journey and it does this on a couple of levels. The most obvious is his journey from adolescence to adulthood, where he rebels as a teenager in the first verse, but then comes back to his "roots" and settles down into family life at the age of twenty three in the second verse. There are spiritual undertones, though, as well and I think the case can be made that the lyrics also describe a deeper, more internal journey. Either way, it's an awesome listen. 

3. King's Highway- Tom Petty
When the time gets right I'm gonna pick you up  
And take you far way from trouble my love  
Under a big ol' sky out in a field of green 
There's gotta be something left for us to believe
Oh, I await the day  
Good fortune comes our way  
And we ride down the kings highway

Recently, I listened to this song one morning when AP was at school and it was just me and Graves. I sang it and my number four song to him several times and the other night when he was fussy, I sang them to him and swayed with him and they've quickly become "our" songs. It's kind of irrelevant that they really aren't typical mother-son songs. They are beautiful and I love them and he does too. 

4. Kingdom Come- Coldplay
Hold my head inside your hands,
I need someone who understands.
I need someone, someone who hears,
For you, I've waited all these years.
For you, I'd wait 'til kingdom come.
Until my day, my day is done.
And say you'll come, and set me free,
Just say you'll wait, you'll wait for me.

I think I'll always associate this one with Baby Graves, too.

5. Maryland- Vonda Shepherd
I've been thinking
I've been thinking, I've been thinking too much
I just want to live now for a little while
And cast my dreams to the wind
Don't wanna wonder
Don't wanna wonder what it's all about
I'm just working for a living singing with my friends
As I cast my dreams to the wind
Maryland, I'm coming home

So, back oh, about fifteen years ago (yeah, when I was in like sixth grade) I bought an Alley McBeal soundtrack CASSETTE TAPE at BeBop. I just saw it and wanted it. I have no idea why because I had never seen the show and wasn't familiar with any of the songs. But I loved it. And to this day I do. I ended up buying a CD and then a replacement CD when the first got lost. This is one of those "take me back" albums. I associate it with so much- my childhood best friend who was the first boy I really loved, the hard loneliness of my early teen years, and weirdly Dawson's Creek. Peyton's a fan of the CD, too. It's just so, so good. This is Peyton's favorite song on the CD and it's sort of melancholy and has a definite "Fall" feel.

6. The Galway Girl- Steve Earle
And I ask you friends, what's a fella to do?
Because her hair was black and her eyes were blue
So I took her hand, and I gave her a twirl
And I lost my heart to a Galway Girl

This is a recent favorite that I discovered through Peyton. I just love the tune. It's a fun, lively song (okay, it's sad towards the end, but the music is still upbeat). And this Fall list needed a bit of that.

7. Let It Be- The Beatles
And when the broken hearted people living in the world agree
There will be an answer, let it be
For though they may be parted, there is still a chance that they will see
There will be an answer, let it be...
And when the night is cloudy there is still a light that shines on me
Shine until tomorrow, let it be

One of my all time favorites.  I'm not one to just listen to every single track of every single Beatles album, but I have my songs I love and this is one of them. I could probably listen to it every day for the rest of my life and never grow tired of it. Can't really say that about a lot of songs.

8. In My Time of Need- Ryan Adams
Will you comfort me, in my time of need?
Can you take away the pain of a hurtful deeds?
Cause when we need it most, there's no rain at all
And the dust just settles right there on the feed
Will you say to me a little rains gonna come
When the sky can't offer none to me
Cause I will come for you
When my days are through
And I'll let your smile just off and carry me

This is another recent discovery via Peyton. It's a little heartbreaking, but it's beautiful. The music is gorgeous and I love the lyrics because they read like a story and when don't I enjoy music in the form of a powerful narrative? Ryan Adams is a favorite (maybe the favorite) among artists for Peyton and I'm glad I'm starting to discover him. He has a plethora of albums, so this should be fun!

9. Africa- Toto
Okay, weird choice, I know. I decided to start back with my systematic process of going through Peyton's library and this is where I found myself, amongst the "A's". It's just a fun song I've always enjoyed. 

10. Ain't Even Done with the Night- John Melloncamp
You say that's all right, hold tight
Well I don't even know if I'm doin' this right
Well all right, hold tight
We can stay out all day or we can run around all night
Well all night, all night
Well it's time to go home
And I ain't even done with the night

Oh, I do love this one. It's another song that brings back floods of memories. I got the a CD with this on it when I was probably in 7th grade [sidenote: I was a John Cougar Melloncamp fan before I was a Springsteen fan and even in my adulthood I put them on par with each other...I'm a little removed from that kind of opinion these days, but JCM does hold a special place in my heart]. I remember distinctively asking my parents to bring my discman when they picked me up from Summer camp because I had missed my music so badly...this was one of my first listens on the car ride home. [And yes, I'm entirely aware that it was weird and mildly inappropriate for seventh grade SD to loose herself in lyrics such as "Well our hearts beat like thunder, I don't know why they don't explode, You got your hands in my back pockets, And Sam Cooke's singin' on the radio". I totally fantasized about that moment and in eighth grade when I gave the CD a relisten, I was experiencing that very emotion with my first boyfriend. I could totally relate to that level of passion, be it appropriate or not.] Powerful lyrics, powerful memories.

11. City of God- Catholic Classics(??)


I had to put the video up because I figured most people wouldn't be familiar with it. I discovered it, obviously, through Peyton. It's one of (my) favorite songs from (his) background. 

12. Growin' Up- Bruce Springsteen
Bruce played this at the concert we went to recently and I adored it. It was paticularly special because he pulled a twenty year old guy on stage to sing with him and the star-struck kid's reaction was priceless. It was one of the highlights of the concert. This is certainly not the best video by a lot of standards, but I wanted y'all to see (if you care), how awesome this was. Start at around 2:45 if you just want to see the birthday boy awesomeness and The Boss scratchy whisper in fatherly tones to calm the kid down. [Don't watch if strong language bothers you].


13. Growin' Up- Bruce Springsteen
Okay, so I included the acoustic version of this song because I just really like it and I was happy to find we own it. It might be a new Bruce favorite. It's got so much energy and is just so fun. I also included the version from Live in Dublin because again, well, we already own it and because it's just got a different folksy feel. I wanted to enjoy it, too :)

14. For the Beauty of the Earth/Come Ye Thankful People, Come- London Festival Orchestra
 Had to close out with another Thanksgiving hymn. Just felt right. 

No comments: