Thursday, March 28, 2013

Weekly Smorgasbord

My favorites from the last week or so:





On Faith:
Posted: 22 Mar 2013 07:56 PM PDT
"BUT this isn't a game, a competition of sorts. Dare we create a new legalism where we compare and compete to suffer most for Jesus. We will have enough hard without chasing it...But the message of our generation is "live radical."..And while a good number of us need to be pushed off high cliffs because we weren't living our stories because we were numb or afraid… we need to move to apartments, adopt children, change careers, dream big… most of us are obediently staying, obediently leading 15 year olds every sunday at youth group, obediently cooking for our friend who just had a baby, obediently grabbing Starbucks before a mundane day at a job we don't love, obediently inviting coworkers into our homes that may be a little too big, obediently dropping our husband's shirts at the dry cleaners, obediently taking care of sick kids or deeply sick parents, obediently living without fanfare, obediently cheering for someone else's more radical God ordained adventures, obediently joyful with easy and thankful for days that don’t hurt."

On Parenting:
Posted: 26 Mar 2013 10:09 PM PDT
"I know you're about worn out, and most days, bedtime can't come soon enough. You need a break or you feel like you will lose. your. mind. Seriously, I know. But let me tell you, it hurts to lie down next to your baby and realize just how much you missed the ball when it came to her needs. It hurts when you remember how you thought you needed to discipline her when really, she just needed you to lie down and cuddle and comfort."
Posted: 26 Mar 2013 10:03 PM PDT
"surround yourself with people who love you. people who will ALWAYS love you. people who won't remind you of the crazy crap you said when your kid had been screaming AT you for 3 solid months..for 90 SOLID DAYS. let them love you. let them bring you dinner. let them hold your baby while you shower. let them do whatever they are willing to do. and hug them. and say thank you. and do the same for them when they need it. because that's where God is. He is in the love. the kindness. the friendships. that's where we will find Him."

So much wisdom here.
Posted: 23 Mar 2013 01:59 PM PDT
"That hostility is yet another example of a puzzling disconnect in the American parental psyche. We live in an undeniable culture of helicopter parenting, in which we will go to extraordinary lengths to shield our kids from even the most remote of possible threats or discomforts. (Wipe warmers, anyone?) We worry about an endless cavalcade of potential dangers, from crib bumpers and BPA to blind cords and arsenic-laced juice boxes. And yet, many parents are bizarrely inattentive, if not downright hostile, to discussion of the single most deadly threat to our children's safety, and ironically the one perhaps most within our power to actually offset: automobiles."

On Sexual Assault:
Posted: 23 Mar 2013 09:03 PM PDT
"The worst thing for me is that you don't have to worry about the enemy, you have to worry about your own soldiers," she says...Sitting in a circle, a group of women nod in agreement. All are veterans, most have spent time in Iraq and Afghanistan, but they're also survivors of another war. According to the Pentagon's own research, more than 1 in 4 women who join the military will be sexually assaulted during their careers..."I was assaulted while I was in boot camp in the Army, and I was raped when I went to the Navy," says Sabina Rangel, who is hosting the group in her living room outside El Paso, Texas."

So tragic.

On Emotional Pain:
Posted: 25 Mar 2013 07:30 PM PDT
"I didn't say, Oh no big deal. I'm a martyr. I can handle it. Because we usually don't do that with physical injuries. My husband said to go to the doctor. He was right and I listened to him. I got my injury looked at and cared for. I got help for my pain. But we do that so easily with emotional pain. We say that it's no big deal. It doesn't hurt that bad. I can heal on my own. I don't need help."

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. One of the best things I've read on the Internet in awhile.

On Writing and Writers:
Posted: 26 Mar 2013 10:15 PM PDT
"It is a beautiful way to approach writing, to view it as a causative expression, a medium that can change realities. Want peace? Write peace, my friend says. She might say it on a whole host of topics, really."

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 09:06 PM PDT
""I am 23 years old, six weeks on the loose in N.Y. However, I was a New Yorker for a whole year in 1930-31 while attending advertising classes in Columbia's School of Business. Actually I am a southerner, from Mississippi, the nation's most backward state....I have a B.A. ('29) from the University of Wisconsin, where I majored in English without a care in the world. For the last eighteen months I was languishing in my own office in a radio station in Jackson, Miss., writing continuities, dramas, mule feed advertisements, santa claus talks, and life insurance playlets; now I have given that up."

Fascinating.


On Blogging:
Posted: 22 Mar 2013 07:54 PM PDT
"My blog is not a treatise. It's not an essay. It's not an argument. My blog is a space in which I share what I'm sorting through, wrestling with, figuring out right now. Right now. Today. This moment. That's all. Sometimes I tell stories, sometimes I exegete Scripture, sometimes I do a bit of both. That's what this space is. And if you don't like that, then you don't need to keep reading it. No hard feelings...I'm convinced by stories. If you want me to take you seriously, if you want me to listen to you, then you've got to put some of your heart out on the table right next to mine and really want to talk it out...This blog will no longer host or house or produce a post that is criticism or reaction. I will write only reflection and story. I will only offer myself."

I had a conversation recently with a friend about that last little part and I can only say I applaud such conviction. What a beautiful aspiration for one's writing space.

On Social Media:
Posted: 22 Mar 2013 07:56 PM PDT
HAHAHA. Truth.



Hope you enjoy!

No comments: