Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Weekly Smorgasbord

Pretty good little link list here this week:



On Faith:
Posted: 18 Jul 2013 07:39 PM PDT
"But I'm also cupping handfuls of happiness in small things. I'm noticing the sparks light up my bones and chasing them down and marking them into my highly scheduled days. I'm letting myself actually enjoy my world and the people in it."

I certainly don't have the history that Emily has, but it took me a long time to get to where I could not feel guilt over finding extreme happiness in things that weren't "spiritual" at all.

On Love:
Posted: 25 Jul 2013 08:29 PM PDT
"I wanted to put somewhere public something of a promise to those who wonder if it can all be, truly, wonderful. I wanted to tell them that it can. You simply have to realise the wonderful comes not in the loudness of a story but in the quietness of it, in the way that you thought you knew so perfectly and so truly exactly what it felt like to be seen, to be kissed, to be loved, until one morning in the midst of the ordinary a woman looks at you from across the room and you realise what poetry must be, what it is to feel the vault of the earth in tilt, what it is to fall in love over and over again until you believe that you could still time if you only hold your breath just long enough."
Posted: 25 Jul 2013 08:28 PM PDT
"That youth-ministry position wasn't home, and we both knew it. Your masters degree in fine arts wasn't home either, and we both knew it. And though early passions have given way to the adult practicalities of life–boy raising and career building–I think we're closer to figuring out what "home" means to us"

On Parenting:
Posted: 25 Jul 2013 08:55 PM PDT
"And while I don't ever want my daughter to feel the pain of real trouble, I wonder just how I can raise a human in this blessed environment, where she is completely inoculated against such petulant, whiny diseases. Pain, of course, is relative. And having financial security doesn't protect against real problems. But how do I teach my children that petty problems aren't worth their time? That failure makes you stronger and that social media-induced ennui means you should probably shut the computer and read a book -- a real book."

Posted: 29 Jul 2013 09:29 PM PDT
"I heard myself. I remembered the embarrassed apology at Target.  Such words did not belong to the philosophy I preached. Somewhere I had bought into the idea that little girls were better when cute, that coordinated outfits and bows and socks were important. Maybe it's because no one compliments your girl when she wears fleece penguin pants, but a coordinated Gap outfit equals three compliments from strangers. When had I bought into this fashion driven culture? Why was I working against my own desires to teach my girl that the world looks at outside appearances but God look at the heart?"
Posted: 29 Jul 2013 09:26 PM PDT
"Do you know anyone who has never been broken? That's what I thought. The guarantee of brokenness increases with each year of life. Our jobs is to teach them to wade through the shard, bandage the wounds, and keep walking."

Love this.
Posted: 29 Jul 2013 08:59 PM PDT
"But there was also the smell of the top of their baby heads. And the pudgy, little kissable feet, that are now big and stinky. Their bodies that used to be part of me, are now entirely their own. They're not little anymore. That part of my life is over. And I find myself here, with three medium sized kids, in the sweet spot. I'm equal parts grateful and terrified."

On Truth:
Posted: 24 Jul 2013 11:40 PM PDT
"This, to me, speaks to our incredible ability to fill in "truth gaps" with what feels like facts, but simply aren't. The truth is we know very little about what happened, while we feel like we do. The brain, whether we like it or not, categorizes facts into a narrative and once that narrative is subscribed to, which happens very quickly, rejects any facts that don't support the story we've chosen to believe."

On Human Trafficking:
Posted: 29 Jul 2013 09:55 PM PDT
"Now. Everything in me wanted to jump up and scream, "THIS IS TOTALLY A VICTIM OF TRAFFICKING!!! QUICK! LET'S GRAB HER!!!" - But I kept up appearances, as instructed to "just party". Because that's what the beginning of rescue looks like -- it looks like average, every day dudes going to strip clubs and gay bars and brothels looking for a good time, when, in actuality, they're super badass mofo's looking for underage sex workers and victims of trafficking."

On Creating:
Posted: 24 Jul 2013 11:26 PM PDT
"I want to spend my time making things, telling stories, giving everything I have, not sitting back and pointing out what someone else should have done. It's lazy, and it's cheap, and it's cowardly. So I'm circling the wagons, listening to the voices that matter most, and getting back to work."

This was so, so good.

On the Online Version of Self:
Posted: 18 Jul 2013 07:43 PM PDT
"While Lucy was looking for a proper place to tend to her business, I set to wondering whether my avatar-self (the online version of me, see) and my analog-self (the chocolate eating me) would get along rather well, or whether they'd claim friendship only in passing conversation, small talk, or over evening cocktails. I wondered whether the Twitter me would name-drop the real me, whether he'd quote me and with how much frequency. I reckoned my analog-self might find my avatar-self a bit pompous at times, or perhaps myopic. On the flip-side, my avatar-self might rightly question whether my analog-self was on the narrow road, or whether he'd be fit enough to squeeze through a very narrow gate."

I think about this a lot and have read about the dilemma before. But never written so beautifully.

On Moving:
Posted: 24 Jul 2013 10:54 PM PDT
"I am angry that I am stuffing in another scarf and not one more hurried-but-sweet friend-lunch between classes, or folding another damn V-neck T-shirt and not a thousand heart-talks passed over our cups as the sprinkles melt into the ice cream. I'm packing books I should have read this summer, and dates I should have made with people I love along with them. The books I can read later. The rest I am unsure of. Do I make long-distance promises to people I forgot to call when they were down the street? The question itself breaks my heart."

This resonates.

On Summer Camp:
Posted: 24 Jul 2013 01:42 PM PDT
This is a bit (okay, alot) crude, but I loved it for some reason. I guess it just made me nostalgic for my "Summers away" at camp.

On Finding Beauty and Inspiration:
Posted: 29 Jul 2013 09:05 PM PDT



Enjoy!

1 comment:

Mallory Pickering said...

I loved reading the camp thing. I remember the days of bunk beds pushed together. Awww.

The one by Antonia (who I've never read before) was breathtaking to me. Like I gasped a couple of times. She just so captured something I relate to deeply.