Tuesday, October 29, 2013

31 Days of Mississippi Goodbyes: Amazing Friendships



I told y'all that the last three were going to be really hard. The things I'll miss most, are, understandably, all relational.

We have so many good friends here and have been so blessed by the support and encouragement of having the kind of close friendships that nourish one's soul. I wrote about Carrie already, but there's a handful of other guys and gals who we are going to miss dearly. There's a lot of people we'll miss-- a LOT. But I can think of probably ten people, outside our families, who, when I think about being across the country from, it brings me to tears. People that get me, people that see me at my lowest and are okay with sitting with me there for a bit. People who accept me as I am but who encourage me to become better. People who represent Christ, the incarnational Lord....who are his hands and feet and moreover who have His heart and see through His eyes, as incredibly trite as it sounds.

This picture at the top is the text of my absolute favorite songs. Honestly, if we were to get married again, the one thing I'd change is including this song in the ceremony (and hanging out the linen hand towels at the reception because that stressed Minnie out a ton). It always brings to mind that handful of people who love us and serve us so well.

I intend to write a whole post on this song at some point, but the line "I will hold the Christ light for you in the night time of your fear..." always and without fail brings me to tears. Even now, just typing it. I think of the fears that I've struggled with, days that truly felt as dark as night and nights that seemed unbearable and the incredible support and love of friends who held the Christ light in all the beautiful and hard ways. Mainly, they listened. They validated. They empathized. And they prayed.

This is a gift I am so appreciative of. I know not everyone has this. And I'm scared of leaving it. Really damn scared.

I started to click publish, leaving this one without the tidy ribbons. But then I remembered something. I think, really, the Holy Spirit brought it to mind. Two of these servant friends aren't even in Jackson themselves now. My conversations with them happen largely, almost entirely, by the God given gift of modern technology.

I'm praying that the Lord will use this time to guide us into new relationships but also that these connections with people "back home" will remain solid and unchanged, in so much is possible.


To see a list of previous posts in the series, click here.

1 comment:

Bech and Marley Evans said...

Okay, I feel like I've said this several times to you, but there is an Andrew Peterson song this reminds me of! Check out "Carry the Fire." It's about a husband and wife, but it still has the same theme as that song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hahX10ofNYY