Sunday, October 20, 2013

31 Days of Mississippi Goodbyes: A Warm Climate


Today is October 20th and it was the first truly cool day yet in Mississippi. By noon, in the sun, it really wasn't that cool.

There are parts of the Mississippi climate I won't miss. This morning someone at church was talking to me about the difference in humidity. He said that because it's a "dry cold" instead of a "wet cold", it doesn't hurt as bad. Um, I'll believe that when I see (feel) it. But I will say that I won't miss the humidity at all. He was saying you have to moisturize your face a ton up there, but you know what? I don't care about dry skin. The week were in NYC in August was one of the best weeks I've had allergy wise. I had one headache the whole time and I wasn't congested at all. It was SO nice.

That said, I'm super (SUPER) cold-natured and I know this is going to be a big adjustment. Last Winter, I'd just get so grumpy some days when the house wasn't warm enough. There was one day I nearly cried over it. I just HATE being cold. I'd much rather sweat. The good news is that heat is included in the rent in all the apartments, pretty much. So, I'm not going to worry about cranking it up like I do here.

But getting outside is going to be rough, especially since it won't be going from building to car to building, but building to long stretch of street/subway to building.

I've done my best to outfit us in the kind of cold weather apparel we'll need and I know the relief from sinus pressure and headaches will be amazing, but I'm still coming to terms with saying goodbyes to such nice, temperate weather. Wait you don't consider mid eighties in October nice and temperate? Whatever.


To see a list of previous posts in the series, click here.

No comments: