Monday, June 24, 2013

Weekly Happenings Post #221 (June 17-23)-- The Return of a Papa

[AP was in some crazy dress up outfit from Minnie, I look rough with the slicked back pony, and Graves insisted on HOLDING THE CAT.]

Well, last week was fun. Peyton was still at his convention the first half of the week. [Sidenote: Guess who's married to the MPhA 2013 Distinguished Young Pharmacist of Year? THIS GIRL. So proud of my hard working husband.] Anyway, we made it and it was so nice when he got back home. I was telling that to Mrs. Barbara at the CPC this morning and she said "I bet! He's such an involved dad. That would be an understatement! Anyway, enough gushing about precious Peyton. It was also a good productive week. I finished my closet changeover (probably faster than I ever have) and cleaned the house really well since we had a little (casual) dinner party here on Saturday. This was also the first week for our new senior pastor and new associate pastor at our church. I think it's going to be a great fit!

Whew! The kids were so good to me on Monday. Graves woke up at eight but stayed in bed almost an hour. We got a slow start and then I got my bath by ten. I renewed library books online, checked my email, and did a few other things and then Annie and I did her memory work and calendar time. We ran to Target to make a return and to the grocery store for a few things. The kids ate lunch and I put Graves down and read our book for the week, A Pair of Red Clogs.
[She learned a bit about Japanese culture.]

I got on Twitter and wrote a post and then worked on my closet change-over (I did all my shoes and bathing suits). The kids got up and we headed to my parents'. They got home from Nashville that afternoon and were sweet enough to have us over for tuna croquettes. I bathed the kids over there and put them to bed when we got home. I worked on my closet a little more (I put up my scarves and hats and leggings in boxes and hung up my shorts) and got on the computer and read blogs and then went to bed.

Tuesday was a fun day. It was good to keep busy so I didn't miss Peyton too much. We got up and hustled a bit- I got my bath and picked up a few piles and then Elizabeth and her two kids came over. We had a great visit and they stayed through lunch. They helped clean up and the kids and I finished. AP and I read and did her calendar and memory work and then I got her settled. I got on the computer for a bit and then worked on my closet (I hung up Summer skirts and church dresses and boxed Winter church dresses). My friend Catherine also dropped by to return some baby stuff she had borrowed. We all got ready and met Carrie and her kids at CFA since David had a meeting that night.
This guy is a MESS. [Yes, I took this in the bathroom. Yes, he brought the cookie in the bathroom. You win some, you loose some.]

We had a great time and stayed for a good while. We got home and I changed Graves's sheets did quick bedtimes and then I boxed my casual Winter dresses, long sleee solid t-shirts and Winter socks and got on the computer. I wrote a post and got on Twitter and then went to bed.
Our NYC friends!!! (Look, we have several mutual friends, have had a couple if Facebook interactions, and have talked on the phone exactly once. But I'm pretty liberal with my platonic relationship descriptors. Especially in situations where I'm terrified.)

We all got up late on Wednesday and that was nice. I got a bath and started laundry and then did Annie's memory work with her. I dropped them off at my mom's so I could go get the supplies for my sewing class. When I got back, we had a snack and came home.
He looks SO big to me!

I put Graves down and read with Annie and then I got on the computer after I started cooking some chicken. When the chicken finished I made a poppyseed chicken casserole and uploaded pictures to Flikr. The kids got up and we all got ready and left early for church so we could deliver the casserole to our new pastor (our Sunday School class was providing dinner for his family that night). I caught the tail end of a VBS meeting and then went to our mom's group. Whew! We got home and I helped AP pick up her room and then I got the kids down. I got on the computer until Peyton got home. We visited (it was SO nice to see him!) and I worked on changing over the stuff in my dresser (shorts and pajamas mostly) and then we went to bed after I cut out a pattern for my sewing class the next day.

I got up and got ready for my class on Thursday. I had a fun time at it and the bubble I made ended up turning out great. I was SO proud of myself- this skill does not come easy for me, but I really want to learn. Honestly, especially since it was Peyton's first day back, I really didn't want to go. But I'm so glad I did! Anyway, he met me there with the kids after it was over so he could get to work. We ran by home to get shoes (they didn't have any on) and then made a quick Target run to get a storage box. When we got home, I started laundry and dishes and as I was doing that Graves made a huge mess in the fireplace. UGH.
Did I mention he's a bit of a mess? 

I bathed him and then fed the kids lunch. I took out the recycling and trash, picked up toys, and vacuumed their room. After I got him down, I vacuumed in the den and cleaned up the mess and then vacuumed the bottom bookshelf and inside the little baskets that are in it. I usually try to do one "extra" thing like that when I vacuum and boy, they need it! After that, I straightened a few more piles and finished putting the snaps and buttons on Graves's bubble. I got on the computer and got on Twitter and then the kids got up. I found cat poop in the dryer (washed and dried), so I put my clean clothes in the dryer and re-washed the dried ones. My friend Amanda came by to drop something off for church and we visited a little while the kids played. When she left I vacuumed and mopped in the kitchen, sunroom and laundry room. I folded laundry and played with the kids and then we picked up toys and they had supper. I put Graves to bed and gave Annie a bath. While she was in the tub, I did my last box for my closet changeover (pajamas) and folded some laundry. I got them to bed and then I cooked myself some pasta and boiled some eggs.
Annie wanted a princess book, so of course as I'm leaving the room after getting her one I hear "pri-es ook". I told him he couldn't have any of AP's in his bed because he might tear them up. Sweet problem-solver in the twin bed says "He could have a rubber book". It's not rubber, but it's a pretty sturdy (and also relatively unimportant) bath book. Those two....

I got on the computer put pictures on Facebook and Flikr until Peyton got home and then we visited and I peeled the eggs. I wrote a blog post and went to bed.

Peyton worked in McComb on Friday and AP joined me in bed at 9:00 and we all really got up at 9:30. We snuggled and I texted with Ellis and then I had my bath.
Night owls ain't morning people. Glad he got the memo.

Starting the day with still sleepy babes in my lap and sappy best friend texts-- Summer doesn't get better than this, as far as I'm concerned. Being loved by these people is everything.

They watch their morning 'toons very differently ;)

We all ate breakfast and I started dishes and laundry. Annie did her memory work (we actually just did it while she played and she did well) and then I folded more laundry and fixed the kids lunch.
The scenario: Annie is "momma", Graves is "Papa", Graves is holding "Annie", and Annie is holding "Graves". They're on a plane going to New York (see the ticket). I asked Annie what they were going to do there. She said "stay for five weeks". Sounds perfect, yeah? Kidding. Kinda. 

AP and I read and I got her settled. I ate my lunch and got on the computer. I took a short nap and Peyton got home and we all cleaned up and got ready to go to Mickey and Minnie's. We had a good time but got home SO late. My mom had gotten out a tea set for Annie and Graves nearly broke it a hundred times and my dad had mentioned something to Peyton that bothered me and I was just a little frazzled. We got home and started marinating a brisket for dinner the next night and I took a ton of stuff to the attic and organized it. I got on the computer for just a bit and then went to bed.

We got up a little after eight on Saturday and chatted while the kids played. Peyton helped me get the big boxes to the attic and then he started the brisket and ran to the grocery store and I organized some stuff in the study and the kids ate breakfast. We were having our Suppers of Eight group to our house that night and I wanted to get a lot done. Some of it was stuff (like the study) that they wouldn't even notice, but it seemed like a good day to knock it all out. I organized some books in the closet and worked through several piles. Peyton got home and I unloaded groceries, unloaded and loaded dishes and cleaned out the fridge while he worked in the yard. I talked to my mom on the phone and went through piles all around the house. It was about noon at that point.

I fixed the kids lunch and started cleaning bathrooms. I put Graves down after bathing him and sent AP outside with Peyton and finished the bathrooms and picked up toys. I cleaned up the lunch dishes and started the dishwasher and then ate my lunch. I made a strawberry dessert and then vacuumed the study and our room. I dusted in the den and polished the wood floors and put up stuff in the kids' room and then FINALLY took my bath. Peyton got ready and took the kids to his parents' house and I did one last sweep of the house, got dressed and got out the dishes and napkins. I started cooking some broccoli and Peyton got home and right after our guests arrived. We had such a nice time and it was a great evening of fellowship. It was also fun to be kid-free and to use a few "fancy" things.

We went together to get the kids and visited with Peyton's parents for awhile. When we got home, we put Bud right to bed and Peyton bathed AP and I cleaned up the kitchen.
We used our "intermediate" china for the first time (in five years we still haven't used our fine china). SO much fun!

I got on the computer for a bit and then went to sleep.

Peyton was planning on getting up early to go to Men's Club on Sunday, but not only did we miss that, we were going to be super late for Sunday school. We decided to just go to the late service, which worked out well because the kids were really tired. It was an AWESOME first service with our two new pastors, Mitchell and Owen, and I could tell the transition was going to be a good thing. We came home and ate leftover brisket and put Graves down. I got on the computer for a bit and AP ended up watching a movie with Peyton and then we both took naps. When the kids got up we all headed over to my parents' to give my dad his (late) Father's Day present. We ended up staying and eating spaghetti. We put the kids to bed when we got home and I uploaded pictures and talked to Peyton about the week and then went to bed.

I think this week is going to be pretty low key. I have some goals, but nothing huge. And Graves and I are both getting (desperately needed) haircuts.

No comments: