Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Weekly Smorgasbord

Here are this week's links. It's a pretty hefty list, but a lot of variety. Enjoy!



     On Faith:
    Posted: 08 Jan 2013 10:10 PM PST
    "This is my truth. And I promise to keep on telling it, this love story. Of how Jesus would have loved me the same whether I had children or not. But how He is remaking me day in and day out through this gift that He saved till last."

    Loved this.
    Posted: 12 Jan 2013 11:10 PM PST
    "I'd want to see an explosion of philanthropy, in which we don't spend money on ourselves, but instead cooperate with others who want to make the city a desirable place to live... I would address artists and thought-leaders, emphasizing that Christians have a positive outlook for the future over and against the dystopian pessimism that so often characterizes evangelicals...we'd like to encourage growing civility and true pluralism in our society, that is, to counteract anger and contribute to the creation of an atmosphere of mutual respect among people of differing beliefs."

    This was great. Though Keller is from a different faith tradition than ours (he's Presbyterian, we're Methodists), we'll definetly be visiting his church in NYC!

    On Family:  
    Posted: 08 Jan 2013 10:22 PM PST
    "My wife and I stood in the kitchen weeping as we held each other.We weren't making up from a fight.Everyone in our family was healthy.The problem was that our little boy had nearly outgrown his side crib—a crib that I'd made for him over the summer with my own hands, cutting the wood, fitting it together, sanding it down, staining it, and attaching it to the side of our bed."
    Posted: 08 Jan 2013 10:12 PM PST
    "But whether you call it a resolution or simply plain ol' resolve, would you join me in making this an intentional practice? To speak those things that will make a difference in the lives of our children (and maybe even our spouses, extended family and friends)?To leave no words unsaid."
    Posted: 16 Jan 2013 10:27 PM PST
    Gorgeous picture of the Gospel. Y'all watch!

    On the Sanctity of Life:
    Posted: 08 Jan 2013 10:58 PM PST
    "We take 'person' to mean an individual who is capable of attributing to her own existence some (at least) basic value such that being deprived of this existence represents a loss to her."

    So disturbing. But it is the logical progression.

    On Living Living and Loving
    Posted: 08 Jan 2013 10:09 PM PST
    "We may ache and see cracks tear through our hearts, but we will get up again tomorrow and load the clothes and the words that need to be said."

     Beautiful post.
    Posted: 13 Jan 2013 12:19 PM PST
    "Pretty, it's sad to say, can have a shelf life. It's so tied up with youth that, at some point (if you're lucky), you're going to have to graduate from pretty."

    On Telling the Story:
    Posted: 08 Jan 2013 10:07 PM PST
    "I've been thinking about this food blog of mine, of food blogs in general. The other morning I confided in my best friend that part of the appeal of food blogs were the photos that made you believe the blogger had their life together....I forget to tell you about the mess of things. Not the mess of everything else—I do that—but the mess of me. It's a labour to remember to not be perfectly flawed in this space. That is, reflection is a form of fiction as much as outright storytelling is, so when I sit down to write, I am sometimes transcribed as better than I am, though more often than not as worse...This morning, I felt nothing in the Scripture reading, but I felt everything when I listened to the latest This American Life on animal sacrifice and I marvelled and wept over a mystery of God that I do not and cannot fully understand."

    This really interests me. Last week I shared an article about Madaleine L'Engle that expressed a similar (though, perhaps much stronger) sentiment about the beloved it author. It has me wondering- are the stories we are (I am) telling the whole story?
    Posted: 13 Jan 2013 12:23 PM PST
    " I try to have a hard and fast line that I don't tell other people's stories. Totally not my place.But sometimes that leaves me so super blocked, so at a loss for what to write. When all that weighs on my heart and mind is something I can't write because it's someone else's story, it's hard to feel past it to find something else to write without feeling totally disingenuous."

    Posted: 16 Jan 2013 10:42 PM PST
    OMG. I died a little bit. It's only funny if you're an NPR fan. Which, if you're an NPR fan let me know. We should be better friends.
     
    On Books, Music, and Decorating: 
    Posted: 08 Jan 2013 10:12 PM PST
    "In order to inhabit friendship in a rich, robust way today, we need to ponder these kind of mundane scenarios. How do we build loyalty and intimacy from the nitty-gritty of dog walks and car rides and canoe trips and phone calls? Many young Christians, particularly, are wondering about the practicalities of forming lasting, sacrificial friendships."

    This book sounds really interesting.

    Posted: 07 Jan 2013 09:46 PM PST
    "When I look back on all this now, I'm dizzied by the blitheness that stood in place of any sort of business sense, like the grand gesture of walking over to the roulette table and betting it all on a single number. Anyone I mentioned this plan to was quick to remind me that books were dead, that in two years—I have no idea where "two years" came from, but that number was consistently thrown at me—books would no longer exist, much less bookstores, and that I might as well be selling eight-track tapes and typewriters. But somehow all the nay-saying never registered in my brain. I could see our plan working as clearly as I could see myself standing beside my sister in Mills. I was a writer, after all, and my books sold pretty well. I spoke to crowds of enthusiastic readers all over the country, and those readers gave me confidence."

     Jesus Was An Only Son ~ Bruce Springsteen - YouTube
    Posted: 08 Jan 2013 10:20 PM PST
    New favorite song. I especially love his intro before it: "The choices we make are given meaning by the things that we give up. By the things we sacrifice for them. That's what gives them weight and meaning."

    Maybe being commissioned by The Boss was an extra nudge toward trusting. Something Peyton is asking of me lately. Something I'm asking of myself. Something the Lord is asking. Say what you will, God uses this man in my life.
    Enjoying the Small Things: Shared Room: Baby's New Digs
    Posted: 08 Jan 2013 10:23 PM PST
    Love.
       
    On Doing (Something) Better:
    Posted: 08 Jan 2013 08:55 PM PST
    I love reading more than one book at a time (though much more slowly than I used to), so this interested me.

    Posted: 08 Jan 2013 09:51 PM PST
    I struggle with Winter, so I thought this was a good list.
    Posted: 13 Jan 2013 12:47 PM PST
    "Me? Am I ever late? Sure, sometimes. That's inevitable even with the best intentions. But I never plan to be late. I never 'let time slide' because my stuff is more important than yours."

     I certainly don't "plan" to be late. But I'm late...alot. This was a good reminder of how inconsiderate it really is.
    Posted: 12 Jan 2013 10:23 PM PST
    "By educating our daughters, we can reduce supply. By educating our sons, we can reduce demand."

    Great ideas here.
    Posted: 15 Jan 2013 09:18 PM PST
    This was a really interesting post on adoption and I learned a lot from it. Adding this blog to my reader.

























    If you did happen to enjoy any of these links, I'd love to hear about it!


    No comments: