Thursday, May 2, 2013

Oh, the Places WE'LL Go! (Happiest of Days to the Best Companion for the Ride)


Awhile back I was reading to Annie and found this. Peyton wrote this note on the inside cover of Oh, the Places You'll Go! when he gave it to me for my high school graduation. That was nine years ago this month. We had just started dating. It's a bit surreal because a part of me never would have seen us where we are today, but another part of me kind of knew even then that I'd read it to our children one day. It was weird because while I know part of me thought "I can very seriously imagine reading this children's book to the children I have with Peyton one day" another part of me was still at the point in the relationship where my breath caught when I read the part about being in disbelief. Because to be honest, it was really, really hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that my best friend was now my boyfriend. He was several years older and a senior in college(!!!) and I had just never thought we'd be where we were. But at the same time, we were falling in love...fast. Honestly, I stayed at that disbelieving stage for awhile...like probably a year. I'm a very sensory person and I can still recall those feelings so well.

Well, fast forward nine years. He has been here helping me through every step of my journey- going to college, hating college, loving college, dealing with anxiety and all that it has entailed, loosing my grandmother, acquiring and loosing my first real job, processing the very real fears of an unexpected pregnancy, welcoming our first child and growing a lot as people, learning what it means to be wife and mother and then learning what it means to do those jobs well, welcoming our second baby and learning his ways, leaning in to our various callings and current stations in life, discerning the Lord's will, facing each new day with hope and love, and attempting to never lose sight of that ultimate goal.

Doors are closing. Seasons are ending. We're getting ready to close the book on this chapter of our lives here in Mississippi in the not too distant future now. Just for awhile of course, but it's still a lot to process. They're hard steps to take, but they're steps I'll take with him and that gives me great confidence. My journey through life is largely our journey through life and there's security in that.

Well, darlin’ if you’re weary
Lay your head upon my chest
We’ll take what we can carry
Yeah, and we’ll leave the rest...
Well, I will provide for you
And I’ll stand by your side
You’ll need a good companion now
For this part of the ride
- Bruce

Happiest of birthdays to the most smokin' Buddy Holly glasses wearin'-Economist readin'-Libertarian votin'-not much longer suburban dwellin' cat I know. This day and every day it's an honor to call myself his wife and a priviledge to be his partner for the journey. 


{Ten years ago this Summer. I was needy and emotional and had just been dumped. I knew this guy from work and in an awkward fashion we just started swaying a bit to the Better than Ezra notes filling the air at the concert that my friends had dragged me to. Less than a month later I was sharing my deepest fears and biggest dreams with this older dude from work and calling him my best friend. Less than a year later I was calling him my boyfriend and fighting the urge to say "I love you" too early like I had done, regrettably, too many times. Within the next five years I'd call him my husband and within the five after that I'd call him the best father I've ever laid eyes on. (I'd call him that twice). I can't wait to see what the next month and the next year and the next five years and the five after that have for us. It's been such a beautiful journey together.}

2 comments:

Mallory Pickering said...

Love this!

Amy said...

such a beautiful post, SD. it's always amazing to look back and see how God was in the details and orchestrating His perfect plan, even when we're unaware that He's at work.