Friday, March 14, 2014

Five Minute Friday: Crowd

Five Minute Friday

We're packed in as tight as a can of sardines and the smells are about as offensive. It's a balmy twenty two degrees on the Brooklyn streets above, but it feels like a furnace squeezed in between so many coat clad bodies.

Oh, the humanity.

And that's just it. The rainbow mosaic of coats and the rainbow mosaic of faces provide such a beautiful picture of humanity. I'm keenly aware that, just like the dots on a graph I saw the other night, each of these souls has a story. Has many stories.

Hipster boy in his flannel and hornrims with his nose deep in a book...I wonder if he thinks he'll change the world.

Full armed momma who smiles graciously- knowingly- at me...I wonder how many times she's told her small boy not to lick the subway pole.

Slow moving gentleman who boards cautiously with a cane in one hand and a package in another...I wonder how many hours-how many days- it would take him to share all the ways he's seen his beautiful city change all these years.

I hate a crowd, but really I love one.

7 comments:

Jennifer McLarty said...

That's my favourite way to experience a crowd - observing the beautiful, fascinating people around me. :)

Jennifer said...

Great post. Love the descriptions. Visiting from Five Minute Friday.

Emily Hoff said...

Beautifully written. I love your observations!

Sarah said...

You are always so good at these five minute exercises. This one was lovely.

The Mouchettes said...

Hey SD, I've loved following your move. I've emailed before asking for prayer--will y'all jot my name down and continue praying? To see with the eyes of faith that you see with and to trust and love and follow The Lord? Thanks.

Sarah Denley said...

Absolutely, I'll be praying, friend!

Nannette and the Sweetheart said...

Love this! Thank you so much for stopping by Hope in the Healing so I could find YOU. Blessings to you and your beautiful family. You are right, these are the best days of your life! Enjoy them...