Thursday, January 3, 2013

Measure in Love: 2012 Year In Review

Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes,
Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Moments so dear.
Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes
How do you measure, measure a year?
In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights
In cups of coffee
In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife.
In five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes
How do you measure
A year in the life?
How about love?
How about love?
How about love? Measure in love
Seasons of love. Seasons of love.
[I titled a post after this song once before. At that time, I offered a disclaimer about thinking it was appropriate for a birthday post for our first child even though it came from a movie musical about IV drug using homosexuals. I've grown in many ways and one such way is that I have enough confidence in myself, and in you dear readers, to not feel the need to include such a disclaimer. Just so you know.]

But enough with that, time to recap those seasons of love...

In January, we finally got our kitchen floors finished, we had the first of several conversations with the pediatrician about Grave's weight, and Annie discussed her luncheon with Aubrey on camera.
 

In February, we started to simplify and got rid of our cable and my beloved red 4Runner, which is still a little painful, if I'm being truthful. We visited the school that would become such a special place for our then not quite three year old for the first time and I realized how amazing her rich imagination was becoming. And I shared my first of (soon to be) twelve Photo A Day posts.


In March, Annie and I established a lovely new routine ; Peyton went out of town, I got invited to join the Junior League and we went to the zoo; and I blogged my heart a little bit




In August, Ann Peyton fell out of bed and broke her arm and learned to spell her (double!) name. The broken arm proved difficult to deal with and was the catalyst for a lot of set-backs (potty training, sleeping, behavior) for Annie, but we made it out relatively unscathed and I (for the most part) did not loose my mind. I started officially preparing to wean Graves. [I never did a follow up post because I was so emotional over it and writing about it scared me. I just had a lot of fear about weaning him even though I was 100% confident he was ready]. And he got his first haircut [This was emotional, too. For some reason milestones (or really, anticipating the milestones) has been hard with him]. Obviously, it was a big month for growing up.


In September, we started the month off with a leisurely week with lots of days at home- pancake breakfasts and playing in the rain. Just what we needed after a month of sickness, broken arms and a lot of growing up! Annie started school and I began a practice that has (and I hate to overstate, but) changed my life- creating monthly playlists. I also started a (neglected as of late) homeschool blog. Oh, and I shared the purpose of our "7 Experiment".
 


In October, Annie was halfway through with being a three year old and Graves was half way through with being a one year old. Peyton's store underwent some major changes and we took full advantage of our neighborhood library (and my craft drawer). I started sharing What I'm Into that month.



In November, I experienced the most emotionally intense month possibly of my life. And also one of the busiest. We visited Cookie in Nashville and (after I had a huge breakdown) saw Bruce Springsteen for the second time in a year. I spent a bunch of hours meeting my Junior League obligations at Mistletoe and was very humbled by the experience, to say the least. I blogged my thankfuls and (after releasing it all emotionally on the blog) participated in one of the most poignant, joyous, and meaningful celebrations of my life- standing by my best friend of fifteen years as he married the love of his life.


In December, we had a decidedly less eventful month. I had a great (in that lovely, ordinary way) day and got caught up on life (to some extent). We decorated, sent our annual card and letter, and prepared for Christmas. We ended the year with multiple beautiful Christmas celebrations- with family and friends and one with our little family of four. 

2012 was truly a glorious year. We were blessed in so many ways last year and I'm very grateful for all of the moments- the calm easy ones, the tense stressful ones, even the ones where I felt afraid and lost and unsure. In those moments, I found solace in the words of others, in music, in my own words. But more importantly in the faces of Graves, Annie and Peyton and a few others whose encouraging words mean more than they'll ever know. And most importantly, in the face of my Savior. May I daily look to Him in 2013. Whatever it holds.

And may I measure the moments in love.



2009 Year in Review
2010 Year in Review
2011 Year in Review



No comments: