Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Weekly Smorgasbord

Lots of different stuff here. Some really, really good stuff.




    On Marriage:
    Posted: 05 Mar 2013 12:34 PM PST
    "So, that's my big thank you to Ben Affleck for showing us, in a world of happily ever afters and immediate gratification, that it is normal to sacrifice things and a certain lifestyle for marriage. It is worth it to give up so many of our comforts for the sake of our marriage and for our children...It's what God calls us to do, and our obedience is worship."

    On Writing and Faith:
    Posted: 05 Mar 2013 12:57 PM PST
    "I believe the freedom to create – or to "spend it all" as Annie Dillard says – is in direct connection to our trust in God's provision. Do we believe, even in our art, that he is the giver of all good gifts, the provider, the El Shaddai, my God of more-than-enough? Or are we in charge of hoarding it for ourselves and our carefully crafted outcomes and desires?"

    Posted: 05 Mar 2013 01:01 PM PST
    "Because God is enough…and also we were made for relationship, for each other. It's true that songs are meant to be heard and words are meant to be read and paintings are meant to be seen, and it's okay if you want your work to mean something to someone. There is no sin in that; there is no shame."
     
    On Gender Roles:
    Posted: 03 Mar 2013 08:13 PM PST
    " In the church (indeed, from Owen Strachan, the head of the Council for Biblical Manhood and Womanhood), we hear that to tell a little boy that it's ok to play with a doll is an "unbiblical and socially disastrous teaching on sexuality and gender." Strachan goes on to say that "boys playing with dolls is foolish" and a sign of Satan's influence in our world. Strachan can take my son's baby when he pries it from my cold, dead, mama-bear claws."

     I have a son who is very, very much like the writer's little boy. Some of my most cherished photographs of him are of him feeding and burping his "baby" (one of the few words he says consistently, at almost two). The other night I heard him say "Rock, baby. Rock, rock, baby". It was the most words he's connected at once. Ever. It was one of my favorite moments in his life. Possibly in MY life. Words like those of Strachan make me rage. What would my son's life be like in this man's home?? Peyton asked me awhile back why I was so concerned with this conversation on gender roles in the church. THIS IS WHY. If you need to call me a feminist because no part of me can stomach this, call me a damn feminist.

    On Sex:
    Posted: 21 Feb 2013 08:23 PM PST
    "Jesus wants the rose...that's the point of the gospel.

    On Race: 
    How to Slowly Kill Yourself and Others in America: A Remembrance
    Posted: 21 Feb 2013 08:36 PM PST
    "I know that as I've gotten deeper into my late twenties and thirties, I have managed to continue killing myself and other folks who loved me in spite of me. I know that I've been slowly killed by folks who were as feverishly in need of life and death as I am. The really confusing part is that a few of those folk who have nudged me closer to slow death have also helped me say yes to life when I most needed it. Usually, I didn't accept it. Lots of times, we've taken turns killing ourselves slowly, before trying to bring each other back to life...I wonder what all three of those children of our nation really remember about how to slowly kill themselves and other folks in America the day before parts of them definitely died under the blue-black sky in Central Mississippi."

     On Being Respectful:
    Posted: 21 Feb 2013 08:19 PM PST
    "I am simply saying I agree with Zach's point that despite what you think of the man (or woman one day :) who holds the office, you should still afford the honor and respect that the office he (or she) was elected to holds. He is the President of the United States and will be for the next four years, it is appropriate to treat him that way." Totally agree with how inappropriate it is to refer to the POTUS by simply his surname (and also when biased media talking faces say "Mr. Obama"). I want to always remember to honor the office and call my children to a higher standard in tempering their political opinions with respect for their elected officials.

    On Social Media and Creativity:
    Posted: 05 Mar 2013 12:58 PM PST
    "I want to create lasting works. That takes lasting spans of quiet and peace. Boredom breeds creativity. We know instinctively know that, as bored children we created whole other worlds to entertain ourselves. I need to get back to that place."

    On Topics of Intrigue and Hilarity:

    Posted: 21 Feb 2013 09:32 PM PST
    SO cool.

    8 New and Necessary Punctuation Marks - CollegeHumor Article
    Posted: 21 Feb 2013 09:22 PM PST
    This. OMG, this.








    Enjoy and be stretched!

    No comments: