Thursday, February 28, 2013

What I'm Into: February

 

On the Nightstand:
I've been keeping up with reading (offline) better again this month. That's kind of been a loose goal for this year and I'm pretty satisfied with my accomplishments so far!

Reflections for Ragamuffins: Daily Devotions by Brennan Manning
I didn't read as much from this in February and I'm sure I lost out on some really good truth because of it.

Work: A Kinddom Perspective on Labor by Ben Witherington III
I've continued to really enjoy this one. The style is bit difficult because the author tends to jump around a bit and there are some tangents, but overall the content FAR outweighs these little issues.
"...When we find our calling we are unlikely to find it boring, though we may find it onerous in ways. It is also unlikely that we will hate what we are called to do, though there may be days or even longer periods when difficulties or even dangers make us wish very strongly that we were called to do something else."
[Thank you, Ben Witherington, for speaking words to the cry of my heart. We can be called...truly unequivocally called...to something and still for a day, or a season, wish mightily we were called to something different.]

"It's not just that the sluggard takes the path of least resistance; rather, he takes the path of least exertion. His life is one of avoidance- avoidance of things that require real effort or could prove challenging....(this from Derek Kidner) [He] deceives himself by the smallness of his surrenders. So, by inches and minutes, his opportunity slips away.''
[I definitely deceive myself by the smallness of my surrenders.] 



I've really enjoyed spending some time in my "homeschool encylopedia" and I'm beginning to more fully understand the foundations of a classical education. Reading this breaks things down into very basic, bearable chunks and it gets me excited about actually doing this
 
 

Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
Annie and I finished our first chapter book together and it was such a special experience, one I'll hold in my heart forever. I plan to write more about it on my homeschool blog, but it was wonderful to have that time with her.

"'You have been my friend," replied Charlotte. "That in itself is a tremendous thing. I wove my webs for you because I liked you. After all, what's a life, anyway? We're born, we live a little while, we die. A spider's life can't help being something of a mess, with all this trapping and eating flies. By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift up my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone's life can stand a little of that.""  

"These autumn days will shorten and grow cold. The leaves will shake loose from the trees and fall. Christmas will come, then the snows of Winter. You will live to enjoy the beauty of the frozen world, for you mean a great deal to Zuckerman and he will not harm you, ever. Winter will pass, the days will lengthen, the ice will melt in the pasture pond. The song sparrow will return and sing, the frogs will awake, the warm wind will blog again. All these sights and sounds and smells will be yours to enjoy, Wilbur- this lovely world, these precious days..."
[This lovely world, these precious days....ours to enjoy. Thank you, E.B. White for this wonderful gift.]

On the Shelf:
I'm keeping one from last month and adding a new one. Interestingly, they're both "manuals".

Photoshop Elements 10: The Missing Manuel

Equipped to Serve (the Training Manual for the Center for Pregnancy Choices where I'm volunteering)

At the Theater (or from the couch):
Again, no traditional movies this month.

The National Parks: America's Best Idea
Peyton's been watching this series. It's a six disc set (he's streaming it on Netflix), so it's pretty involved and I've been hesitant to commit since I'm trying to catch up to where he is in The West Wing. I've caught bits and pieces, though. And what I've seen, I've found really interesting.

Also, this:
Besides it being the month of love, we thought it was time for Annie to see it. The three of us had the best time watching.

On the Small Screen:
Pretty much we've zeroed in on our current favorite show.

The West Wing
We're about fifteen episodes in. I love all the characters and the plots are really engaging. It seems like every episode I "fall" for a character. Toby and the funeral for the homeless vet? Y'all. If you watched the show, you probably know exactly what I mean.

In My Ears:
Mainly my February playlist. I'm pretty proud of it. Okay, the thing is stellar. You're not going to find a better collection of love songs.
  
Around the House:
My mom got us (mainly Peyton because it's his thing) this counter top compost bin. I love it. It's clean, cute, and SO functional. No more gross tupperware with orange peels waiting to be dumped outside. 
Also, this is a great example of how inconsistent I am with household chores. I scrub it to the point that we could get food out and eat it again. Yet all around it, a more obvious mess pervades.

Another something from my mom. She got this for us for New York and it pretty much inspired a whole post on my NYC blog.

Finally, I don't do much for things like Valentine's day, but I did bust out a few decorations for the kitchen. 
[I keep the heart dessert stand out a lot of the year and I pretty much moved the Valentine's day aprons to the front of the pile.]

In the Kitchen:
The Winter Soup Challenge is still going strong. This month I made a chicken tortilla from one of my favorite cookbooks:
Ordinary I'm not a fan of this type soup (spicy, tomato-based), but it was SO good.

And here's my guilty pleasure for the month. I've been loving trying different types of popcorn. My current fave is white cheddar. 

In My Closet:
My go to outfit this month:

I've worn this dress a few times because it's so easy and SO comfy. And I've gotten really into the textured leggings since Peyton said he liked them!
 
In My Mailbox:
Not much at all. The kids both got a Valentine from Peyton's grandmother. That was the extent. A pretty sweet extent, of course!

In My Cart:
I went to my very favorite consignment sale this week and here's what I picked up. I was pretty excited that I was able to use a bit of discretion. We're really working hard at this budget thing (I know, I sound like a broken record) and I'm trying to be faithful to that. I assumed this would be one of the most challenging points of the year. I took Minnie with me for reinforcements and I think we did really good. 
 
On My Heart:
I thought a lot about love this month and how incredibly blessed I am to be surrounded by the people I am, people that I love dearly and that love me well.

In My Prayers:
- I'm trying to focus my heart on the cross as we prepare to remember the events of Good Friday. I certainly don't ever want it to be far from my mind, but I'm praying God will help me to slow down and dwell on it.
- Our church is going through a LOT of transition in the coming months, espesially with the pastoral staff. I'm praying for a smooth transition and that God will continue to guide us in ways He'd have us serve.
- For Ann Peyton and Graves's friendships. I've been thinking a lot about my own friendships and I've also noticed her relationship with one of her little friends really coming into it's own. I want to be more diligent about praying for the children and teenagers that will be my daughter's and son's dearest friends.  

On the Calendar:  
The big thing in March is that I'm going with two of my absolute favorite people to an adoption conference. It's no big secret that adoption is something Peyton and I passionately support and something that we believe is God's will for our family in the future. I'm excited about surrounding myself with people who care so deeply about something close to my heart and also about spending time with some dear friends.

I'm linking up with Leah again, of course!

What I'm Into at HopefulLeigh


What I'm Into site

What I'm Into site

1 comment:

Mallory Pickering said...

Sometimes I think we should do a book swap the way we swap articles. But reading books is not as high on my priority list this year, so I probably wouldn't be the best contender. Also, a recipe swap. On index cards. No technology involved.