Monday, December 2, 2013

What I'm Into (November)



On the Nightstand:
Another month, another post where I, sort of embarrassed, acknowledge that I haven't actually completed a single book. But, such is this season. I know December will be the same and I'm just letting go of having many goals outside of keeping my sanity, enjoying Christmas, and getting ready for the move. 

Reflections for Ragamuffins: Daily Devotions by Brennan Manning 

I still love it so much. I was thinking I'll probably read it over again next year. 


Immersion Bible Study: Psalms- J. Clinton McCann
I've gotten more into this and it's neat seeing the bigger "themes" in the Psalms and what that says to us about the character of God and his plans for his people. 

A Million Little Ways: Uncover the Art You Were Made to Live- Emily Freeman

I'm still watching the (In)Courage videos, but I got super behind mid month. I sort of took a break from it entirely for a bit (I went on a trip and then things just got busy, I guess?). Anyway, I picked it back up last week. Notice my book pile is on the floor. Our house is just kind of chaotic right now. 

I love the idea that creating (writing, specifically for me) is an "effort toward wholeness". 

So, ACTUALLY, I did finish one book this month. We started this thing back in August and I intended it as a read-aloud specifically for Graves. We've done a few pages each day, as his attention span allowed, and finally we made it though the whole book. And it's a big book. I'm pretty proud of us! 

On the Shelf:
NOTHING. I'm not adding anything until after the move. Except maybe this. Okay, probably this. Yep, I'll be sad if I don't do this...


At the Theater (or from the couch):
Peyton and I started watching a documentary called Holy Rollers: The True Story of Card Counting Christians. It's about a group of guys (and girls) who are all Christians and who "count cards" at the black jack table. It didn't hold my interest enough for me to make it all the way through, but it was sort of fascinating what good intentions these guys seem to have. Some of them were even pastors or church planters and this was basically the way they were supporting their families and their ministries. To me, it's a pretty clear ethical dilemma, but it was neat to be inside their heads for a bit. 

On the Small Screen:
We've enjoyed some more Saturday Night Live and I've been working through more episodes of The West Wing

Also, I'm starting The Wonder Years. I started to do this a while back and never followed through, but I watched the pilot again and I'm committed this time.  I absolutely love this show- the humor, the relationships, just all of it. I've said before, but to me, there's nothing better than a coming of age story and I'm not sure many people do it better than Fred Savage, to be frank. This is how the pilot ends, with the voice over of adult Kevin saying:


 It was the first kiss for both of us. We never really talked about it afterward, but I think about the events of that day again and again, and somehow I know that Winnie does too. Whenever some blowhard starts talking about the anonymity of the suburbs, or the mindlessness of the TV generation. Because we know that inside each one of those identical boxes, with its Dodge parked out front, and its white bread on the table, and its TV set glowing blue in the falling dusk, there were people with stories. There were families bound together in the pain and the struggle of love. There were moments that made us cry with laughter. And there were moments, like that one, of sorrow and wonder.

Guys, I think it's the move and everything and I'm just a wee bit more emotional than usual (which is to say, VERY emotional), but I cried a little bit. I mean is that not beautiful? Especially that last bolded part? Geez. 

In My Ears:
Peyton got his computer, and consequently his iTunes library, up and running again and I was able to create a November playlist

Honestly, my favorite thing to listen to this month has been this CD we discovered, Divided and United: Songs of the Civil War.  It's old songs, obviously, performed by current artists. They have a sort of folksy, bluegrass feel to them and I can't get enough of it. I'm so obsessed.  

Around the House:
We watched our Thankful Board grow...
   
This was such a fun and easy project and Annie loved it, especially. 

In the Kitchen:
I got back on board with the Winter Soup Challenge...in a way. They were all repeats from last year, but they were so good!

Mickey's Chili

Wild Rice from Come On In

Tomato Basil from Come On In

In My Closet:

I wore this to a western themed party the other night. I actually think I may wear the red boots with this jumper in public (I usually wear brown). It's so comfortable and is one of my favorite dresses because it's light weight and breezy. It's good for when the weather is still mild, but then I just put thick leggings under it when it gets chilly. 

Mississippi is ridiculous, y'all. {I know I'll be singing a different tune and probably sobbing after I come to terms with my first Yankee Winter.}

In Their Closets:

Well, I tried out a bit more of a trendy style with Annie and, while it's no smocked bishop, I did think she looked perfectly precious (sidenote: she chose to zip her hoodie up that far). 

I'm loving Graves's striped fleece. It's so snuggly warm, but it's very "little boy" to me. No pastels, no bunnies or lambs. At the same time, he basically thinks it's a big lovie and he's very tactile, so that pretty much puts him over the moon (see his sister's old giraffe lovie that he carts everywhere, along with about three others). 

In My Mailbox:
This fun invitation. It was cold, but it was BEAUTIFUL and we had fun! 
 
In My Cart:
Honestly, not much. Which is REALLY good. I ordered our Christmas cards and there there was this big spurge ($5.50, I think). I feel like it's time to start dipping our toes in as far as learning to read goes. 


On My Heart:
UGH. Kind of a lot. I know this is going to be an ongoing thing, but the anxiety about moving is, at times, brutal. Other times, I have such a peace and I'm genuinely excited about it. It's just such a HUGE transition, and I'm the kind of girl who doesn't do change particularly gracefully. I'm leaning heavy on my people these days. And honestly? it feels good when they lean back and lean in....into the pain with me. 

In My Prayers:
- I'm praying that God will strengthen my love for the city. I need to blog in more depth sometime, but I feel like he did a GREAT WORK on our trip in August and really transformed how I view it. I'm hesitant to say it, but I gave a piece of my heart to a place that isn't home (yet!). 
- I'm praying that I will be able to accomplish what needs to be accomplished in the next six-ish weeks and really trusting God to supply my strength. 
- I'm praying that He'll open my eyes to see HIM in these adventures and that he'll guide us to our home, to a group of friends, and to a church body. I'm (trying) to trust his timing in all these things. 

On the Calendar: 

Does anything else matter?

In all seriousness, we have a lot of fun, relaxing stuff planned for this month. I do have a lot I want to (NEED to) get done, but I think it will be a great last month here for all four of us.


As always, I'm linking up with Leigh. Go check out some other What I'm Into posts!

5 comments:

Bech and Marley Evans said...

Small world...I was Caroline's RA her freshman year and her dad works with my dad! Actually, anything involving Jackson is a small world!

Tacy said...

Wow! Your move is getting close! I will be praying you all stay warm!

Leigh Kramer said...

I loved The Wonder Years! That would be a fun show to watch again. I think it would hit me in a different way now that I'm grown up.

Amy E Patton said...

My dad watched the Wonder Years over and over and over. Love them. Love your closets too. Good luck with your move. Amy

Norissa said...

So many good things here! I think I'm going to have to get the Richard Scarry book for my kids for Christmas! And I will definitely check out that Civil War songs album. Some of our favorite music is the soundtrack to the Ken Burns Civil War documentary.