Friday, October 18, 2013

31 Days of Mississippi Goodbyes: Having a Nice Large Laundry Room



I've mentioned to several people over the past week how in NYC it's really rare to have find an apartment with "in unit" laundry. I use it as an example of one of the many things that I didn't even think about before we got serious about this move. 

Here, if you rent an apartment like Peyton did when he was in pharmacy school, it's pretty likely you'll have the space and the wiring/set up needed to house a washer and dryer in your apartment. 

In New York, we'll be lucky if we find an apartment with laundry IN THE BUILDING. Like it will be a blessing to do laundry in a basement, dorm-style. I'm really hopeful we can avoid the laundry mat, but we've not found a ton in our price range, that meets our other specifications, with on site laundry facilities. 

Imma miss my laundry room something fierce. 

Honestly, the laundry room is one of the things I love about this house. I have several friends that have lived in houses that aren't as old as ours and while their storage was much better than ours in some cases, their laundry rooms were small and closet like and just not ideal. 

It's totally within reason our kids bedroom could be the size of our current laundry room. I've loved the extra storage and that it has room for a big shelving system, the washer and dryer, a filing cabinet, a small table, the diaper pail for cloth diapers, and a big basket for some of our linens. 

I'm going to miss all that space and I'm going to miss the ease of doing laundry for sure. Fingers crossed we can find something with a shared laundry room! 




No comments: