Thursday, April 11, 2013

Weekly Smorgasbord

Another list for you:





On Faith:
Posted: 03 Apr 2013 09:03 PM PDT
"Which is to say, the problem with the call to radical Christianity is that it may not be radical enough. It's clear that middle- and upper-class Christians are looking for a deeper, more profound experience of faith. Yet it's unclear whether we can invigorate faith without revisiting our worship and community practices, asking whether they are forming disciples at subterranean levels."

Posted: 04 Apr 2013 09:05 PM PDT
"As I buckle my two into carseats how I show them that for even me, He came. He came and brought joy and hope and peace – even for the little ones in my own minivan. I'm at the end of myself again. I cancelled our plans to join a service project as a family, and instead we ate a quiet meal around our table. Seth read them a book. He held them in his arms...We've had to remind ourselves again and again that salvation doesn't come when we work more. Sometimes it comes when we stop and lay down the work, not in sloth, but more like in the work of turning back a cup and drinking. Isn't God's mercy active in our lives, pouring in, and doesn't salvation come when we are filled?...Do you forget to find your strength from the source along the journey, or are you so work-driven that your bones have become brittle and dry?"

 I thought this was a beautiful theology of work/rest.

On Family:
Posted: 06 Apr 2013 07:22 PM PDT
"When I look back on this season of our life, I am confident these are the pictures I will love most. The real ones. The ones of us doing our perfectly imperfect life together."

Yes!

Posted: 09 Apr 2013 09:00 PM PDT
"Are your children convinced that the following statement is true? 'The value of this moment is in experiencing it with you, not in what others will make me feel about it.' We aren't fooling them. They see us click, click, click, and stare at our cameras. It used to be that we were staring at them. Social media doesn't have to be bad, and it's an amazing way of sharing glimpses of life. I'm not saying we shut the machine down. I'm just challenging you to ask yourself this: Am I documenting or directing? Please don't fool yourself into thinking your kid doesn't know the difference in a party thrown for her and a party thrown for Pinterest. Because you can spend all those hours holed up in the garage constructing what you believe will be the pinnacle of party success without stopping to evaluate whether a 2 year old is actually capable of appreciating a full scale recreation of a Parisian cafe."

AMEN.

On Writing:
Posted: 05 Apr 2013 09:20 PM PDT
"There is an inherent responsibility that comes with storytelling, even if you're not a writer. So be careful in the telling. Be careful how you connect characters to causes, memories to legacies. Be careful that the narrative you create respects others' stories, —because God is still redeeming them."
Posted: 04 Apr 2013 09:10 PM PDT
"I'm filled with these stories, stacked by tens and twenties like an overflowing bookcase. I have stories of a little girl exuberant, knowing her own mind. I have stories of a young woman confident only in fear and self lost during the in-between years and little-girl-grown-up, found again."

Maybe the most beautiful writing I read last week.

On The Sanctity of Life:
Posted: 06 Apr 2013 02:34 PM PDT
"As a writer who is also in the pro-life movement I understand the importance of words. Calling an unborn child a fetus, while medically accurate, can depersonalize the child, allowing members of the public to rationalize abortion in the same way that calling certain members of society "useless eaters," "vermin," and "life unworthy of life" eventually depersonalized entire classes of people, including the mentally retarded, and sent them to their deaths in the Nazi concentration camps..."My point is this: if an entire class of people, those with three sets of the 21st chromosome, are routinely targeted for destruction—at a scandalous rate of 90 percent—can merely changing the term we use to describe those 10 percent who escape the net increase respect for their human dignity and intrinsic value to society in a meaningful way?"
 On Modesty:
Posted: 04 Apr 2013 09:19 PM PDT
"Victoria's Secret is actually scrupulous about only hiring models over the age of 18; most of the models for Pink are in their 20s. This stance contrasts notably with that of many of its competitors in the mass market, and with virtually all of the high-fashion brands, which regularly use models as young as 13 or 14 in their ads, and which often portray those minors in highly sexualized ways."

 I RARELY link to Jezebel, because frankly, it's just not something I want to align myself with. [There are few things I read that I feel so strongly about...obviously.] But this was interesting and I think had some valid points.
On Race:
Posted: 02 Apr 2013 10:36 PM PDT
"If we're completely honest…all too often, black men – especially young black men – are seen through the singular story that they are suspicious…if not dangerous. And this, in itself, is unjust."
On Sociological Type Stuff:
Posted: 04 Apr 2013 09:53 PM PDT
"Any cultural stimuli we are exposed to during puberty can, therefore, make more of an impression, because we're now perceiving them discerningly and metacognitively as things to sweep into our self-concepts or reject...Something happens when children spend so much time apart from adult company. They start to generate a culture with independent values and priorities... Absent established hierarchies and power structures (apart from the privileges that naturally accrue from being an upperclassman), kids create them on their own, and what determines those hierarchies is often the crudest common-­denominator stuff—looks, nice clothes, prowess in sports—­rather than the subtleties of personality...At the time they experience the most social fear, they have the least control; at the time they're most sensitive to the impressions of others, they're plunked into an environment where it's treacherously easy to be labeled and stuck on a shelf."

SO fascinating to me.
Posted: 07 Apr 2013 08:10 PM PDT
"Also, you may be thinking, "Won't people think I'm weird and ignore me?" Maybe—but you'd be surprised how starved people are for genuine conversation. Not once in my efforts did anyone totally blow me off. Not once. Some people were obviously not in the mood to talk, so I just let it go after my initial question. But most of the time, people were thrilled to be asked something about themselves, their day, their lives. And most were happy to share this brief moment of social connection with me."

On Dealing with Conflict:
Posted: 07 Apr 2013 08:05 PM PDT
GREAT tips for conflict resolution.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Mallory Pickering said...

I haven't read all these yet. But LOL @ the one about talking to strangers. I mean, don't we already do that? In the South, for sure. :)