Friday, May 31, 2013

What I'm Into: May



On the Nightstand:
Good reading going on this month...

Reflections for Ragamuffins: Daily Devotions by Brennan Manning 
So many good words. So many. 

No More Perfect Moms: Learn to Love Your Real Life by Jill SavageThis one has been really good. It's very authentic and I'm one who really values transparency. It's given us a lot of good stuff to talk about in our groups- how we can avoid insecurity and judgement and playing the comparison game, that kind of thing. I thought it might be sort of trite and "fluffy", but so far it's been great.

I need to finish this one up. I sort of took a break when we started No More Perfect Moms, but it's a good read and I'm excited to get more into it.  


Twelve Ordinary Men by John MacArthur and The Thirteen Apostles by J. Ellsworth Kalas
Our Sunday school class is doing a study on the disciples and using these two book. I'm just now starting both. In the interest of full disclosure, Peyton and I both kind of pushed back against the MacArthur book because he has some opinions that I disagree with pretty strongly. That said, I don't know that there'll be much of that in this paticular book, and I'd hate for it to be said of me that I can't learn from someone who I disagree with. Kalas is less known but he was the writer of the Christian Believer series we did awhile back which we LOVED (sidenote: I would really like to one day finish out those posts. Probably when the kids are in high school. That or never.). 


Daddies
I've been reading more to Annie since we're less busy and this is a current favorite. I sort of love that it's original copyright is circa 1950 and it's a Little Golden Book. Okay, I really love those things. [For what it's worth, I've started being more intentional with the discussion about how daddies can and do stay at home all day and things along those lines. Because I think that's a good one to have.]


On the Shelf:
I'm leaving the two from last month because I didn't get to them and adding one more to the list. 

1000 Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are by Ann Voskamp
Yes I'm late to this party. I bought it when it came out and other things just kept coming up and really I didn't read near enough until this year and it's still a struggle. I absolutely adore Ann's blog, though, and I really think I'd gain alot from this. 

The God of Intimacy and Action: Reconnecting Ancient Spiritual Practices, Evangelism and Jusitce by Tony Campolo
This is another one that I've been meaning to read forever. I saw Tony speak awhile back and really any time I read something by him I'm moved. The title just intrigues me and I'm excited for it. 

Many Ways to Say I Love You: Wisdom for Parents and Children from Mister Rodgers by Fred Rogers
If this seems dorky and cliche, I'm with you. But what I've read (a few pages) is actually really good. My mom got it and loved it and passed it on and I'm looking forward to it. 


At the Theater (or from the couch):
We talked about seeing The Great Gatsby, but didn't. We'll probably get it on Netflix, though. We did watch the documentary Bully (I actually still need to finish the last little bit of it). It was so incredibly sad, but I felt, really important. There is SO much we can be doing better to prevent school bullying, in my opinion. 

On the Small Screen:
More of The West Wing. I'm moving through it pretty slowly. 

In My Ears:
May Playlist. SO awesome. 
   
Around the House:
Since it's really Summer now(!!!), I took the heavy comforter off Ann Peyton's bed and put this old quilt on it. I love, love, love the pinwheels. It was actually in my room when I was young and it's so soft and feels so good. I think she's enjoying it. It's got a few worn places, but I think it adds to it's charm. It feels very cottage like to me, which is definitely my style. 

In the Kitchen:
Summer Salad Challenge is in full force. But I'm clinging to my old favorites, really. These are three of my all time favorite salads:
[Left to right, top to bottom: super simple egg salad via Jo-Lynne, Waldorf salad via Minnie, and this great green salad I just adore (romaine, cherry tomatoes, half an avocado and blue cheese dressing with real bacon and crumbled Feta on top). They are all so good.]

I also made one of my all time favorite desserts and I really need to make it again:
[Layer store bought angel food cake, vanilla pudding, fresh strawberries, and Cool Whip. YUM. And so incredibly easy.]

But when I'm too lazy for even that, THIS:

In My Closet:
It's officially Summer, so I broke out my favorite Summer dress....
I love the polka dots. I love the retro feel. I love how comfy it is. I love everything about it. 

And I'm adding a new feature...

In Their Closets:
I've talked AP into embracing the bubble/romper in this, her fifth Summer of life. I know it could well be our last and I'm not taking a second of her tiny bubble-clad self for granted. This is probably the "sweetest" and most baby one. I think it's perfect for a little girl, though.



And then there's this. I'd post a picture, but I don't do nake/semi-nake toddler pictures on the Internet. Just take my word for it, seeing my sweet boy in tiny little super hero underwear nearly killed me. I'm not sure there's a jonjon on the planet that compares. 

In My Mailbox:
I ordered some new homeschool materials for Annie recently. I got her several new critical thinking skills books. At this point, that's her absolute favorite part of school. She LOVES these BrainQuest cards my mom got her and I found some for Graves's age, so I ordered those, too. 

In My Cart:
Hmmm....more of the same. A friend told me about this great curriculum and I researched it and ended up ordering it. It's called Five in a Row and the basic idea is that you read the same story book for five days in a row and each day focus on a different aspect(s). It incorporates science, social studies, math, literacy skills, art, and cultural awareness. It's very discussion oriented and isn't too fact based. Also, it isn't about huge time consuming projects. I feel like it will be a good fit and I'm going to blog more about it once we get our feet wet a little more. 

[The makers provide the option of ordering the books in a bundle or you can just get the curriculum and locate the books yourself. Our local library was missing a few titles and since the books are classics and Caldecott winners and in general just good pieces of literature, I thought we'd go ahead and get them. I did debate it because I'm trying to minimize and that's a lot of books. I'm sure we'll enjoy having them and in my opinion if there's ever a place to splurge it's on good literature.]


On My Heart:
I've really been dwelling on how blessed I am by the relationships God has provided. His provision is so evident because he's provided different (very different) people to encourage me and walk alongside me in different spheres of my life. I spent some time hanging out and on the phone with two of my favorites yesterday and Peyton was off today and that's been wonderful. I could not be more grateful.

In My Prayers:
- As always, I'm praying specifically for our mom's small group- that it will be a place of encouragement for moms and also a place where we can share our struggles as well as our triumphs openly and without fear. 
- I'm praying for a sweet friend who just welcomed a new baby. 
- I'm praying for another friend who longs so deeply for that. 

On the Calendar: 
June is a bit busy. Peyton has a trip, we're hosting our church supper group at our house, and the pool is open. I'm excited about it all (well, maybe not the trip).   

I'm linking up with Leigh, of course. I'd LOVE it if you'd join me!


What I'm Into at HopefulLeigh

3 comments:

Hippie Housewife said...

Those critical thinking books look great! I'll have to check into those for my little guys. :)

carameredith.com said...

I think Mr. Rogers is one of the most wisdom-filled men ever!

HopefulLeigh said...

I forgot about the documentary Bully. I haven't watched it yet but think it's an important one to see. Your green salad sounds like a winning combination! I can never get enough avocado.

Thanks for linking up with What I'm Into!