Friday, July 19, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Belong

I have a hard time feeling like I'll fit in when we move to New York. Like we'll fit in. I took a video of Ann Peyton today and her accent is mind blowing. I say this as someone with a very, very strong Southern drawl. I asked Peyton what people will think. It really doesn't matter much, of course. She's four and if people look at her crazy, they're the ones with the problem.

But I worry about more than just that. We're going to be starting from scratch, relationship wise. It'll be just the four of us and the big world, uh, city. I've never done that before. It's all so unknown.

And it's hard making friends as a grown up. It's hard being vulnerable. Even with some of my closest friends I feel like I'm "different" sometimes. I've felt that all of my life and at times, really struggled with it. But I've come to the point where it's okay. I know it. They know it. We call it "quirky" and we call it a day.

But what if nobody in the city does that?

The thing is- I know I'll belong somewhere in New York. I'll belong with my people- my little guy and little girl and the precious man whose dream this whole thing is. I'll still belong in the hearts of a lot of wonderful souls here. And ultimately, I'll belong in the arms of the One who created the dirt of the Deep South as well as the dirt of the New York islands and who placed every star that shines on the both of them. I'll belong because I belong to Him.

And to them.

Five Minute Friday

5 comments:

Richelle @ Our Wright-ing Pad said...

such beautiful and comforting words to cling to as you move through this transition.

may you sense His Presence as clearly in your new home as you've felt Him in your comfortable place.

God's richest blessings on you and your family.

Heather McCool said...

That was beautiful! And my husband and I also have dreams of moving to another state and the only draw back I can realy think of is culture shock and then regrowing roots. Maybe God will use this as a time to really grow your foundation as a family unit so that when you have more people around later you wont lose the belonging... It was such a fun word to write on wasn't it?

Ceil said...

What a wonderful, honest take on 'belonging'. I hope your transition goes well, and that your 'accent' is well respected in your new place!

There is someone out there who is dying to belong to you, and you will be great friends, I know it. It's the waiting that's the killer!!

Happy Friday,
Ceil

Mallory Pickering said...

Betting you find a few good friends that love ALL of SD in NYC.

Denise said...

such nice thoughts.