Thursday, October 24, 2013

31 Days of Mississippi Goodbyes: A Certain Way of Talking



Pretty much the first thing everyone says regarding the move when they find out is "You know everyone is going to laugh at how y'all talk". 

And they are right. More than one person has told me that they have literally never heard a man who speaks with more of a Southern accent than Peyton and his is by far the least noticable of the four of us. I will say one thing about Peyton is that he's able to sort of change up how he talks. I always pick on him about his "code switching" because he'll be talking like the biggest redneck ever when he's talking to some country guy, then he'll start talking to some intellectual person and he'll sound like he's spent years in the academy, and then a black guy will walk up and he'll start talking just like the black guy. I'm not really that talented. I have a really, really thick accent, y'all. And the poor kids do, too. I was noticing it with Graves especially the other day. It's incredible.

And yeah, I hate to say goodbye to people saying "y'all". I just don't think I'll ever be able to do "You(s) guys" or "Yinz". MAYBE "you guys".

I think it'll be fine, though. We're going to stick out a lot, but maybe it won't be awful. For the most part on our trip it seemed like people found it endearing. And I honestly don't mind people picking on me about it in a good natured way. I can laugh at myself! I know there'll be people that think we're ridiculous hillbillies and probably won't work to hard to hide it. And that's okay.

I know that we're intelligent, capable people who happen to have really thick Southern accents. And for those that think differently...

yous guys got some learnin' to do.

To see a list of previous posts in the series, click here.

No comments: