Sunday, December 1, 2013

Tunes for the Month: November

Peyton finally got his laptop up and running again and so I'm finally able to start back with my monthly playlists. I actually didn't create this one until late in the month and I know already it's not going to be one of my absolute favorites, but there is some good, good stuff here.

I have to say this playlist turned out a little raunchy/risque. I'm not sure what's up with that, but some of the tunes have messages I obviously don't condone. That said, I love them, so I included them. They can't all speak the cry of my heart- sometimes it's enough that it makes me feel like dancing.

1. Can't Fight This Feeling- REO Speedwagon
I can't fight this feeling any longer. 
And yet I'm still afraid to let it flow. 
What started out as friendship, 
Has grown stronger
I only wish I had the strength to let it show. 
I tell myself that I can't hold out forever. 
I said there is no reason for my fear. 
Cause I feel so secure when we're together. 
You give my life direction, 
You make everything so clear
Walgreens had this as their "on hold" music a while back when I called. I Googled to figure out who it was and then actually found it already in Peyton's iTunes library. It's pretty cheesy, but it's a good 80s song. 
2. Wouldn't It Be Nice- The Beach Boys
Wouldn't it be nice if we could wake up 
In the morning when the day is new 
And after having spent the day together 
Hold each other close the whole night through

I was just going through the library and found this one and had to add it. This is absolutely hysterical to me, but I used to listen to it when I was literally eleven years old and think about my then boyfriend (we were in fifth grade) and how awesome it would be when we could get married and spend the night together. What?!?

3. You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth- Meatloaf

And then you took the words right out of my mouth
Oh it must have been while you were kissing me
You took the words right out of my mouth
And I swear it's true I was just about to say "I love you", love you

This song starts out super weird (something about a wolf, I think) and honestly the "message" leaves something to be desired (to say the least), but it's got a good jivey feel and embarrassing as it is, I love a good Meatloaf ballad. 

4. Truly Madly Deeply- Savage Garden
And when my stars are shinin' brightly in the velvet sky
I'll make a wish to send it to Heaven
Then make you want to cry
The tears of joy for all the pleasure in the certainty
That we're surrounded by the comfort and protection of
The highest powers in lonely hours
(Lonely hours)
The tears devour you
And I want to stand with you on a mountain
I want to bathe with you in the sea
I want to lay like this forever
Until the sky falls down on me
Browsing the library and found this gem. It takes me back to around seventh grade and really expressed my emotion for the guy I was infatuated with at that point. 

5. These Thousand Hills- Third Day
These thousand hills roll ever on

In footprints of a Mighty God
They bring me to my knees in praise
Amazing love, amazing grace

Was on a hill my Savior died

A broken heart, a bleeding side
Hill of the skull, Mount Calvary
The blood He shed, He shed for me

When heaven's hills at last I roam

Forever settle in my home
I'll join the saints around Your throne
Your kingdom, Lord, rolls ever on

These thousand hills roll ever on

Ripples of a coming storm
The morning star precedes the dawn
These thousand hills roll ever on
These lyrics still make me tear up. I just think the imagery it beautiful. The images of the coming storm and the saints around His throne are so incredibly beautiful to me. 


6. Wake Me Up Before You Go Go- Wham!
Wake me up before you go go
'Cause I'm not plannin' on going solo
Wake me up before you go go
Take me dancing tonight
I wanna hit that high, yeah, yeah
You take the gray skies out of my way
You make the sun shine brighter than Doris Day
Turned a bright spark into a flame
My beats per minute never been the same
This is pretty much the exact opposite. It's another fun pop song, a little inappropriate, and if you know the VH1 backstory, I'm pretty sure the lead singer (George Michel) was caught performing some kind of sexual act on another man in a public restroom. So...there's that. But it's so catchy and easy to listen to. Wham! isn't all bad, y'all, I swear. 

7. Only the Good Die Young- Billy Joel
Come out come out come out Virgina don't let me wait, 
You Catholic girls start much too late
Sooner or later it comes down to fate
I might as well be the one, 
You know that only the good die young
Apparently, I'm hitting it hard with the awful messages this month. I love Billy Joel, though, and I ain't apologizing for it. Also, to me this song speaks of an empty, legalistic religion in some ways (I'm not sure why, I don't think it's the Catholic thing. Anyway, to me it seems pretty clearly intended to be read that way). 

8. Long Time Comin'- Bruce Springsteen 
It's a long time coming
A long time coming my dear
But now it's here
Out 'neath the arms of cassiopeia
The sword of orion sweeps
It's me and you rosie
Crackling like crossed wires
And you breathin' in your sleep
And you breathin' in your sleep
Well there's just a spark of the campfire left burning
Two kids in a sleeping bag beside
I reach 'neath your shirt, lay my hands across your belly
And feel another one kicking inside
It's no secret I think this guy is a poet and these words are just beautiful to me. The image of a family under the stars is so sweet and the man, we learn in later lyrics, is just doing his level best to be there for this family the way his own father wasn't. 

9. Growin' Up- Bruce Springsteen
These five Spingsteen songs are all from Live In Dublin and this is a great version of this song. I've actually included it on a previous playlist, but I've grown to love it even more since then. It's about a sort of anti-establishment, rebellious kid and for some reason it reminds me a bit of Graves, who is not a bad kid at all, but is full of mischief these days. There's a twinkle in his eye sometimes these days when he's doing something "naughty". Annie is actually the stubborn one and he rarely does things in a defiant way, but I can tell he likes to push buttons and see what he can get away with. Which is how I think of the kid in this song- not bad, really, just bored with the status qou and wanting an adventure. 
I took month-long vacations in the stratosphere, 
and you know it's really hard to hold your breath
I swear I lost everything I ever loved or feared, 
I was the cosmic kid in full costume dress
Well, my feet they finally took root in the earth, 
but I got me a nice little place in the stars
And I swear I found the key to the universe 
in the engine of an old parked car
I hid in the mother breast of the crowd, 
but when they said, "Pull down," I pulled up
Ooh... growin' up
Ooh... growin' up




10. Love of the Common People- Bruce Springsteen
Living on free food, tickets
Water in the milk from the hole in the roof
Where the rain came through
What can you do? Hm, hm
Tears from your little sister
Crying because she don't have a dress without a patch
For the party to go
But she'll know she'll get by, because she's
Living in the love of the common people
Smiles from the heart of the family man
Daddy's going to buy you a dream to cling to
Mama's going to love you just as much as she can, as she can...
You know that faith is your foundation
With a whole lot of love and a warm conversation
But don't forget to pray
Making you strong where you belong

One thing Bruce does really well is the "common people" theme. I love the way he captures their stories- their struggles and triumphs and every day heartaches like not having a dress for party that doesn't have a patch. I love the way he talks about faith and family and the meaning found in those things. My daily pains and joys are altogether different from those of the poor, but on those two things I can relate so much. 

11. This Little Light of Mine- Bruce Springsteen
Charles, bring us home!
I want you all to rise from your seats now please and join us!
Come on now! Here we go!
Well jesus gave me light (Jesus gave me light), I'm gonna let it shine (I'm gonna let it shine)
Well now Jesus gave me light (Jesus gave me light), and I'm gonna let it shine (I'm gonna let it shine)
Well now Jesus gave me light (Jesus gave me light), I'm gonna let it shine
Every day (every day), every day (every day)
Every day (every day), every day (every day)
Every day (every day), every day (every day)
I'm gonna let my little light shine
What an amazing version. I love getting Annie riled up when we sing it. 

12. When the Saints Go Marching In- Bruce Springsteen
We are trav'ling in the footsteps
Of those who've gone before,
And we'll all be reunited,
On a new and sunlit shore,
Oh, when the saints go marching in
Oh, when the saints go marching in
Lord, how I want to be in that number
When the saints go marching in...
And when the moon turns red with blood
And when the moon turns red with blood
Lord, how I want to be in that number
When the moon turns red with blood
Oh, when the trumpet sounds its call
Oh, when the trumpet sounds its call
Lord, how I want to be in that number
When the trumpet sounds its call
Some say this world of trouble,
Is the only one we need,
But I'm waiting for that morning,
When the new world is revealed.
I also love this one. Live in Dublin is very spiritual in some ways. The lines "when the new world is revealed" always creates a lump in my throat...just waiting for that morning, you know?

13. An American Trilogy- Elvis Presley
Oh I wish I was in the land of cotton
Old things they are not forgotten
Look away, look away, look away dixieland
Oh I wish I was in dixie, away, away
In dixieland I take my stand to live and die in dixie
Cause dixieland, that's where I was born
Early lord one frosty morning
Look away, look away, look away dixieland
Glory, glory hallelujah
Glory, glory hallelujah
Glory, glory hallelujah
His truth is marching on

This is the part where I start going through Peyton's library in alphabetical order. Such a gorgeous version of Dixie. 

14. And She Was- Talking Heads
And she was lying in the grass 
And she could hear the highway breathing 
And she could see a nearby factory 
She's making sure she is not dreaming 
See the lights of a neighbor's house 
Now she's starting to rise 
Take a minute to concentrate 
And she opens up her eyes 
The world was moving and she was right there with it (and she was) 
The world was moving she was floating above it (and she was) and she was 
Another slightly dirty song if you listen carefully, but it used to be one of my favorites. Just a really good beat, I think. 

15. Angel of Harlem- U2
Birdland on fifty-three
The street sounds like a symphony
We got John Coltrane and a love supreme
Miles, and she's got to be an angel
Lady Day got diamond eyes
She sees the truth behind the lies
Angel
Soul love
This love won't let me go
So long
Angel of Harlem
Angel of Harlem
I picked it pretty much because of the Harlem reference, but I really like it. I love how it includes some famous historical Harlem residents. 

16. Angel of the Morning- Juice Newton
Just call me angel of the morning angel
Just touch my cheek before you leave me, baby
Just call me angel of the morning angel
Then slowly turn away from me

This playlist wouldn't seem to be ending right if it didn't end on a raunchy note. This song is awful, in all honesty. But again, I was going through the "As" and I've loved it for so many years, so it needed to be included. 

That's where I ended for this month. I'm SO glad to be back to creating these again!

No comments: