Tuesday, October 22, 2013

31 Days of Mississippi Goodbyes: A Certain Style of Children's Dress


I know there won't be a lot of kids dressed like this tot in New York. If I'm being honest, though, I don't have just a ton of friends here who dress their kids like I do mine. I tend to put mine in things longer than a lot of people (I put Annie in a bubble or two at four and I don't see myself hesitating to put Graves in a jon jon anytime in the foreseeable future) and I'm probably a little more dressy than most (my friends sort of chuckle when they see a picture of Graves napping in a jon jon).

But most people here know what a jon jon is

It's not like I'm preoccupied with what other people put their children in and it's not like I don't think other styles are cute (for example, I nearly died the first time I put Graves in his Babar literature tee). But, like most people, I like it when I'm not so glaringly in the minority (or more accurately, I'm guessing in this case, I just am the minority). 

The silver lining in this is easy to find. Sure, they'll stand out. But not too bad I don't think. Kids (and adults) wear anything and everything and I don't think it's the same as just some random mid sized town up North. There's such an eclectic feel and in a way, anything goes. 

Which is good, because if anything is going to New York with us, it's a tupperware box full of jon jons! 

No comments: