Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Hymnology: History of Hymns

Photo: In Studio for this week's Hymnology podcast!

One of my high school friends, Beau, is producing the coolest podcast and I had to share it with y'all!

If you've read this blog much, you know I *love* hymns and I *love* history. So much so that I have basically the equivalent of a minor in history and so much so that I have a tiny little collection of posts all about my feelings on various hymns. In fact, I shared my history and hymn love way back in 2009.

So that was a very verbose way of getting to the point. And the point is: LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST ALL ABOUT THE HISTORY OF BELOVED HYMNS.

Okay, sorry to yell, but it really is exciting. I've always enjoyed reading the little blurbs about different hymns on CyberHymnal. But this is an altogether different experience entirely. I mean there is real meat in this thing.

Basically, Chris, the guy who does the show (and the guy in the picture above), offers a really thorough experience walking you through the history of the hymns he covers. I mean,  it is really well researched. From what I can tell, each podcast includes the history surrounding the writing of the hymn and basically what amounts to a short sermonette revolving around the meaning of the lyrics of the hymn being covered.  As an aside, I will say that (in my opinion) these guys are choosing gems: Are You Washed in the Blood? On Jordan's Stormy Banks I Stand? Morning Has Broken? Yes please.

These are beautiful songs but I think we may be missing something if we don't take time to learn about the beautiful (and often broken) people and stories behind them. And THIS MAKES IT SO EASY.

I am very, very careful about what I endorse on my blog. I don't just jump at the chance to do giveaways or "sell" things or promote stuff. There is NOTHING wrong with that, but, in general, that's not what I want for this space. It's a charge I've given myself, but it's one I take very seriously. So, know I wouldn't point you at a thing if I didn't think it was real good stuff.

Anyway, here is the real good stuff:
You can listen here for free.
Or like Hymnology on Facebook and keep up with podcasts as they are added that way.

1 comment:

Bech and Marley Evans said...

I am a little embarrassed to admit I have yet to listen to one of the podcasts (I really hope Beau doesn't read your blog...if he does, sorry! I've been busy with moving and being unemployed and wearing my pajamas all day...oh wait, this isn't helping...). Anyway, I need to get on this. I have always loved knowing the stories about hymns, so I know I will love these podcasts!