Thursday, July 11, 2013

Weekly Smorgasbord

Well, I have way less than usual in the links department this week. I'm not sure- I guess I just haven't been reading as much online. I've gotten settled into Feedly and it's no Good Reader, but it's not terrible. Anyway, here ya go:
Posted: 08 Jul 2013 10:19 PM PDT
Language warning, but way to make a point in such a creative way. [P.S. I love the end, because formula marketing in the Third World makes me hot like almost nothing else.]
Posted: 08 Jul 2013 10:12 PM PDT
"For both of them, the American Dream never happened because it was never a possibility, and it wasn't because they "refuse[d] to grow and develop."  Their situations were so completely racked with abuse, neglect, trauma, dysfunction, sin, and evil, in real, palpable ways, that no amount of personal choosing on their part would have been sufficient to outpace.  In their worlds, choosing to overcome dysfunction is like trying to plug a sinkhole – you're filling up space but the bottom is dropping out from underneath you.  This is no doubt some of what Jesus was referring to when he said, "In this world you will have trouble."...This is not to preclude the possibility that Jesus might deliver Rashid and David, but this is by far the exception if it means extrication from their circumstances. Jesus usually seems more interested in delivering people within their circumstances than from them. "
Posted: 08 Jul 2013 10:00 PM PDT
So interesting.
Posted: 08 Jul 2013 09:54 PM PDT
"The word "complementarian" was used very early in this discussion — way back when the first breakouts and breakthroughs occurred — for what is now called "egalitarian" by "complementarians," and the word "complementarian" meant "mutualist" and was preferred by those now called egalitarian. Confusing? Read on.  Those egalitarian-complementarians saw marriages and men and women relations as complementary and equal and not hierarchical. So the early egalitarians among evangelicals saw themselves as complementarians and then the complementarians grabbed the term, and frankly it sounds better than hierarchicalists. But the fact is that the word complementarian today means hierarchalist while the term egalitarian can mean totally equal or mutualist. I really like the term mutualist. I remember studying this issue and it dawning on me that I was an old-fashioned complementarian, which meant different, equal and complementary, but not roles or hierarchy, and I felt flummoxed by the whole discussion. Then a friend pointed out to me that the egalitarians originally wrote a book called “complentarity without hierarchy” so I suppose you could say we have two kinds of complementarians: those without hierarchy and those with it."

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Sara Fries said...

I'm not sure what other readers you looked at to replace Google Reader and others that relied on it, but I started using The Old Reader, and it's been really nice so far. Reminds me a lot of google reader, which is what I used before. If you end up not happy with Feedly, you might want to check it out!

Sara Fries said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah Denley said...

Sara,

I tried The Old Reader and thought I was going to LOVE it, it was so similar to GR. The problem I had was if I clicked around under a category (e.g. "Faith Blogs") instead of going in the order they were listed, it would mark everything above that post as read. Have you run into this? [What I'm saying may not make sense at all. I'm not sure how to explain it.] I wish I could get it to work because the interface is the best/most similar to GR. Thanks for your tip!

Sara Fries said...

Ah, I don't have different folders. Too bad it does that because it does have a nice interface otherwise. Maybe they'll eventually work out those glitches!