Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Weekly Happenings Post #225 (July 15-21)-- Bugs and Bible School

Whoa. For some reason, last Monday seems like ages ago. It was a pretty busy week, but a good one. Thankfully, Graves did MUCH better with his bed and it seems like we've sort of gotten back into the swing of things. I thought I'd do better and not have as many sleeping pictures, but this post is still full of them. Ha! We had VBS at the start of the week (I helped my friend Lori, who taught the third grade class) and then ended the week with a (thankfully very mild) stomach virus. Our children's program directors decided, for a variety of reasons, to do two long days (8:00-2:00) with a Sunday night kick off rather than the traditional few hours in the morning or couple of hours at night for five days that we've done in years past. I think it worked out well, but those two days sure were tiring! 

Family picture outtake. I don't even know what to say about these people.

Monday was pretty busy. I got up and got ready and got the kids ready and they headed off with Peyton to VBS. I had a meeting at AP's school and since I'm the primary homeschool person, Peyton offered to do my job at VBS (I was the third grade "assistant"). I had a bit of time after they left so I made beds and started laundry.

The meeting went well and I think I learned a lot. After that, I met Peyton at church and took over. We had a really good group of kids, but it was still exhausting. Graves fell asleep in the car on the way home and I transferred him, but then I realized the kitchen was petty soaked with water and we had a leaky pipe. I called Peyton and turned off the water and cleaned it up. I got on the computer for a bit and wrote Graves's letter and had a snack. The kids got up and I folded laundry and cleaned off all the stuff that had gotten wet under the sink. I unpacked our VBS stuff and organized and straightened some piles. We picked up toys and the kids ate supper and I did dishes (I rinsed them in the bathroom). I bathed them and did their night time routines and put them to bed.
First time in a week I've done nap time and bedtime alone without (my own) tears. Also: AP is wearing a pillowcase sleeping bag style. It was that kind of party.

I got on the computer and then visited with Peyton when he got home.

Tuesday was another busy day. We got up and got ready for VBS and Peyton helped me pack Graves a lunch. It was a great day, but a LONG one. I was worn out when we got home. I put the kids down (Graves fell asleep in the car again) and started laundry and got on the computer. I made some pasta salad for our Ultreya meeting that night, packed the kids some supper and started grating soap for detergent. I got the kids and myself ready and we left for the meeting. When we got home, we did quick routines and I put the kids to bed.
Any doubts I was having about room sharing last week disappeared when I saw this. 

 I read blogs and finished my WH post and then Peyton got home and we visited.

We all got up around 8:00 on Wednesday and just had a slow morning. I took a bath and ate breakfast and then made a to-do list. Peyton mowed the yard and I started laundry and dishes. Peyton left for work and the kids ate lunch and we picked up toys and then it was rest time. Graves didn't nap, but he stayed in his room and didn't fuss much. I got on Twitter and wrote a post and then I ate my lunch and read some for our Mom's group that night.

When the kids got up, I packed everything up and made them suppers to go again and then folded some laundry while they played. We cleaned up and got ready to go. The group went REALLY late and Graves fell asleep on the way home. I read a bit to Annie and put her right to bed.
Annie: "I got hot when you were talking to those ladies at church. So I wiped my sweat off with Bump's handkerchief." All I really want to do right now is sob into it. My grandmother was one of my most favorite people ever and sometimes it just nearly kills me she didn't get to meet two of my other main favorites.

Also: I've clearly been over doing it with the sleeping pics lately, but she fell asleep with her purse still on. Her purse with a pig in it. (And yes she's wearing a too small dress over her pajama top. But that's not unusual.)

I read some blogs and then started a new book. Peyton and I talked when he got home and went to bed.

Thursday was nice. Peyton let me sleep late and it was just a really chill morning. I did my usual dishes and laundry and played with the kids and visited with Peyton. He left and they had lunch and then I read them a book. I got Graves settled and read AP one. Graves actually went to sleep and Annie played really well.
Our days and nights have been so much better this week. I think he's going to be a some days napper and some days non-napper. But he's (relatively happily) gated in and has spend 2ish hours in his room every day since Monday. Which is perfect.

 I ate my lunch and spent most of naptime investigating apartments/neighborhoods in NYC.
Peyton had talked to a supervisor in NY and took some hodgepodge notes. Just when I think I have a bit of a grasp on things, we get a ton of new information to process!

When the kids got up, we cleaned up their room and then colored. I was SO shocked by how long Graves was entertained by it and then they even moved on to Play Dough. I worked on some little letter cards I was making for AP and then made a marinade for some chicken. I started laundry and unloaded and loaded dishes. They ate supper and I folded some more laundry. I bathed Graves and did his nightly routine and put him to bed and then bathed AP and did her routine and got her settled.

 When Peyton got home, he grilled the chicken and we ate and went to bed.

We had another good day on Friday. We had our little individual curriculum counseling meeting at Annie's school. I always look so forward to that because it's so much fun to discuss her strengths and weaknesses and try to figure out how we can help her reach her full potential. I'll blog more about it later, but it was a great meeting. We got ready, dropped Bud off with Mickey (my mom was supposed to watch him, but she was on a little day trip and Mickey was happy, um ecstatic, to oblige). Anyway, after the meeting we ran by Target and then came home and had lunch. I ran to the library to return some books and sort out some fines and then came home. The kids and I played and read and then Peyton left for a meeting at church and to go hiking with his brother. I started laundry and dishes and we picked up and then the kids rested.
At some point, I'll average more awake pictures than asleep ones...

 I ate my lunch and got on the computer and took a short nap. When they got up, we picked up their room and headed over to my parents'.
Quote of the day from my best friend growing up who spent more than his share of evenings at my parents' house....SD: "The older I get, the more like my dad I get. I just need some time totally alone every day." El: "You mean the more you need hard liquor and Fox News everyday?". Well played, Sir, well played.

Minnie made Bud 'saur claws with lotion. 

We had a great visit and both the kids fell asleep on the way home. I read blogs and played on Facebook. Peyton got home from his hike super late.

Saturday started out great. Peyton got up with the kids and I slept late and then we all got ready for Jude's birthday party. We had such a fun time celebrating with the Howies. I'm sort of sad I didn't take any pictures. But they had a big water slide set up the backyard and the kids had fun. Annie was a little tentative about the slide, which I totally expected, but Graves was VERY unsure, too, and that surprised me. He was actually pretty clingy and had weirdly fallen asleep in the car on the way to the party at like ten thirty in the morning. I still didn't think much of it, though. Anyway, we came home after the party and got the kids settled. Well, Graves fell back asleep (much to my surprise), but when I went in to check on him I realized I had forgotten to put a diaper on him and he had had a very "sick" tummy. I couldn't leave him like that, so we woke him up and changed him. He fussed a little and slept a little more and then played quietly for a bit. We had a super low key afternoon and then I ran to Hobby Lobby and took the coffee table to my parents and went to the grocery store. I got home and helped Peyton get the kids to bed and then we ordered out sushi. I cleaned up around the house and Peyton went to get the sushi. We had a good time visiting and he fell asleep super early.
One of my best friends says that ours is a family of very "nomadic" sleepers. I have no idea what she means by that ;)

Since Graves had been sick, I stayed home with the kids and Peyton went to church. Sweet Bud got up at 6:50. YUCK. He was pretty snuggly, though, and we just rested/played until Annie got up...a couple of hours later :) I took my bath and we had breakfast and Peyton got home. There was a Sunday school party and we had to bring drinks, so he got ready for it and we talked a little.
EnviroSweetie always volunteers to bring the plates to the Sunday school parties. I guess if you're going to have an excess of Melamine anyway....

He left and I started dishes and laundry and we picked up toys. Graves fell asleep fast for his nap and AP and I read a library book. I ate my lunch and got on the computer and then read some. Peyton came home and I took a nap. I went to the evening service and Peyton and the kids hung out at home. He cleaned out the fridge while I was gone (I mean like washed it out- something had spilled awhile back and it was gross). When I got home, I helped the kids pick up toys (it was a mess!) and then we got them to bed. I cleaned out my car and vacuumed it and vacuumed in the kitchen some. I unloaded and loaded dishes and then Peyton and I talked. I got on the computer and then went to bed.

This week started out weird- Peyton got Graves's little bug. Thankfully, it was pretty minor. He usually has to go to the ER when he gets sick. By tonight, he was feeling much better. I'm so glad, because he has a big "inventory" day at work tomorrow. We have quite a few things this week, but Peyton has some days off. I think it'll be a fun, but busy one!

No comments: