Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Tunes for the Month: February

Doing a Valentine's playlist was the obvious choice for this month. The songs, however, aren't all obvious choices. I basically picked out some of my favorite sappy love songs; a couple of songs that may not even be romantic, but are special to me and Peyton and; and a few that I mostly associate with friendship but seemed to fit perfectly among the rest. Let me go ahead and warn y'all- this post got a little racy. Read at your own discretion. Anyway, here's this month's playlist:

1. Unchained Melody- The Righteous Brothers
Oh, my love, my darling  
I've hungered for your touch 

Okay, so this list may reveal what's already been revealed here before. By and large, I have the musical preferences of a sixty something. Whatever, I love this song. I think it's beautiful and as cliche as it is, I won't apologize for it. 

2. Can't Help Falling in Love- Elvis Presley
 Like a river flows surely to the sea
Darling so it goes
Some things are meant to be
Take my hand, take my whole life too
For I can't help falling in love with you

This was one of the first pop songs I ever listened to. My grandmother, "Bump", had an Elvis Presley tape in her car at at the age of six, I kind of got the fever. Only a few years (eh, decades) behind the rest of America. There were probably five or so years where I was really, really fascinated by Elvis. Anyway, this is my favorite of his more serious love songs.

3. When a Man Loves a Woman- Percy Sledge
 When A Man Loves A Woman by Percy Sledge
When a man loves a woman
Can't keep his mind on nothing else
He'll trade the world
For the good thing he's found

Sooo...this song isn't exactly just peaches and daffodils.  Clearly, the song is about when a man loves a woman and but she treats him badly, brings him misery, ect. I think it's pretty, though, and it's clearly a love song in some sense, so on the list it went.

4. Have I Told You Lately- Van Morrison
For the morning sun in all it's glory
Greets the day with hope and comfort too
You fill my life with laughter
And somehow you make it better
Ease my troubles that's what you do
There's a love that's divine
And it's yours and it's mine like the sun
And at the end of the day
We should give thanks and pray
To the one, to the one...
Have I told you lately that I love you
Have I told you there's no one else above you
Fill my heart with gladness
Take away all my sadness
Ease my troubles that's what you do

This is another old favorite. Mickey was a big Van Morrison fan, so we listened a good bit in his car. Again, cassette tapes. Obviously. I've always...always...loved this song.  But the older I get and the more life experiences I have to it's tune, the more I adore it. It's got a decidedly spiritual (though not religious) quality to it, as much of his stuff does. It's one of those songs that I feel like I'd want playing if my life was a musical or in a montage at my death.

5. The Way You Look Tonight- Frank Sinatra
Some day, when I'm awfully low,
When the world is cold,
I will feel a glow just thinking of you
And the way you look tonight.
Yes you're lovely, with your smile so warm
And your cheeks so soft,
There is nothing for me but to love you,
And the way you look tonight.

This is a sexy song. Period.  It's one of those "getting ready for a big event" songs. I should make a playlist called "Getting Ready for a Big Event". I'll get on that.

6. Moondance- Van Morrison

Well, it's a marvelous night for a moondance
With the stars up above in your eyes
A fantabulous night to make romance
Neath the cover of October skies
And all the leaves on the trees are falling
To the sound of the breezes that blow
And I'm trying to please to the calling
Of your heart-strings that play soft and low
And all the nights magic seems to whisper and hush
And all the soft moonlight seems to shine in your blush...
Well, I wanna make love to you tonight
I can't wait 'til the morning has come
And I know that the time is just right
And straight into my arms you will run
And when you come my heart will be waiting
To make sure that you're never alone...
And every time I touch you, you just tremble inside
And I know how much you want me that you can't hide
 

Um, y'all. I'm not sure I can keep my blog PG rated and say much about this one.  First of all, lets address that I qouted the song about in its entirety. It's just that good. I love the imagery. A fantabolous night to make romance? Yep. Neath the cover of October skies? Yes please. Trying to please to the calling of your heart-strings that play soft and low? Well okay then.

Peyton and I just loved this song when we were dating. I'd almost call it "our song", but we had a lot of those. We'd sing it to each other and when we got to the line half way down...you know the one, go ahead and find it...I could barely breath. Let's just say we had to be very, very careful with this. [And we probably crossed some emotional/mental boundaries I hope my kids will avoid in their teenage/young adult courtships.] I was trying to figure out how to say exactly what this song makes/made me feel and I couldn't. Then I reread the lyrics and, crazy of crazies, the last two lines do it for me: And every time I touch you, you just tremble inside. And I know how much you want me that you can't hide.   

7. I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues- Elton John
Don't wish it away
Don't look at it like it's forever
Between you and me
I could honestly say
That things can only get better...
And while I'm away
Dust out the demons inside
And it won't be long
Before you and me run
To the place in our hearts
Where we hide...
And I guess that's why
They call it the blues
Time on my hands
Could be time spent with you
Laughing like children
Living like lovers
Rolling like thunder under the covers
And I guess that's why
They call it the blues

Again, with quoting almost the entire song. Sorry. It's that good. It's a feel good song for me. I like to put it on and blare the lyrics about how things could only get better. I like it when Elton instructs me to dust out the demons inside. I also like it when it comes on the grocery store and Peyton and I are entwine our arms and sing it. And then I realize we're pushing two kids in a cozy coup Kroger buggy and singing about "rolling like thunder under the covers" and beebopping like teenagers and I'm a little embarrassed. Not enough so that I quit, though.

8. Something About the Way You Look Tonight- Elton John
I need to tell you
How you light up every second of the day
But in the moonlight
You just shine like a beacon on the bay...
And I can't explain
But it's something about the way you look tonight
Takes my breath away
It's that feeling I get about you, deep inside
And I can't describe
But it's something about the way you look tonight
Takes my breath away
The way you look tonight...
With a smile
You pull the deepest secrets from my heart
In all honesty
I'm speechless and I don't know where to start 

I think this is another definite for "Getting Ready for a Big Event" playlist. It's also just so sweet and true with the line "With a smile, You pull the deepest secrets from my heart". Isn't that the best feeling?

9. How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You)- James Taylor
I needed the shelter of someone's arms, and there you were
I needed someone to understand my ups and downs, and there you were
With sweet love and devotion
Deeply touching my emotion
I want to stop and thank you baby
I want to stop and thank you baby...
How sweet it is to be loved by you
How sweet it is to be loved by you...
But you brighten up for me all of my days
With a love so sweet in so many ways
I want to stop and thank you baby
I just want to stop and thank you baby

Yeah, the sweetest thing. And makes me think of Peyton everytime- his arms that have been my shelter on some pretty dark days and the understanding of some vicious ups and downs.

10. Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight- James Taylor
Do me wrong, do me right. 
Tell me lies but hold me tight.
Save your good-byes for the morning light, 

but don't let me be lonely tonight.   

This is a weird choice. It's sort of sad and (obviously) lonely.  I really have no defense of the song lyrically. It was just another JT tune I loved.

11. Your Smiling Face- James Taylor
Whenever I see your smiling face,
I have to smile myself
Because I love you, yes, I do.
And when you give me that pretty little pout,
It turns me inside out.
There's something about you, baby,
I don't know...
I thought I was in love a couple of times
Before with the girl next door,
But that was long before I met you,
Now I'm sure that I won't forget you.
And I thank my lucky stars
That you are who you are,
And not just another lovely lady
Set out to break my heart.

Such a perfect song about finding the love of your life. 

12. You Are the Best Thing- Ray LaMontagne
Baby, it's been a long day, baby  
Things ain't going my way 
You know I need you here  
Here by my side  
All of the time...
Oh because, you are the best thing  
You are the best thing  
You are the best thing  
Ever happened to me

Yeah, this is Peyton's go-to song to set the mood. I won't take it any further than that.

 13. Ran Away on the Top of the World Today- O.A.R.

i don't know nothing, i don't know a thing
but if i just keep on listening, together we'll sing
i've been walking for about a thousand years
and my feet are tired of crying all those painful tears
and my sight is going blind and my soul is way down low
but i haven't seen a thing, so that's all i can know...
i've been drinking to drown away my tears
and i'm sick of all the violence and i'm sick of all the fears
but i'm moving down the road, true i'm moving kind of slow
but i haven't heard a thing, so that's all i can know...
i've been crying and losing lots of sleep
cause the roads are getting longer
winter snows come kinda deep
but i still will move along
and i still can feel the sun
and i see or hear a thing
and i'll break into a run...
i ran away to the top of the world today
i ran away to the top of the world today
ran away top of the world today  

Super odd choice, I know. I put it on the list because when we were dating (like early, early days) Peyton and I loved this song. I have vivid memories of us running up to the hospital where he worked on an errand. It's kind of surreal that we still love running errands together eight years later. And now we have two kids in tow. I do like the lyrics a lot and think they paint a neat picture. Additionally, the tune is still one of my favorites ever.

14. Sigh No More- Mumford & Sons
Love; it will not betray you
Dismay or enslave you, it will set you free
Be more like the man you were made to be...
There is a design, an alignment to cry
Of my heart to see,
The beauty of love as it was made to be

Some of my favorite Mumford lines ever. Which is saying a lot.

15. On a Night Like This- Dave Barnes
On a night like this I could fall in love
I could fall in love with you
In this dark so dense, we talk so soft
The way young lovers do
The days last sight turns to cool nights breeze
And this love hangs thick like these willow leaves
Ive hid myself away from this
But your silhouette is true love's kiss

This has appeared on a previous list. I actually mentioned the steam factor on that list. I think it's beautiful. Of the songs on this list, I think the actual music is the sultriest in this one. And I think the imagery is gorgeous and sexy.

16. So Are You to Me- Eastmountainsouth
As the music at the banquet
As the wine before the meal
As the firelight in the night
So are you to me
As the ruby in the setting

As the fruit upon the tree
As the wind blows over the plains
So are you to me 
This was on the same aforementioned list. I think it's particularly beautiful and worth the repeat. 

17. Stay- Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs
Oh, won't you stay
Just a little bit longer
Please let me hear
You say that you will
Say you will...Won't you press your sweet lips
To mine
Won't you say you love me
All of the time 

I was searching for a different song from the Dirty Dancing soundtrack (the next one), but I found this and had to include it.

18. Hungry Eyes- Eric Carmen
 I've been meaning to tell you
I've got this feelin' that won't subside
I look at you and I fantasize
You're mine tonight
Now I've got you in my sights...
With these hungry eyes
One look at you and I can't disguise
I've got hungry eyes
I feel the magic between you and I

This was the first song I heard that I thought "Woah. Sexy." Could've had something to do with the movie, which I still love lots.

19. Ain't Even Done with the Night- John Melloncamp
Well our hearts beat like thunder
I don't know why they don't explode
You got your hands in my back pockets
And Sam Cooke's singin' on the radio
You say that I'm the boy who can make it all come true
Well I'm tellinya that I don't know if I know what to do
 
Another favorite that dates back to like seventh grade. 

20. Thunder Road- Bruce Springsteen

The screen door slams
Marys dress sways
Like a vision she dances across the porch
As the radio plays
Roy orbison singing for the lonely
Hey that's me and I want you only...
Show a little faith, there's magic in the night
You aint a beauty, but hey you're alright
Oh and that's alright with me...
Oh-oh come take my hand
Riding out tonight to case the promised land
Oh-oh thunder road, oh thunder road oh thunder road

I've shared this before, but this is probably the closest I could come to calling a song mine and Peyton's. Several months after we started dating, this song was playing in Peyton's car one night after I ran out the front door of my parent's house and hopped in.  We just looked at each other and we both felt something there we had never felt before.  I remember we both had tears in our eyes and I kept asking Peyton "What? What is it?" and he said "I think we're falling in love" and I said "I think that's it" and we cried and hugged and kissed.  I will always love this song and that memory.

Also, for what it's worth, I will always love the memories of seeing my favorite musician, one who was singing on stage in a wife beater near forty years ago, perform. That's just surreal to me. 

21. Dancing in the Dark- Bruce Springsteen
 I get up in the evening, and I ain't got nothing to say
I come home in the morning, I go to bed feeling the same way
I ain't nothing but tired, man I'm just tired and bored with myself
Hey there baby, I could use just a little help

I just think it's a fun song and good to dance to. Obviously. 

22. She's the One- Bruce Springsteen
 Oh and just one kiss
She'd fill them long summer nights
With her tenderness
That secret pact you made
Back when her love could save you
From the bitterness
Oh she's the one

I heard this one for the first time at the concert we went to back in October. I love it. 

23. Prove It All Night- Bruce Springsteen
Everybody's got a hunger, 
a hunger they can't resist,
There's so much that you want, you
deserve much more than this,

Yeah, another really good one I recently discovered. It doesn't totally fit the list well, but I've been enjoying it lately so it made the cut.

24. If I Should Fall Behind- Bruce Springsteen

 We said we'd walk together baby come what may
That come the twilight should we lose our way
If as were walkin a hand should slip free
Ill wait for you
And should I fall behind
Wait for me...
We swore wed travel darlin side by side
Wed help each other stay in stride
But each lovers steps fall so differently
But I'll wait for you
And if I should fall behind
Wait for me

While the other songs this list speak of a romantic, passionate love, to me this song conveys the real heart of our marriage. I've loved this song so much and it reminds me of how much I cherish my best friend. The one who so faithfully waits for me every time I fall behind. I'm beyond blessed that I get to call myself his wife.

25. Stand by Me- Ben E. King
When the night has come and the land is dark  
And the moon is the only light we see  
No, I won't be afraid, oh, I won't be afraid
Just as long as you stand, stand by me...
If the sky that we look upon should tumble and fall 
Or the mountain should crumble to the sea 
I won't cry, I won't cry, no, I won't shed a tear  
Just as long as you stand, stand by me

Where else to end it? Basically, if the world ends (or feels like it's ending) there's really nothing to be sad or afraid of if you'll stand by me. I'm glad that my greatest hope is not in a man, I really am. But I'm also glad that when things look the bleakest or are the most frightening I do have someone so faithfully devoted to standing by me.

2 comments:

Mallory Pickering said...

Love it and I love reading about y'all's love story. Sounds like a movie to me. :)

Bre said...

I think this is one of my favorite tunes posts, mainly because of all of the stories and memories that go with each song. Also, where you're worried about any emotional/mental bounties that you want your kids to avoid in teenage romance, I just hope they are lucky enough to be able to find a partner they are as much in love with as you and Payton are!