Thursday, December 6, 2012

Letter to (Three Year and Eight Month Old) Ann Peyton

Dear Ann Peyton,

It's been a wonderful month with you, but a trying one at times. I can't help but think partly it was because you, like myself, were exhausted from all the activity. You just seemed to be pushing limits a lot. Papa and I have had so many conversations- am I expecting too much of you? Am I expecting the wrong things? Am I handling these situations correctly? So much of it comes down to you just wanting things the way you want them. I think this is a three year old thing, but it's also a "Sarah Denley" thing. I see so much of myself in you, precious girl. Anyway, unless there's a good reason for it not to be, I try to let my answer be "yes". But, as you are learning, there are plenty of times that there is a good reason for "no".

You are big on the "why" question these days...another thing Minnie says reminds her a lot of me. You start asking why about something and that leads to another why...and another...and another...and on and on. It's fun and hard and exhausting. Most days I love it. Some days I tell you I'll have to look it up. A few days I want to jump off a bridge.

Your imagination is getting wilder and wilder. You told Papa a story the other day in which "Cinderella was naked and had icing on her". Of course, your intentions were entirely innocent, but we laughed and laughed. And laughed some more.

You still love those princesses. We got a little evaluation from your preschool teacher. It was all positive, but she did mention that you frequently remind her you are a princess.

You've had a few firsts in the past month- you saw your first play (Lily's Plastic Purse) and loved it. You also sang with the Angel Choir at church for the first time. You got a little scared at first, but you did GREAT! And you attended your godfather, Ellis's, wedding. It wasn't your first wedding, but it was the first in which you were a guest who could actually participate.

Speaking of, we asked Minda officially if she would be your god mother. I asked her with big tears in my eyes, and I type this with a few more. She not only told me yes, but told me serving you communion was one of the most precious moments of the night. Of the night of her wedding. Of the night in which she married my best friend. Of the night in which she married your god father.

You are a very, very blessed little girl.

We're taking you to see The Nutcracker this week and I'm a little thrilled over anticipating your reaction. You've seen YouTube videos and they fascinate you and you love ballet. In fact, you *hate* for me to put your hair in a pony tail, but if I twist it into a bun like a ballerina, you are so thrilled.

I love your little quirks and idiosyncrasies and all the things that make you Annie. I can't get enough of you.

We love you so much,
Momma (and Papa)

P.S. Your dress is a 2T (but it's a bishop, so NBD).


No comments: