Thursday, September 26, 2013

Weekly Smorgasbord

Wow, lots of links this week. A pretty good variety, I think, too.


On Faith:
Posted: 20 Sep 2013 09:15 PM PDT
"Spadaro asks Pope Francis point-blank, "Who is Jorge Mario Bergoglio?" The pope's answer is shocking: "I am a sinner. This is the most accurate definition. It is not a figure of speech, a literary genre. … I am a sinner, but I trust in the infinite mercy and patience of our Lord Jesus Christ, and I accept in a spirit of penance." "

Hey, guys, the interview wasn't just about abortion and gay marriage. Also-- this is REALLY good. Love him.
Posted: 20 Sep 2013 09:14 PM PDT
"But when we discourage members of the body of Christ from challenging the status quo or even the fundamentals of our faith, we limit their own discovery of truth. By testing the claims of Christianity, we substantiate them in our own hearts."
Posted: 23 Sep 2013 06:40 PM PDT
"The key apologetic for Christianity—far more important than knowing the right answers to hard questions—is love. Communities of faith that embody the kindness of God in cruciform 'works of love' are deeply attractive and are themselves evidence (not proof) of the truth of the gospel."
Posted: 22 Sep 2013 03:01 PM PDT
"It took motherhood for me to realize just how much I need the gospel. Before I had children, the gospel was like viewing a tower in the fog. I knew the gospel, understood its importance, but I didn't see the impact in all its fullness. The details were hazy and its beauty shadowed. But after becoming a mom and taking on its package of responsibilities and challenges, I have begun to see the gospel with more clarity. It has become for me the tower of refuge that it is."
On Parenting:
Posted: 20 Sep 2013 10:00 PM PDT
"Look, I'm a mother. I care deeply about my children's safety. But safety is just one important thing to teach our children. And it's not even anywhere near the most important thing. Keeping your kids from dying or getting hurt is of secondary importance to teaching them how to live. Safety isn't even a virtue. If you're teaching your kids more about safety than you are about honesty, kindness, respect for others, responsibility, gratitude, integrity, cooperation, determination, social skills, enthusiasm, compassion and manners, you're doing it wrong."
Posted: 25 Sep 2013 10:35 AM PDT
"They need my questions and my laughter and my attention. They need my blessing. They need my hands on their heads as I pray for favor and growth and a heart that hungers for God. They need to know that I love them more with every passing day, that no amount of exhaustion or solo-parenting or stress can stand between them and me."
Posted: 17 Sep 2013 10:18 PM PDT
"We have pretty high standards in the Lia household. No doubt about it. But we are NOT a house of shame. I can't think of a time when God ever sent me, head hanging to my room. He prods me to the right path, He allows trials and tests, but He is never frowning, and always speaks that which will give me life."
Posted: 22 Sep 2013 03:07 PM PDT
"So, we have a problem: Our children are growing up in a sexually corrupt and corrupting culture, and due to the technological revolution, putting them in a pristine bubble isn't even an option anymore (as though it was ever healthy....)"

My friend Ann Lowrey did a whole (four part, I believe) series on sexual ethics. Totally worth the read...all four parts.

On Singles in the Church:
Posted: 23 Sep 2013 07:39 PM PDT
"t is a strange kind of grief because most people don't recognize it as a validated loss.  Singles often feel a deep sense of grieving, and yet we don't feel like we deserve to be grieving because nothing concrete has happened to us."

On Orphan Care:
Posted: 25 Sep 2013 11:16 AM PDT
"Don't get me wrong – I think supporting orphans is important. Vitally important. But I want to make sure that we aren't creating and sustaining a child's orphan status because it's the only way we are offering a family aid. An orphanage is not a good way for a child to grow up. We have tons of research supporting the idea that children raised in institutional settings will struggle relationally, cognitively, and emotionally. In the US, we see that non-family care leads to horrible statistical outcomes: less likely to go to college, more likely to be in prison, less likely to gain employment, more likely to be homeless. Therefore, when we talk about "orphan care", our goal, when possible, should be family care."

On Homeschooling:
Posted: 23 Sep 2013 05:38 PM PDT
Interesting infographic!

On Feminism:
Posted: 19 Sep 2013 08:26 PM PDT
Interesting!

On NYC:
Posted: 24 Sep 2013 09:16 PM PDT
As long as people want to live in good neighborhoods and pay cheap rents, and as long as there are artists and gays and bohemians, and as long as we keep producing young people who crave newness and a place of their own, gentrification will continue. Our neighborhoods will continue to be reshaped. Policy changes, like inclusive zoning and strong rent control, can help reduce the amplitude and pace of these changes, but the process itself can never be stopped, until New York sinks under the last wave or the final heap of ash. ..acknowledge that while gentrification is inevitable, its character is not. Small, personal decisions, like buying your coffee at the local place instead of at Starbucks, can give gentrification in your neighborhood a more organic, human character. So will voting for liberal candidates, who support subsidies for the poor and the elderly, and also donating to and volunteering with charities that support these groups. Don't be a destructive transient: the future of your neighborhood, and your city, is in your hands.

On Fall:
Posted: 19 Sep 2013 07:50 PM PDT
HAHAHAHA!

On Children's Books:
Posted: 22 Sep 2013 01:27 PM PDT
"News that an unfinished manuscript by children's illustrator Richard Scarry is to be coloured up by his son and published this autumn may not immediately thrill the children of today, but it will provoke waves of nostalgia in those of us who grew up with his busy anthropomorphised beasts." 

Speak for yourselves, writers of The Guardian. I know a certain Busy Bud who *will* be thrilled. Also? If your little boy is not growing up with plenty of exposure to anthromorphised beasts...you're doing it wrong.

On Things That Are Truly Ridiculous:
Posted: 22 Sep 2013 01:30 PM PDT
Guess I should maybe stop saying the "Y word"? Nay.

On the Aging Process:
Posted: 22 Sep 2013 03:05 PM PDT
"By taking photographs of different family members and merging them together, these filmmakers created "Danielle," showing us in five minutes the almost imperceptible effects of aging throughout a lifetime."

On Things That Never Stop Being Funny:
Posted: 21 Sep 2013 02:07 PM PDT
These things never stop being funny.

Enjoy!

No comments: