Friday, October 25, 2013

Weekly Smorgasbord

Wow. It's been a while, yeah? I really underestimated how hard my 31 Days challenge would be. Well, hard isn't really the word. I'm not sure, I have some thoughts on it and I'll likely just do a whole post on what I learned at some point. I totally meant to keep up with everything else (and it's really not that much)- do the kids letters as normal, and these and my Weekly Happenings Posts. I've kept up with the WH, but that's about it. I'm trying to use this week to catch up on the others before my head spins off! I've been keeping up with my blog reading somewhat, but you can tell some of these are pretty old! 


On Faith:
Posted: 01 Oct 2013 01:15 PM PDT
"If Pope Francis wishes to reclaim the primacy of the gospel, he must simultaneously speak with kindness to those outside of its reach and speak of the need for good news. What these interviews seem continually to do is what evangelical theologian Carl Henry warned Protestants of in the 20th century, of severing the love of God from the holiness of God. God is, Henry said against both the liberal Social Gospel and obscurantist and angry fundamentalism, the God of both justice and justification." 

Interesting take. FWIW, I've been really impressed with this Pope and like a lot of what he says. 


Posted: 09 Oct 2013 08:34 PM PDT
Though I do not presume to speak for God, though I cannot claim insight into the nuanced interaction between God's sovereignty and man's free will, allow me one observation: God's sovereignty is no excuse for the blind-injustices of man, however well-intentioned they may be. He is ever just. He is ever equitable. He will not be mocked by our theologically tidied-up versions of unjust stories.

On Parenting:
Posted: 17 Oct 2013 02:39 PM PDT
"I want to raise tinies who walk humbly and do justly. I want to raise them to know and understand the importance of family and community. I want them to see, know, and honour the men and women who have walked ahead of us on The Way. And so that translates into a lot of "come along and see for yourself. "Come along, sweetheart, come along and see for yourself. Come along while I pray, while I write, while I read, while I visit friends, while I minister, while I cook, while I do laundry, while I learn, while I worship, while I go to church, while I preach, while I advocate, while I clean this house, while I rest, even while I do an undignified circuit work out in the multi-purpose room at Church for girls in Uganda."
Posted: 09 Oct 2013 08:07 PM PDT
Pretty much anyone who plays a large instrument in the woods wins the day. And maybe I cried a little bit thinking of Baby Graves getting his heart broken for the first time (and Annie too, but I mean it's about a boy, so I mostly think about him). Geez, his biggest problem today was that he doesn't own a "penguin cape" like the one at the haircut place. So weird to think about my little people experiencing oh you know, LIFE. But it's coming...praying He'll equip me for the task at hand.

On Children Who Are Incarcerated: 

Posted: 09 Oct 2013 08:25 PM PDT
This is awful.

On School:
Posted: 27 Sep 2013 02:40 PM PDT
"School libraries are filled with computers and the shelves are filled with dreck based on video games, cartoons and movies. It is said that this is the only way to tempt children away from screen to page, but these book impostors are created to foster and capitalize on an appetite for a product. Is it likely that "Barbie in a Mermaid Tale," printed out as sixteen pages of dull and disjointed summary, will increase the odds of the child reading Alice in Wonderland or Swallows and Amazons? Whatever the market may cast before consumers, school should not be its enthusiastic accomplice in corrupting the taste and abilities of the young. We must know these things for what they are. The Pokemon Character Guide is not a book, it is a toy. Children ought to have toys, but they should also have books." I think this is a little overblown, but I do think it's an interesting, if not provocative, piece. I haven't seen many teachers of the "Don't – be – sneaky" variety, but I do think some of the ideas are on point.

On Work: 
Posted: 26 Sep 2013 07:36 PM PDT
"So, no matter what you do, I want to encourage you to keep working today. Sit in front of the keyboard just a little bit longer. Keep typing even if it feels empty. Keep swinging even if you're striking out. Because doing the hard work now is what gets you to the next step in the journey. It feels bleak now, I know, like maybe you'll be stuck in this rut forever, that you're blogging for nobody and there's nobody paying attention, that you have a deadline to hit and there's no way you'll make it."

On Why Columbus Is Not My Favorite:
Posted: 10 Oct 2013 09:17 PM PDT
Interesting.

On Writing:
Posted: 12 Oct 2013 06:55 PM PDT
""In my work as an online Managing Editor, I sometimes say things like this to the editors I work with: "Watch out for the Ann Voskamp state; almost everyone who reads Ann's blog ends up dropping articles." I don't want to sound like someone I'm not. I don't want to fall into some state. So when I go back to edit my own work, I try "to put the the's and the an's back in," but not always. Because sometimes I've said it just how I feel it. And almost always, I'll go back and change two words to contractions because I know that's (not that is) how I talk. Though I seldom write something like "whaddayamean." I try to tell it in my kind of words."

On Social Media Distractions:
Posted: 28 Sep 2013 08:23 PM PDT
I"t's a valid point; when was the last time you were able to sit idly doing nothing without reaching for your iPhone to check Twitter or something? Louis says smartphones distract us from the sadness and despair that we're all meant to feel sometimes." Really good point.

On Fear and Anxiety:
Posted: 13 Oct 2013 09:36 PM PDT
"A few days later, I closed my eyes to pray and pictured myself sitting on Jesus' lap. I couldn't stay there, even mentally, for more than one minute. I wanted to crawl down, grab my list and show him all the ways I have everything figured out, prove I'm a capable, responsible adult. I don't know how to accept grace for myself but I can do it for you all day."

On Things You Can't Forget:
Posted: 17 Oct 2013 10:01 PM PDT
Well, I won't forget Cosmic Brownies because I ATE ONE FOR LAST NIGHT. Eating packaged, processed kid desserts as you inch toward thirty? Yes please. I'm nothing if not a Debbie snack lover.

On Kids' Names:
Posted: 18 Oct 2013 06:51 PM PDT
Interesting.


Enjoy!


No comments: