Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Weekly Smorgasbord

Wow! It's been so long since I've done one of these. We were getting ready for a trip, on the trip, and then readjusting from the trip. So I haven't been doing a lot of blog reading. Today I actually spent way too much time doing it! Anyway, here's some links from the past little while: 



On Parenting;
Posted: 21 Aug 2013 10:01 PM PDT
I love this. So much.

On Homosexuality:
Posted: 22 Aug 2013 12:11 PM PDT
I ordinarily like a lot Thabiti Anyabwile's stuff, but I feel like this piece is really not helpful. For one thing, I personally find it terribly difficult to love someone as Christ commanded me to if I'm constantly in a state of recoil over their bedroom behaviors. Secondly, while I have pretty strongly orthodox Christian sexual ethics, I don't think this is the way to get there. I'm going to go where Pastor Anywabwile warns us not to, but there was a time in the not too distant past when those people in the board room would have reacted in horror had he explicitly described intercourse between a black man and a white woman. In fact, I'm confident I know people who, if they were completely honest, would still be disgusted by such a union. Whereas alternatively, I can think of no words describing gossip that are strong enough to produce a near vomitous reaction, even though we see powerful New Testament admonitions against it.

On Breastfeeding:
Posted: 04 Aug 2013 10:51 PM PDT
"Furthermore, our culture says a breast is considered sexual because it can be used in a sexual way. But so can our mouths, our hands, etc. Breasts are such a big deal in the US because we've made them that way, not because they are innately so. In many cultures, breasts play almost zero role in sex, but hips, legs, the nape of the neck, even feet are seen as sexy....I think our culture's intense focus on the breast as a sexual object is terribly harming to women in many ways, breastfeeding being just one aspect of that. And frankly, it's something that I refuse to cater to or to teach my children. "

 I'm not currently breastfeeding  and I can count on both my hands the people I've nursed in front of sans cover- my husband, my other child when I was nursing my second, my mom, a handful of close girl friends, and exactly two men who were not my husband. So...I'm not in the ballgame now the way Kristal is and I've yet to be. That say I fully support (and admire, truthfully) women who breastfeed in public.

On Carseat Safety:
Posted: 17 Aug 2013 12:36 PM PDT
My car doesn't even have a LATCH system (old!), but this is good info.

On Life:
Posted: 17 Aug 2013 12:40 PM PDT
I love this.
Posted: 17 Aug 2013 12:39 PM PDT
So heartbreaking.
On Interfaith Relations:
Posted: 18 Aug 2013 02:38 PM PDT
Powerful.

On Introverts:
Posted: 21 Aug 2013 09:48 PM PDT
I love this. I realize it's kind of trendy now (mostly because I think being labeled an introvert had a bit of a stigma for a long time), but so many of these are true for me. I think it really all comes down to where you get your energy from and how you process things. Less with if you're "outgoing" or "friendly".


Enjoy!

No comments: