Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Weekly Smorgasbord

This week's links:



On Friendship:
Posted: 13 Dec 2013 07:56 PM PST
Love this.
On the Power of Words:
Posted: 13 Dec 2013 08:07 PM PST
Whoa. So beautiful.

On Santa, Saint Nicholas, and Race:
Posted: 12 Dec 2013 09:54 PM PST
One of those awesome forensic guesswork things of the real "Santa Clause".
Posted: 12 Dec 2013 09:53 PM PST
No, Fox News, Jesus was not a white man. And Santa (not Saint Nicholas) is IMAGINARY and can be whatever race you want him to be. While you can't really choose what race a particular saint was, you're allowed to view/create an image of Santa you want for yourself and your children. As an aside, this isn't a hill to die on for me or anything, but guy was Greek. Quite a few Greeks do not self identify as white. Kinda doubt this guy would've. Anyway, my point is let's not fight over what color a mythical holiday man is and let's not claim silly things like that a first century Palestian Jew was white. Also, I guess it's just so ironic to me that Megyn Kelly was trying to say "you don't get to just remake historical figures to fit what you want them to look like", when that's clearly what we've done with both these figures for centuries.

On Red Heads:
Posted: 17 Dec 2013 08:25 PM PST
Interesting.

On Talented Kids:
Posted: 12 Dec 2013 12:25 PM PST
Love this.
Posted: 12 Dec 2013 12:25 PM PST
One more.
On Stuff That Will Make You Laugh Out Loud (for real maybe):
Posted: 17 Dec 2013 08:01 PM PST
Hilarious.

Posted: 14 Dec 2013 09:53 PM PST
Such a strange existential dilemma. I spend hours looking at this hole and poking at it with my fingers. I know that I cannot "have" a hole, as a hole is not a thing that can be had. A hole is an absence. And yet this is supposed to be a list of the things I want, and I want this hole in the hardwood floor the way Gandhi wanted peace. The way the dog wants to lick my face. The way my mother wants me to stop pulling off her eyeglasses." Hahaha.
Posted: 14 Dec 2013 09:50 PM PST
Oh my goodness. Hilarious.

Enjoy!

No comments: