Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Good Words

One of Annie's favorite ways to encourage her brother is to say "Bud, you're saying lots of good words." There are times when it brings a smile to my face and times when it brings a tear to my eye. I love her encouraging spirit. I love that she wants to affirm her brother in something that she subconsciously realizes he struggles with. But truthfully, I also love that in some tiny way, it confirms to me that she knows the value of words.

I hope I'm not reading too much into it, but I don't really think I am. Peyton and I have made it a goal to surround her with robust language- through our conversations, through literature, through music. Aside from her spiritual formation and the character values we want to instill, this might well be the thing that takes priority on my lists of parenting aspirations- that she will be surrounded by good words. The opportunity for increased dialogue with my children is one of the single greatest draws to homeschooling for me.

If it weren't obvious before, it's obvious now: words are very significant to me. I always knew that, but it took me until adulthood to realize just how significant they are. I remember a really special conversation with Ellis in which he talked about the sacredness of words and I thought, yes, yes exactly. And I remember reading this post about how we don't understand the value of words, or the cost and thinking yes, even as someone who loves words possibly more than anything else on the planet, with the exception of people, I don't think I take them seriously enough. But I do know their power.

I realized their power during my teenage through conversations with people I loved. I realized it again when I discovered how very much I love writing in this space. But recently I've realized their power when I fill my home with them:

 
 

 “She had always wanted words, she loved them; grew up on them. Words gave her clarity, brought reason, shape.”
- Michel Ondaatje, The English Patient 


1 comment:

Seth said...

Surrounding our kids with robust language. That is right as rain, I say. Right as rain.