Thursday, October 10, 2013

31 Days of Mississippi Goodbyes: Fun Seasonal Events


I wrote my last post about the state fair, the token Fall experience for me here. But there are quite a few other events I'll miss.

I guess because it's next on the horizon, I'm thinking mostly about Winter things. Mainly Mistletoe and The Nutcracker right now.

I knew when we took Annie last year and she became OBSESSED with it that I wanted to make seeing The Nutcracker Ballet a yearly event. Obviously, we will take her to the ballet in NYC, but for some reason, I remember seeing The Nutcracker here growing up (and honestly, not having a huge affinity for it) and it's just very "Jackson" to me.

Even though my Mistletoe experience last year involved a mortifying event where I dumped over a massive ice filled beverage cart in an attempt to fulfill my Junior League obligation by working three four hour shifts in the span of thirty six or so hours, I have a lot of fond memories of the event. It's just over the top, but it's amazing. It's pretty much the polar opposite of the fair-- very fluffy and whimsical, mostly women, mostly affluent women. It's a Winter Wonderland and it's the perfect way to kick off the holiday season, just as it is marketed to do. You kind of feel like your head is about to spin off because it's so packed and there are so many vendors and so much to see, but it's magical.

 I remember going with my first real boyfriend to Mistletoe in eighth grade. I remember exactly what I was wearing (a maroon wool sweater, these weird black pants, and equally unattractive basically gender neutral black shoes-- it was every bit as horrible as it sounds). I also remember subbing one day and then going with my girlfriends and my boobs being about to explode because at the time I had never been away from Annie (and the pump) for anywhere near that duration. And then last year was the beverage cart incident. So many memories!

I'm sure there are similar events in the Spring and Summer that just aren't coming to mind right now. I have one more special "event", but I felt like it needed its own post, so that's tomorrow!


1 comment:

Bech and Marley Evans said...

Since I was 8, I have missed Mistletoe for only 3 years (two in Vermont, one in Malawi), and this will be my 4th year. I feel so shallow saying it, too, but it is always really hard for me. Mistletoe is the start of Christmas season for me. One year my mom was placement chair for Mistletoe and I typed all of her placements (I was her little secretary!). I lived and breathed Mistletoe that year, and I absolutely adored doing so! So enjoy Mistletoe for me this year! My two sisters are also going to miss it, so for the first time, my mom will have to drag my little brother around to do the shopping!