Wednesday, October 9, 2013

31 Days of Mississippi Goodbyes: The State Fair



I'm convinced that the Mississippi State Fair is simultaneously one of the most fun and most disgusting places on Earth. I end up with a headache and a stomach ache after pretty much every visit regardless of what I ride or what I eat, but it's so worth it. It's amazing. It just is.

Even though it's truly revolting, I love (some of) the smells. I love the fun and magic of it. I love how the "day vibe" is very different from the "night vibe".

And I love that it's such a picture of humanity. It's like Walmart on 'roids. You see people wearing stilettos and you see people in sneakers with their toes peaking out. You see tiny babies (yeah, I used to wince at that, but after that one time we took Baby Annie on Bourbon Street in the middle of the night, I stopped judging). And you see the elderly. Like the really, really elderly. You see families and couples and, possibly my favorite, love struck teenagers. You see little beauty pageant girls and you see barnyard animals. Your see joyful abandon (at least for one night) written across the faces of many and you see loneliness and disillusionment in the eyes of other ones. And you see glimpses of yourself. Or former selves. It's so microcosm-ish and I love it for that reason. The people watching alone is worth the ticket price.  The food and rides are just icing on the cake.

Honestly, I reread that paragraph and it's funny because the things I love about the state fair are some of the things I actually love about NYC. I love the dirt and grit and reality and humanity of it. I love a place that is honest with itself. I love the fact that I will never be *the* weird girl there. I love the epic people watching. And I love glimpsing into a stranger's eyes and seeing myself or former selves.

We may have to go to Coney Island for the rides and food, but the truly special parts of the Fair will soon be our every day!

[Sidenote: I don't have the token Ferris Wheel Polaroid from last year because Annie was terrified of the thing and we were doing darn good to get her atop a horse, scratch that, sitting in someone's lap on a bench, on the carousal. The picture at the top is from last year.] 








1 comment:

Mary Louis Quinn said...

There is nothing better than the Fair! I miss it! I need to make it a point to take the girls next year.