Friday, March 1, 2013

Weekly Smorgasbord

So, this list is a good bit shorter than some others lately. All the posts are really good, though!




    On Faith:
    Posted: 25 Feb 2013 07:17 PM PST
    "Methodists who are worthy of the name should be unabashedly in favor of Christian perfection. What is at stake is not a vague theological principle. Our hope is at stake. Where is our hope? If it is in ourselves or human capacity, then we would be foolish to preach Christian perfection. But if our hope is in the One who has shattered sin and death's hold on all who are created in the image of God, then why would we, how could we, tell anyone that God does not want them to experience complete freedom from all that keeps them from abundant life in the triune God?"

    Posted: 28 Feb 2013 08:40 PM PST
    So interesting!

    Posted: 28 Feb 2013 08:21 PM PST
    "There is no movement toward relaxing the biblical prohibition against homosexual behavior. In fact, these texts push hard in the other direction. The assumed analogy between slavery, women and homosexual conduct is simply not there. In both covenants, homosexual behavior is regarded as sin. Just to be clear, these texts are referring to homosexual behavior, not homosexual persons, who like all people, are the objects of God's grace and love...We can expect for this argument from analogy to become louder and louder in the days to come. On the surface it seems so plausible. As a result, we must be prepared to enter dialogue with gentleness and humility while respectfully taking this argument to task with sound biblical analysis."

    Posted: 28 Feb 2013 01:20 PM PST
    "But I'm also surrounded by men of valour. And I want to celebrate the men also changing the world through daily acts of faithfulness and godliness...Men of valour! for standing up for, and with, us. We see you loving the women in your life well, we see you honouring us–your wives, your sisters, your mothers, your grandmothers, your daughters, your friends–we see you serving with abandon, we see you hungering for justice, we see your dedication to true purity, to wisdom, to knowledge, to honour, to respect, to beauty, to mercy."


    On Family:
    Posted: 28 Feb 2013 01:27 PM PST
    "So as the priests and priestesses of our homes, what picture of God are we presenting to our children when we humiliate them and shame them? When we tell them to treat others the way that they want to be treated in one breath, and withhold grace and offer condemnation in the next, what message does that send? Should we be surprised when our kids are perhaps less graceful with us when we inevitably make a mistake?...There has to be something more than shame that defines the way we discipline our children."

    There's that certain voice. I hate talking to my children in that voice. I'm thankful that there IS a better way and that His mercies are new each morning.
    Posted: 28 Feb 2013 01:10 PM PST
    "It's this place where I am so afraid to wish away the small things that bring headaches because time will take the sweet smells and funny giggles with it."
    Posted: 28 Feb 2013 01:12 PM PST
    "And I'm falling behind on everything else, but just once, I need to be skin-to-skin with this moment, heartbeat-to-heartbeat, surrendered to the big and the little and the just once-ness of it all."

    Megan's has long been one of my favorite blogs. I just love her humor and honesty. So exciting that her boyS are finally here!

     On Friendship:
    Posted: 28 Feb 2013 07:43 PM PST
    "So, "no" to the sitcom view: friendship isn't the main attraction, while the gift and calling of married love (itself a far cry from the "romantic" love these TV shows exhibit) is relegated to being a sideline affair. But also "no" to the fear of loneliness among many young Christians today: remaining unmarried need not mean the diminishment of loving bonds among friends, and it need not entail being excluded from the familial life of our churches. Or at least it ought not."


    On Adoption:
    Posted: 28 Feb 2013 08:39 PM PST
    "I fell asleep knowing that she was still confused and grieving, but believing that she was realizing that even though she didn't know who we were, we were kind and gentle. And I prayed that her little heart would heal."

    A hard post on adoption, but beautiful nonetheless.

    On Breastfeeding:
    Posted: 25 Feb 2013 12:31 PM PST
    "No one put this picture on the cover of a magazine. Instead, someone who adored this woman and this child, kept it close, inside a pocket, secret and beloved."

    This is old, but I thought it was really neat.

    On Being Kind and Compassionate:
    Posted: 27 Feb 2013 12:40 PM PST
    So inspiring. Wonderful to watch.
    Posted: 28 Feb 2013 08:22 PM PST
    "Here's another thing, let's give people the benefit of the doubt. Let's believe the best about someone (I constantly have to remind myself to do this because I'm terrible at it). If I tweet a link to an article written by a gay Christian, can we all just assume I think the article is worthwhile and I'm not necessarily endorsing everything on the blog? Can I share articles and quotes and thoughts from those who may vary wildly from me? Or maybe they don't. Or maybe it doesn't matter because I'm not the authority, God is."
     On Blogging Transparently:
    Posted: 28 Feb 2013 08:40 PM PST
    "And, I have a whole lot of messy to share. My life isn't perfect, and I can't pretend it is, but it's my life, and it's something I find worthy of sharing with others. That's why I blog, and that's why, from now on I'm done trying to box myself into some "niche" or worrying too much about being vulnerable now that I know some of my IRL (in real life) friends and family read this blog. I'm me, and I think I'm a pretty awesome person in spite of my messiness. I hope you'll enjoy reading along."

     I already had a sort of similar post in drafts, so of course, I loved this.

    On Personal Style:
    Posted: 28 Feb 2013 01:14 PM PST
    "And what was cool about people before is lost in imitation of something not normal...But even though I know this about myself, I am easily influenced by something looking great on someone else and before I know it, I've fallen down a Shopbop rabbit trail....Stand strong, beautiful women! Use pinterest and the blogosphere to inform and entertain, even as a basis to experiment, but don't lose yourself. You're (we're) better as we are, not as carbon copies."


    On Decorating:  

    Posted: 28 Feb 2013 01:14 PM PST
    Cute idea!











    Hope you enjoy!

    No comments: