Wednesday, May 1, 2013

What I'm Into: April


On the Nightstand:
I've been reading some good stuff this month. Powerful stuff, really.

Reflections for Ragamuffins: Daily Devotions by Brennan Manning
My heart hurts a little every time I pick this up, as the world lost this great writer recently. It ministers to me daily, though.


Immersion Bible Studies: Acts  by Craig S. Keener
We finished up this series in Sunday school and though the class decided to do something else, Peyton and I are seriously considering continuing with these on our own. Not to be to trite, but I really do feel more "immersed" in Scripture than I have in awhile. 
No More Perfect Moms: Learn to Love Your Real Life by Jill Savage
I really shouldn't have called this a "parenting" book because it's not about a formula, or a strategy, or even a "how to". It's not a manual. It's more just an enencouragement and I'm letting myself feel these words deep. 

In the past year I've really grown in my understanding of the Holy Spirit and I think this book continues to work on me in that area. I also think it's fun that Jim Cymbala is a dynamic pastor in guess where...NYC! We obviously put Brooklyn Tab on the list to visit when we live in the city
 
On the Shelf:
There is so much I really want to read/need to tackle. I have a ton of stuff on my Amazon wishlist, but there's a whole shelf (literally) of books I want to read soon. I think next up are going to be these two:

1000 Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are by Ann Voskamp
Yes I'm late to this party. I bought it when it came out and other things just kept coming up and really I didn't read near enough until this year and it's still a struggle. I absolutely adore Ann's blog, though, and I really think I'd gain alot from this.

The God of Intimacy and Action: Reconnecting Ancient Spiritual Practices, Evangelism and Jusitce by Tony Campolo
This is another one that I've been meaning to read forever. I saw Tony speak awhile back and really any time I read something by him I'm moved. The title just intrigues me and I'm excited for it.

At the Theater (or from the couch):
Again, not a single thing. Maybe we'll see a movie this month? Probably not.

On the Small Screen:
Once again, things got busy and I didn't watch much. A few episodes of The West Wing here and there and some news was about it.

In My Ears:
My April playlist, of course. This month's theme was a combination of a tribute to The Boss (who we saw in concert this time last year) and my babies whose birthdays both fall in April. Nostalgic and emotional, for sure. 
  
Around the House:
I put up my Easter decorations and busted out the Summer. It just felt right. 

In the Kitchen:
Winter Soup Challenge has officially ended and we've moved onto Summer Salad Challenge. This Summer Spaghetti was my first attempt. It wasn't bad at all, but it's a little zesty for me. I think I'll have others I like better. Of course, I had to indulge in some lemonade, too!


I do have to share that Winter Soup Challenge culminated with this amazing cheesy goodness. It's the stuff of legends and I was beyond excited to find the recipe on a friend's blog. Seriously it's famously easy (like, even for me) and famously good (it's a classic from an old restaurant here in Jackson that went out of business several years back. It's the kind of thing where everyone I know has childhood memories from this place).
In My Closet:
We've had a lot or rainy days and I've loved pulling out the vintage feeling t-shirts complete with the banded arms. So soft and comfy!
But there's also already been some rather sticky, steamy days. I haven't pulled out my Summer clothes in earnest yet, but I've got a few go-to items. Number one on the list is this number:



 Nothing like a good shirt dress. I wore it with some of my favorite Tory Burch- got on major sale- flats to a super casual dinner party.

And then I wore it later to Granny's with my red Toms. I love how changing up shoes and accessories can help one dress serve a variety of occasions.

Clearly, these have been my go-to kicks this month.


In My Mailbox:
Not a whole lot.

In My Cart:
Um, well let's see....
{!!!!!!!!!!}

It won't be final until the end of this week, but uh, y'all....we're actually going to pay off our house. This has been a goal of mine and Peyton's for all of our marriage and it feels so good to finally achieve it. I want to be very humble about this, but it's not been without sacrifice and I'm just so thankful for God's provision in this area.

On My Heart:
SO much. I've been thinking about New York and the impending move, about the small group at church that a friend and I are starting and about my sweet babies being another year older.

In My Prayers:
- Again, I'm praying specifically for this small group- that it will be a place of encouragement for moms and also a place where we can share our struggles as well as our triumphs openly and without fear.
- I'm praying that the I will operate with a spirit of trust, not a spirit of fear...in so many areas. 
- I'm praying daily for a few people who I know are suffering or who have lost someone dear to them. 

On the Calendar: 
Mine and Peyton's birthdays are both in May, so we'll probably go out and enjoy a nice dinner. This group I keep talking about is starting and I'm planning to readjust/reevaluate our homeschool routines since AP won't have her two day a week supplemental program in the Summer. 

I'm linking up with Leigh, of course. I'd LOVE it if you'd join me!

What I'm Into site

2 comments:

Adele said...

A few episodes of The West Wing here and there is better than 10 other TV shows! ;)
Absolutely agree, the loss of Brennan Manning is an immense one.

HopefulLeigh said...

I read 1000 Gifts when it came out and it spoke so powerfully to me. I hope you enjoy it! I'm pinning the Summer Spaghetti Salad recipe. Sounds delicious! I'm a bit jealous of your Tory Burch flats. I'm such a fan of her work.

Thanks for linking up with What I'm Into!