Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Weekly Smorgasbord

Such a short list. It's been a LONG while since I've had a complete list with this few. I guess I just had other stuff going on and didn't pay my Reader as much time as usual. [Which sidenote: Reader is going away and I'm a bit distraught. Onto the links, though.]



    On Faith:
    Posted: 18 Mar 2013 09:21 PM PDT
    In very few arenas would we tolerate a similar discussion about another group of people. And yet open-minded people listen to such meandering musings with a sympathetic ear, as if they are hearing something wise, brave or original. When in reality, they are hearing something uninformed and insulting...No one group of people can carry the blame for all the worst that pervades society. We call that stereotyping. I am not apologizing for a church I am not a member of." Apparently, the full RS interview hasn't been released yet. I agree with a lot of the article, but parts of it feel like overstatement and like the author is putting words in Mumford's mouth.
    Posted: 17 Mar 2013 07:28 PM PDT
    "Ultimately, it isn't about the questions. Behind the questions is a deep current of emotion threatening to overtake us. But too often, when the fracture in the universe threatens to swallow us up in pain we fail to get fully present to our emotions. In those moments I think we do one of two things. Either we ask the questions but never investigate what emotion is driving those questions, or we resort to some banal Christian slogan to try and make us feel better...This experience forced me to look at one such statement that gets spouted often when people go through a lot: God won't give you more than you can handle. If I may be so bold, let's just call that what it is: Bullshit."

    One of the creeds we say at our church  reads: "We believe in the forgiveness of sins, in the life and love and prayer, and in GRACE EQUAL TO EVERY NEED." To me "grace equal to every need" is so much better than "God won't give you anything you can't handle" which is just trite and doesn't make near as much sense to me.

    On Parenting:
    Posted: 16 Mar 2013 09:31 PM PDT
    "We know it's true that they grow up too fast. But feeling like I have to enjoy every moment doesn't feel like a gift, it feels like one more thing that is impossible to do, and right now, that list is way too long. Not every moment is enjoyable as a parent; it wasn't for you, and it isn't for me. You just have obviously forgotten. I can forgive you for that. But if you tell me to enjoy every moment one more time, I will need to break up with you."
    On Love:
    Posted: 16 Mar 2013 09:41 PM PDT
    So cool. Say "yes" to love.
    On Gender Roles:
    [These are actually old posts, but I bookmarked them and then forgot to share. I thought they were both really good.]  
    Posted: 14 Mar 2013 08:21 PM PDT
    "Isn't a boy playing with a doll is merely acting this out? Far from being "like a girl" isn't that boy simply tapping into his deep-seeded, God-given and God-reflecting very male desire to show love, to delight in another, smaller human? I think yes. Strachan apparently thinks no...Maybe Strachan's right. Maybe boys playing with dolls is foolish. As foolish as the God who once taught a tribe of Israel "to walk, taking them by the arms" and who lifted them like "a little child to the cheek" (Hosea 11:3-4). As foolish as a man who endured shame and humiliation in marrying a woman impregnated by another and following God's giant call for his wife's life and her boy (Matt. 1:24). As foolish as the father who hiked up his skirts to run out to welcome his lost son home (Luke 15:20). And as foolish as seeing God himself and his delighted love when a boy (or bear) rocks a doll."
    Posted: 14 Mar 2013 08:22 PM PDT
    "At the heart of Owen Strachan's argument is the idea that Baby Bear's actions are contrary to Biblical manhood and womanhood. I've read the Bible. And I agree with Owen that God created men and woman as equal but distinct, with unique strengths and callings. The problem is, "biblical" as Owen Strachan uses it, really means "Protestant America in the 1950′s according to Norman Rockwell" (my words, not his)...And there is literally nothing more "Biblical" and "Gospel-centered" than the concept of a loving father (see: the entire Bible)...If you want to blog about that, about your opinion that we should raise our kids according to some rather arbitrary gender stereotypes, that's your business. But you dragged the Gospel into it. You claimed that the Bible supported your assumption. And it doesn't."

    On Birth:
    Posted: 16 Mar 2013 09:34 PM PDT
    "Have natural birth advocacy groups gone to extremes of avoiding interventions, that instead of empowering women, they've unintentionally become just as guilty as the surgeon who tells them interventions are an absolute necessity to give birth?" I thought this was really, really good. I obviously have opinions on birth (maybe even strong ones?), but I never want to be part of a culture of shame and guilt. I especially loved the quotes from doulas and other birth pros and actually one thing that initially helped me commit to attempting a natural birth with Graves was the grace and flexibility my doula assured me she'd offer. Really interesting.



    Enjoy!

    No comments: