Thursday, April 18, 2013

Weekly Smorgasbord

Not a ton on the list, but it's all SO good this week. I could probably say that every week, but I don't. So take note!



On Faith:
Posted: 17 Apr 2013 10:55 PM PDT
"I don't think that God always tells the person with OCD that he doesn't need to wash his hands five times. I think He makes sure he always has soap."

This brought tears. Oh, how many times He has made sure I had soap.

Posted: 13 Apr 2013 07:28 PM PDT
"Depending on how you view alcoholism, Brennan was either the victim of a terrible disease, or he was just a lush. In any case he made a long habit of lying (at least through omission) about his condition...Brennan Manning taught me the Gospel. If I have ever shared the love of Jesus with you, you can be sure that Brennan was partly to blame. If I have ever pointed anyone to kindness, forgiveness, or hope, you can be sure that Brennan's words helped to form my message. Though I only met him twice, he was one of my most important mentors in the faith. Now he joins most of those mentors in glory."

On Family:
Posted: 12 Apr 2013 01:12 PM PDT
"The thing is: Real Manhood means you hallow womanhood. A woman isn't a toy to amuse your lusts, a thing to aggrandize your ego, a trophy to adorn your manhood. A woman is of your rib, who birthed your rib, who cupped your rib, who is meant to be gently cherished at your rib, at your side....The culture of boys will be boys — means girls will be garbage and you were made for more than this, Son. Your Dad and I believe boys will be godly and boys will be honoring and boys will be humble.."

On Friendship:
Posted: 08 Apr 2013 08:13 PM PDT
"But how good does it feel when you just, you know, don't? How good is it when friends visit and you don't lift a finger? I say when your visitors don't command a freshly-scrubbed toilet, they are your Cave Brothers and Sisters. They know you for what you are and they don't judge you, because they have hairballs on their bathroom floors and piles of dirty shoes at their front doors, and they think that's perfectly fine."
On Mental Health:
Posted: 08 Apr 2013 08:18 PM PDT
"We're the people who say: there's no shame saying that your heart and head are broken because there's a Doctor in the house. It's the wisest and the bravest who cry for help when lost...There's no stigma in saying you're sick because there's a wounded Healer who uses nails to buy freedom and crosses to resurrect hope and medicine to make miracles...There's no guilt in mental illness because depression is a kind of cancer that attacks the mind. You don't shame cancer, you treat cancer...Shame is a bully and Grace is a shield. You are safe here."
Posted: 08 Apr 2013 08:16 PM PDT
"I think this is an awful but real human impulse — we want to find a way to exclude the possibility that something bad could befall our children. I will admit here that I'm not immune to this impulse. When something horrific happens to another child, I find myself quickly cataloging the details, trying to find something that would make the tragedy exceptional . . . some slip-up that the grieving parent made along the way that would comfort me from a concern that it could happen to me. I've done it when I've heard about infant death . . . I've scrambled to figure out if the parent was doing something wrong. Was there some rule they failed to follow that would assuage my anxiety about my own child's mortality? I found myself doing this as I watched the Sandusky trial as well — quickly casting aspersions on parents of the victims for their lack of discernment. "
On Sexuality:
Posted: 14 Apr 2013 10:43 PM PDT
This was really fascinating and I want to read this book so badly (by Wesley Hill, a gay Christian committed to a life of celibacy).

On Finding Refreshment:
Posted: 12 Apr 2013 12:47 PM PDT
Great tips!

On Topics of Sociological Interest:
Posted: 08 Apr 2013 07:15 PM PDT
This was so interesting.. Peyton is so bad about (or good at?) this.

On Topics of Great Hilarity:
Posted: 08 Apr 2013 08:15 PM PDT
Hysterical. I used to do this about the weekly family picture. Now Peyton sets it to ten and "you get what you get and you don't throw a fit".
Enjoy and let me know what spoke to you!

No comments: