Saturday, October 26, 2013

31 Days of Mississippi Goodbyes: A Certain Pace of Living



One huge difference between NYC and Mississippi is the pace of living. Things move FAST up there and things move sloooow down here. Actually, I'd guess that the pace of life is probably as slow here as anywhere else in the country. And it's probably faster in New York than anywhere else.

You notice it on the streets, in the stores, in the way people talk, and in their mannerisms. They are in a hurry.

I think there are several ways to look at this, however. I was talking to Carrie the other day and we were discussing basically the question "How busy is too busy?". We agreed that it's a fine line and it looks different for different people/families. We don't want to overburden ourselves to the point we become frazzled and worn down, but we also don't want to be lazy and selfish with our time and never give of it to others. If you've read here much, you know that this is a constant give and take with me and Peyton. He just naturally gravitates toward a more busy lifestyle. I promise I'm going somewhere with this...

And here's where-- as far as our family is concerned, in one way, I think our pace will slow down. Carrie and I were talking about this too, actually, on a different day. I think we'll want to fit a lot into our days, naturally, because we know our time in the city will be limited. But I also think that we won't be as busy, simply because we'll have less obligations to meet and less organizations we're a part of and less events that we need to attend at certain times. Yes, we'll try to take in a lot, but our schedules will be flexible.

But the cultural adjustment outside our family is another thing altogether. It's weird for me to see people who are basically literally running. It's weird when people don't really have time for eye contact. It's weird to feel like there is this constant invisible clock in the clouds ticking away and people are in some kind of rat race to beat it.

The pace of life has a lot to do with why we've gravitated toward Brooklyn. It's still definitely a change of scenery, but nowhere near as dramatic as in Manhattan. People seem to walk slower, be more open to dialogue, and be less concerned with getting where they need to be right that minute.

I'm sad to leave a place where people still value a slower, more leisurely and at times I think more deliberate pace. But I'm also excited for the whirlwind that awaits us. And I'm immeasurable grateful that, in Brooklyn, we seemed to have found a manageable medium.

To see a list of previous posts in the series, click here.

No comments: